Why become a member? ×

Keanu Reeves is left-handed, but plays bass guitar with his right hand.

ruztiwarren

Yep - me too! Write left-handed but play bass and guitar right-handed.
My son is the same - he's a lefty but plays drums (and some guitar) right-handed.
I've tried writing right-handed with only a small degree of success, but when it comes to playing bass or guitar, forget it... definitely only a righty.

I'm a leftie, play the bass and guitar righty, just feels right(y) to me. Maybe because I started on the violin...
when it comes to playing the drums, I have it set up right, but play open handed ie bass on right foot, left hand on the hihat.
My feet are equally inept on the bass drum, so i figured it less trouble to set up "right". I Think Simon Phillips does (or was it Phil Collins) and didn't seem to hold him back (sorry, bit off bass topic for a mo there - won't happen again!)

My old guitarist was a lefty who played righty.

Most irritating thing I ever saw was when a lefty girlfriend decided she would take up playing drums. I sat down with her and showed her some basic stuff, then swapped the hi-hats and snare around for her and she nailed all the beats really quickly, so I showed her some harder stuff, forgot to swap the set around and she nailed it all right-handed. I made her go to a proper drum teacher!

Another lefty playing right here too. Apparently left handers are more creative (as well as more intelligent, handsome, virile and just generally better) - maybe that explains the high number on here? :)

Edited by Muppet

[quote name='Wil' post='274536' date='Sep 1 2008, 02:09 PM']Once saw a left handed bassist who played a right handed bass, flipped over left handed, but strung normally (IE not flipped to compensate). No idea why, his technique was as a result very bizarre. Quite a good player though.[/quote]
Might have been Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets. Though he's used a proper leftie bass for years now, he still strings upside-down.

I believe guitarist Robert Fripp is another example of a leftie who plays right-handed.

+1
Im left handed too and i play right handed, when i started on guitar many moons ago, my dad wouldnt let me swap the strings around on my acoustic guitar so was forced to play right handed, took longer to get my head around but well worth it, once tried a friends left handed bass and i couldnt do a thing with it (or right handed for that matter :) )
keep the flag flying southaws- lee

Im a lefty playing right handed also! Im suprised theres so many of us on here.
I decided to play right handed when i started becasue i could get my squire prescision for cheaper! was a great day.

im a lefty.
I started off trying to play my mums aucoustic guitar. I was rubbish, it always made sense cos i could move my right hand up and down without thinking no prob but fretting was harder so it was good to use my left hand.

I also use high action and thick strings on my bass.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='274543' date='Sep 1 2008, 02:14 PM']flea can play both left handed and right handed, during the californication tour at one point he was playing a left handed modulus due to one of his hands f***ing up, id imagine the left

afaik he is right handed[/quote]

I'm intrigued by this, as I wasn't aware that Modulus made any lefthanders? They aren't listed as options on their website from my memory, so maybe it was a special one-off model? I'd love to get me one of them!!

[quote name='lee650' post='275129' date='Sep 2 2008, 12:39 AM']+1
Im left handed too and i play right handed, when i started on guitar many moons ago, my dad wouldnt let me swap the strings around on my acoustic guitar so was forced to play right handed, took longer to get my head around but well worth it, once tried a friends left handed bass and i couldnt do a thing with it (or right handed for that matter :huh: )
keep the flag flying southaws- lee

Im a lefty playing right handed also! Im suprised theres so many of us on here.
I decided to play right handed when i started becasue i could get my squire prescision for cheaper! was a great day.[/quote]
Ibelive all left handers who play right handed are traitors :) :huh: , and should be forced to return to playing left handed :huh: . They are the main reason you can hardly find a decent lefty bass. Took me over two years to find my new bass which is a zoot chaser which i love, thats my 2nd bass in 25 years
p.s Joe Strummer was left handed

I'm a lefty playing righty!!!

[quote name='Buzz' post='274465' date='Sep 1 2008, 01:23 PM']It's true though, we're geniuses, that's why we decided to learn to do it the opposite way to what we're comfortable to, just to prove we can (and we realised that 95% of manufactured basses are righties).[/quote]

Wierd you should say that... I'm more comfortable playing righty. And on my brothers drums I'm more comfotable playing righty. And I can't imagine how wierd it'd be to play left handed piano. And on that i bat right handed in cricket (not very well mind). And I'm right footed.

Perhaps I'm a righty who writes left handed?