Why become a member? ×

Lovely bass but, nope, I just can't live with...

TrevorR

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439930621' post='2846914']
We could do the pairs in Rio next year...

On a related note. Is the Wal history site yours? It an excellent piece of work, I've enjoyed hours on there.
[/quote]

Thanks, yes indeed. The child of a really nasty chest infection about 10 years ago which laid me up for the best part of a month and some free web-space from my then broadband provider. I thought. "I'm so bored I'll teach myself HTML and how to make a website... now, what could I do a website about? Hmmm... I know!!" Moved it all over to Blogger a few years ago.

Glad you enjoy it. Must get around to doing some updates some time.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1440001938' post='2847487']

Thanks, yes indeed. The child of a really nasty chest infection about 10 years ago which laid me up for the best part of a month and some free web-space from my then broadband provider. I thought. "I'm so bored I'll teach myself HTML and how to make a website... now, what could I do a website about? Hmmm... I know!!" Moved it all over to Blogger a few years ago.

Glad you enjoy it. Must get around to doing some updates some time.
[/quote]

It's excellent... A real treasure trove of history.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1439928825' post='2846890']
As much as I love Wal basses I do agree the headstocks are less than pleasing to the eye. Still want one right enough.
[/quote]

Wal headstocks are one of the very few that I do actually like.

Bucket list bass...
One day it will be mine... Oh yes.

I'm that weirdo who doesn't like traditional Fender designs. I find them as dull-looking as four-dour Chevys. Not a fan of the big 'elephant-ear' tuners either or any tuner with exposed gears on any kind of bass.

I don't like that three-post bridge on Gibson basses.

Not a fan of too-small pegheads/headstocks; they need to have some visual balance against the body size. Hate headless.

If by 'coffee table' you guys mean really exotic, very highly-figured woods, I'm mostly OK with those but there are some in recent years that seem like burls and look more like metamorphic rock than like wood and those haven't quite settled with me.

I never liked exposed truss-rods ends (or the holes they live in) either.

Agree with BigRedX.. people do change..

I swayed so many times, end up loving what I previously firmly against with..

1. Relic finish.
Yes, it's like cheating. But when I grabed a heavy relic 60's Nash, i just went straight to buy it. It just feels right.. It's not about the look, it just feels so relaxed in my hand.. It's like, you know.. you can't predict love or plan for it. If it comes, even cheating seems righteous..

2. Fender copies.
I've owned half a dozen of Fenders, and all are not good enough. Still against the idea of having jazz bass other than Fender, until I tried an Atelier Z. Now I hunt so many great jazz basses other than Fender. And I no longer call them as 'copies', 'clones', or 'Fender with steroids'. They are just great basses. We don't call Warwicks or Jerzy Drozds as Spector copies right?

3. Alleva Coppolo headstock design.
Still against it. But again.. the whole bass (the sound, the craftsmanship, not to mention.. scarcity) makes me (still trying) not to think about its corky design. And this bass is on the top of my must-have-list.

4. Precision bass.
Quickly changed after I saw Bobby Vega playing it. Still don't like it, but at least I have to have one. And again, it might not be a Fender. Maybe a Moollon or anything that cheaper than vintage P.

But yeah.. Ricks and Lakland's bridge.. they are just wrong..

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1439217806' post='2840949']
Relic finishes for me - I just hate it. I have no trouble with a bass that is showing lots of actual use but I really don't get the idea of battering some new bass to make it look like it has been played. Also, most of the relic work I have seen is pretty dubious - way too much wear and rust etc.
[/quote] This and I am not really a fan of gold hardware or burst finishes

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1439586129' post='2844268']
Except that is a bolt on not a thru neck... An old Wal trick when you have some different coloured heart and sap wood on the bookmatched facings. My Wal has a similar but more subtle version on the front...

[/quote]

You're quite right. Still revolted by the look though. The one thing that puts me off many Yamaha BBs is the 'stripes' in the headstock. Easily fixed by having the headstock face match the body colour, especially if it's white. Yum!

Basses that don't balance. Headstock heavy basses should never be allowed out of the factory.

And that brings me to another point - any bass made after about 1985 when the maker decided to use old fashioned enormous tuners. There is just no need for it - heavy clunky pointless things that add weight when there was no need to.

I don't care how much of a 'Reissue' a bass is, playability must come first. I was so very annoyed when Fender put heavy old tuners on the new Geddy Lee USA model. It's not a relic, or a reissue, it's a new model. It should have had Ultralites or something equally light weight and well made. And it could have knocked off almost half a pound.

I don't think I could have a bass with a short top horn, not because of the neckdive so much as the way the whole thing hangs too far to the left. This is unfortunate, as I love the look of the EB3,,hollowbodies, Status King bass and Steinberger basses :(

Edited by Roland Rock