Why become a member? ×

Music Man announces discontinuation of some colours/models

Meypelnek

Just read at the EBMM Forum: Music Man is going to discontinue a whole bunch of colours and models from 31 Oct. on. Among the cuts is the whole Reflex and Big Al line - what makes me in particular very sad. The Classic Sabre will only be available in 4 colours. And it seems that most (if not all) piezzo modells are discontinued.

Here's the link to the announcement: http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/61272-discontinued-music-man-list-october-31-2015-a.html

Nooooo

Not the Reflex, I'm only about about halfway through my efforts to save up for one. I think I'll have to keep the fund going & see what the new bass models are like. (Fingers crossed there are some new bass models)..

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1439296824' post='2841616']
Personally, I think the Big Al looks foul
[/quote]

Agree, it's very dated-looking and I think there would be a limited appeal there in terms of the looks, however it sounds absolutely boss! The Big Al and Bongo are two of the ugliest basses ever put together imo, but both sound incredible.

Edited by Funky Dunky

Obviously the Bongo sells better than the Big Al did. Even though I do not really think the Bongo is a big seller (looking at the big US internet stores, there are only a few in stock if any at all). But the Bongo has always been Big Poppa's masterpiece and darling (thanks so much!!!), so I think it will not be discontinued until he retires. The same might apply to the Gamechanger, that will obviously be continued. (I do not think they have sold more than 100 of those basses world wide, but you never know!).

I am so curious to see what comes next. Obviously there are already two new guitar models underway. One beeing sighted here: [url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/61276-coming-soon.html"]http://forums.ernieb...oming-soon.html[/url]

What about new bass models?

Edited by Meypelnek

[quote name='Meypelnek' timestamp='1439234634' post='2841172']
Just read at the EBMM Forum: Music Man is going to discontinue a whole bunch of colours and models from 31 Oct. on. Among the cuts is the whole Reflex and Big Al line - what makes me in particular very sad. The Classic Sabre will only be available in 4 colours. And it seems that most (if not all) piezzo modells are discontinued.

Here's the link to the announcement: http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/61272-discontinued-music-man-list-october-31-2015-a.html
[/quote]

It appears the classic Sabre is discontinued, which is a great shame IMO, and possibly the classic Sterling - the remainder of the classic line (Stingray and Stingray 5) will be available in four colours only. Also the left handed Bongo is discontinued.

Some cool colours disappearing there - and that's a lot of colours discontinued (presumably some of these are made mostly as customer order rather than dealer stock anyway currently).

Let's hope they continue to produce some nice limited editions.

Edited by drTStingray

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that it took me a while to understand EBMM's list, published in the forum. I even only recognized that the Classic Sabre is discontinued when A.J. from the Customer Service confirmed this in a post. What a shame. I was seriously hoping they would offer a 5-string version of that bass one day.

Speaking about the colours: I am not sure what it's like in the UK but in Germany it seems the colours ordered (from the stores/the distributor) are only Black, Steath Black (argh!), Sapphire Black (obviously the most common), Honeyburst and Vintage Burst for the Classic StingRays. Some stores have had PDN instruments in stock like the Emerald Green Sparkle, Neptune Blue, etc. But what I rarely saw Natural, Black Cherry Burst, Pacific Blueburst, Tangerine, etc. So, the overall picture in German (internet) stores will not change significantly.

I only hope that there will be new colours and perhaps another order/configuration mode for the instruments. And perhaps one new bass model for 2016?

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1441095884' post='2855922']
Wouldn't have mind a passive Big Al 5 string but the colours don't bother me..... If anything, if they focus on fewer finishes, I'm hoping it will drive the price down somewhat (less finishes, time saved, more basses coming off the production line...)
[/quote]

I suspect that they'll keep the same prices but make a greater profit due to increased efficiencies.

Edited by mr zed