Why become a member? ×

Gospel Players

tobiewharton

Is Abraham a Gospel player.? I'm not sure. For me, the best Urban Gospel Band ever.. New Direction.. can't remember the bassist's name but his playing is supreme. there first album is a gospel bassist lovers dream. the bass playing is out there. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzXOJl3xXo[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1438983766' post='2839267']
not sure what you mean. Gospel. ?
[/quote]
[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1438984112' post='2839275']
Yes, gospel.
[/quote]
:D

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1438987012' post='2839304']
As with everything on YouTube, there's gold and there's tripe. It seems to be getting better and better though, as I suppose is to be expected. Why is the prevalence of the tritone substitution ironic Ambient?
[/quote]

Ah, the tritone which used to be called the devils interval or diabolus in musica was banned by the church, nowadays it's used widely in gospel music.

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1438982907' post='2839260']
Bubinga5 - I was thinking the same with Abe Laboriel. Will check out these guys. Do you play yourself? The guys who are standing out for me at the moment are Justin Raines (Israel Houghton, amongst others) and Maurice Fitzgerald (Kurt Carr, amongst others).
[/quote]

Wouldn't say Abe Laboriel is particularly pegged as a gospel player, esp given his broad session rep and smooth jazz output. However he has done a fair bit of gospel playing with the likes of Andre Crouch, Ron Kenoly and Alvin Slaughter. Must say that I love all his playing but mostly listen to his first two solo albums and his stuff with Koinonia.

Thaddeus Tribbett is another gospel player I would recommend. There's a video on YouTube where he plays with Robert Glasper (a little distorted though). Also, Alan 'Snoop' Evans. He plays on fred hammond's 'awesome god'. Incredible playing on that.

Edited by ML94

• 3 months later...