Why become a member? ×

Lovely bass but, nope, I just can't live with...

TrevorR

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1439416171' post='2842783']
You've encompassed pretty much everything I own with that list :(
[/quote]

That's OK, I'll bet my mixing silver and gold hardware on my Fenderbird would bring you out in a rash... :D

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1439533855' post='2843571']
Ditto. Except in my case the badge would either be the wrong colour or the wrong shape. Or something like that...
[/quote]

Or it would just be too heavy... :D

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1439563455' post='2843974']
Aargh! Yes. That one also features another pet hate, i.e. through-necks visible as contrasting stripes down the middle of the instrument.
[/quote]

Yes I did think that might arouse your disgust!

I think I'm in a minority in that I find modern coffee table basses attractive and I also love the Leo shapes and designs.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439564246' post='2843993']

I think I'm in a minority in that I find modern coffee table basses attractive and I also love the Leo shapes and designs.
[/quote]

With all the things wrong with that bass, as a great favour, for £10 I'll help you out and take it away... how's that?
I can't say fairer than that, can I? :P

(It's a good lookin' bass, honest, and you like it... nuff said.)

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1439564549' post='2844004']
With all the things wrong with that bass, as a great favour, for £10 I'll help you out and take it away... how's that?
I can't say fairer than that, can I? :P

(It's a good lookin' bass, honest, and you like it... nuff said.)
[/quote]

£15?

I absolutely love it and I couldn't be happier, but it won't be to everyones taste and I fully understand that.. it has six strings for a start!

It's being reviewed in BGM next month and I'm dying to know what they thought of it :blink:

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1439563455' post='2843974']

Aargh! Yes. That one also features another pet hate, i.e. through-necks visible as contrasting stripes down the middle of the instrument.
[/quote]

Except that is a bolt on not a thru neck... An old Wal trick when you have some different coloured heart and sap wood on the bookmatched facings. My Wal has a similar but more subtle version on the front...

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439564246' post='2843993']

[/quote]

There's at least two us!

Whatever any perceived faults, I think Leo's basses are all design classics along with the Gibsons and RICs. The fact they are all much copied is a testament to that surely?

I'm the opposite, dislike natural wood basses that one of trevorR's about 3 posts up reminds me off a coffee table we had as a kid, sorry Trev!
A bit of paint adds to the mystery, you never quite know whats under there...might even be plastic..or cardboard......or whittled bogies...anything!!

White finishes
Gold Hardware (on most basses)
Headless basses
< 4 strings is just wrong IMO
> 6 is just showing off :)
Very narrow string spacings (16.5 and below)
Ritter basses
Benavente basses
And any others that look like my 3 year old designed them...
> 24 frets I could live without

That felt great for a Monday morning rant :)

I'm not overly keen on the Lakland bridge, but I had a 5502 and got past it (the rest looked fine and it sounded good too) but you always know it's a Lakland bass. Small bodies look a little silly on my frame, but my 2 Ibbys are so comfortable and sound great. Gold hardware isn't a fave, but one of those Ibbys has gold on it (it fits in with the burr top). So if the sound is good and the ergonomics work, I can get on with anything except...[b]the G&L ASAT bass; a Telecaster body with a long bass neck, just seems wrong[/b] (I understand that they are lovely basses though).

Lots of people disliking large, ugly headstocks, but nobody has named my number 1 culprit for this, marring what would otherwise top my GAS list - Wal. Sorry Wal owners (esp CamdenRob who seems to be on the receiving end in this thread) but, when you consider the care and attention that has gone into the rest of the bass the headstock looks like an afterthought.

Also another vote for the Lakland bridge, did actually put me off when I was looking for a bass in that price range.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1439928847' post='2846891']
CamdenRob, I'll be able to row faster with my Pro, though! :-)
[/quote]

We could do the pairs in Rio next year...

On a related note. Is the Wal history site yours? It an excellent piece of work, I've enjoyed hours on there.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1439237491' post='2841220']

Its got a sort of Larry Graham vibe going on.
[/quote]

Yeah, either Larry Graham or Verdine White.

Gold hardware, headless, coffee table wood, single cuts look clunky to me, +1 on Fodera 4 string headstocks being too big, 5 or even more strings, LEDs, pointy heavy metal shapes, Rickenbacker and Gibson basses, weird organic shapes, light brown rosewood (it needs to be dark brown!), soft basswood bodies, huge bodies (JayDee, Alembic, regular J-bass), sunburst on a headstock looks weird cool on bodies though,