Why become a member? ×

Yammie MSG deluxe on Fleabay

Kiwi

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1439899183' post='2846560']
looks like it may be heavy, are they?[/quote]

No heavier than a Les Paul. Both made from the same materials although the sunburst is lighter than the blonde.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1438945079' post='2838827']
That is nice! Somewhere between a solid 335 and a double-cut LP/

And with a locking vibrato...
[/quote]
It was Martyn Booth's response to seeing Gibson produce a solid version of the 335. Apparently MB used to work for Gibson and thought he could do a lot better, so in effect the MSG is the guitar that Gibson (and perhaps by inference, Martyn) should have made...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1441192537' post='2856765']
Not chambered at all then? I have to say that's a very appealing design. Do you really need 3 though? :)
[/quote]
Nope but they're an appealing design and great to play. While the design isn't chambered I'm giving serious thought to chambering the sunburst one and putting an f hole in as it's a tad brittle sounding. Perhaps because it's lighter than the other two.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1441369672' post='2858339']
That sounds like a long-drawn out process, not to mention tricky! Good luck with it though. What's the model of that Gibson (or is it Epiphone?) that is a smaller bodied version of the 335? That would be pretty much the same then. I think it's a 339
[/quote]It is both Gibson and Epiphone and it is the ES339. The Epi version has more models, one straight ahead (as is the Gibson version), one with coil taps (my guitarist has one of these, they're amazingly good and versatile) and one with piezo (I think I'm right in saying that there are 3 of them).

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1441369672' post='2858339']
That sounds like a long-drawn out process, not to mention tricky! Good luck with it though. What's the model of that Gibson (or is it Epiphone?) that is a smaller bodied version of the 335? That would be pretty much the same then. I think it's a 339
[/quote]

It would involve planing the back down by the finished thickness of the replacement cap, routing the mahogany core out in both wings, routing out the f hole, then drilling the underside of the cap out to consistent thickness and planing/sanding smooth. Then putting a mahogany face on the back, chamfering the edges and refinishing.