Why become a member? ×

Lovely bass but, nope, I just can't live with...

TrevorR

[quote name='GILLY' timestamp='1439230575' post='2841112']
Any bass without fretboard dots.

They just look unfinished to me.
[/quote]

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I find that when basses DO have fret dots they look a bit naff depending on how they are done. Fender/rickenb*cker fret dots just look bad to me. Not a deal breaker however I do much prefer to not have them.

[quote name='GILLY' timestamp='1439230575' post='2841112']
Any bass without fretboard dots.

They just look unfinished to me.
[/quote]

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I find that when basses DO have fret dots they look a bit naff depending on how they are done. Fender/rickenb*cker fret dots just look bad to me. Not a deal breaker however I do much prefer to not have them.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1439280965' post='2841441']
Discreet is sounds like you need a Bright red or green T-bird mines the best thing for hiding behind in the world ;)

For me its small "modern" shaped bodies .. ala Ibanez or Warwick and I
fully expect to be stoned for this comment the post 51 P bass shape Love the sound HATE the look give me a slab any day.

My perfect bass looks like this but sounds nothing like it after trying one in wunjo's it was like a Musicman on helium
[/quote]

Thats an ovation magnum 3 , it can sound a little strange, especially if you favour the bridge pickup (stingray on helium) but if you favour the neck pickup and cut the tone it can supply huge low end power. A great if somewhat unusual bass, i gig with a practically identical magnum 1 all the time. These are the basses Jah wobble usually uses.

I was going to say gold hardware but if I liked a bass enough that'd be easy enough to swap out. The upper horn on corvettes and streamers, love everything about them but those upper horns put me off to the point that I wouldn't consider owning one.
Oh, spalted wood of any variety, enough to put me off any bass, can't stand the look of it.

Like gold hardware, like black hardware, hate silver hardware, looks unfinished.

Precision and stingray necks. Any neck that feels like an agricultural equipment.
20-21 fret necks.

Large fender tuners.
Cheap knobs.

BUt having said that, nothing is a deal breaker (except maybe singlecuts), I have basses with all those things on them, they are just things I try to avoid, but if the whole package works, then it works.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1439320263' post='2841931']
Any bass that isn't a Precison.....
[/quote]

I think if you changed that to "Any bass that isn't a 4-string Precision or Jazz", you'd have covered 95% of the posts in this thread. Quite depressing really.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1439328630' post='2842016']
Those coffee table basses where the fore-arm area has been chamfered away to leave an ugly stripe of contrasting exotic hardwood called something like 'ogankolo'.

Sorry, can't bring myself to search for a picture online :blush:
[/quote]

What like this? :lol:

A lot of what you guys hate comes down to simple design concepts. I feel like a lot of modern basses, especially ones trying to not look like other basses or look elaborate have zero visual appeal theory applied in their design. By that I mean they break just about all the golden rules that you learn about what's naturally appealing to the eye in any other field. It's hard because there are a lot of things you need to fit onto a bass for it to be functional, but a lot of brands don't make any effort to simplify and unclutter their basses. Would be great for more Companies to hire professional level concept artists or similarly trained artists to come up with new designs.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439362732' post='2842095']
What like this? :lol:

[/quote]

Love the pickups, the wood, the cutaway. Would prefer a different wood underneath, but it is still good. But not keen on those knobs!

--

just noticed though, that bit of light wood on the front of the cutaway, that would bug me over time!

Edited by Woodinblack

I like the Lakland bridge (I have to say that).

I'm not a fan of fretboard markings... I just don't see the point. Does the audience need to see where my fingers are? That's the only thing I'd change about my 55 01.

I'm indifferent to fretboard woods, I have light and dark and I like both.

The only thing I get borderline psychotic about is headstock configuration. I only usually play 5s so it's always going to be odd, but a 4 + 1 tuner layout just looks awful. Also when looking for a new bass recently I discounted the entire BTB range on the grounds that the tuners were laid out 2 on top and 3 underneath, who decided that? A pity really, as the couple I tried played lovely.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1439368496' post='2842142']
We might even be able to find a holy grail bass that whilst not everyone will love it - it would be a bass that we would all consider and not discount for the reasons above!
[/quote]

There will now be at least ten replies saying "A Precision".

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1439367403' post='2842129']

just noticed though, that bit of light wood on the front of the cutaway, that would bug me over time!
[/quote]

Well then, you clearly haven't spotted the bit of wood that the neck pickup's tone control is sitting on yet... ;-) Mwah ha ha ha!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1439405410' post='2842599']
Well then, you clearly haven't spotted the bit of wood that the neck pickup's tone control is sitting on yet... ;-) Mwah ha ha ha!
[/quote]

No, thats tasteful, as it has a (badly shaped) knob in the middle. The bit on the left, well that is just wrong :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1439213393' post='2840890']
Small bodies, single cuts, the top horn on a Corvette that looks like a nob, bog-seat Bongos, rosewood boards, shiny varnished necks, any of the forty seven million Jazz copies out there (no matter how much they cost), real Jazzes, Rickenbackers, anything other than 4s...
[/quote]
You've encompassed pretty much everything I own with that list :(

The only thing I have never ever shifted from hating is gold hardware.

I have gone through phases of liking and then hating a lot of the other things mentioned in this thread. At the moment I have a black Jazz with a black pickguard, it looks great but give it a year and I might hate basses that have the same body and pickguard colour.

I hated sunburst then loved it and hate it again now. Loved Stingrays but can't find one that I can get along with so I can't stand them now.

Gold hardware has always been a no!

I'm clearly far to liberal for this forum :blush:. I'm not keen on unbalanced basses with headstock diving to the floor when you play them sitting down. Similarly I don't really like very heavy basses. Hate is such a violent word though.