Why become a member? ×

Do bassists want to hear bass solos?

MacDaddy

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1439021624' post='2839394']...Have you ever heard a bass solo that you could say was essential to the song and done for entirely musical reasons? I haven't, except for a couple of examples from the Classical world, and they're very short and to the point....
[/quote]
[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1439025131' post='2839429']...
I've never heard a bass solo that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up...that's the sum of it for me.
[/quote]

Does this not do anything for anybody ..?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3SBp9qzTM[/media]

It's better yet in the context of the whole album, but, imo, stands on its own merits. Nowt to do with 'widdling' nor showing off. All our tastes are different, I know, but still... :unsure:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1438893951' post='2838556']
Plenty of non bass players like a decent bass solo. I get applauded regularly by lay people :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, I find that when I play a bass solo, everyone applauds when I stop.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1439027247' post='2839444']
Does this not do anything for anybody ..?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3SBp9qzTM[/media]

It's better yet in the context of the whole album, but, imo, stands on its own merits. Nowt to do with 'widdling' nor showing off. All our tastes are different, I know, but still... :unsure:
[/quote]

It's not something I'd listen to a second time

At the risk of splitting hairs, do people object to hearing the bass in isolation at all, or just to dedicated passages where the bassist gets 16 bars to have a freestyle widdle? Only, I'd be very surprised if you all thought the bass/guitar call-and-response in the middle of [i]My Generation [/i]added nothing to the song. On the other hand, I've heard some fairly underwhelming passages where the bassist was given free rein to do as he pleased - but nothing so bad that I'd have moved to outlaw them!

Do bassists want to hear bass solos? I'd say there are lots of bassists that would want to hear bass solos. Depends on the person's particular taste. No different to any other musician.

The whole "Bass should never be a solo instrument" is a valid opinion for someone to have I suppose but bass can and has been used effectively in a solo context. Whether someone likes it or not isn't going to change that and saying you haven't heard a good one is completely subjective to a person's taste.

As a rule I tend to not like 10 minutes of blazing up and down the scales for no reason other than "look at me" on any instrument, but if the mood of a song calls for an interlude or solo lead by a bass then go for it. Granted there doesn't tend be as many places that it's needed compared to piano / keyboard or guitar but that doesn't mean it should be non existent or overlooked.

For me it depends on the definition of solo (and this goes for any other instrument too). If we're talking literally, about the unaccompanied 'show 'em what you can do' type thing, I'm off to the bar. If we're talking about the rest of the band holding back and allowing the bass to take the lead, within the context of the piece, I think there's a place for that in most genres. I'd listen to that.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1439374248' post='2842199']
For me it depends on the definition of solo (and this goes for any other instrument too). If we're talking literally, about the unaccompanied 'show 'em what you can do' type thing, I'm off to the bar. If we're talking about the rest of the band holding back and allowing the bass to take the lead, within the context of the piece, I think there's a place for that in most genres. I'd listen to that.
[/quote]

With the exception of a drum solo, I'm not sure what instrument would ever play completely solo within a band context.

You always need a rhythm and bass line to accompany a solo. As I wrote before when the bass solos you need something to fill the rhythm and bass function that you lose when the bass isn't fulfilling that role. It can be done to very good effect but it's hard and you don't often hear it. Possibly because the other instrumentalists don't understand what function the bass actually does.

Just roots isn't it?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1439376259' post='2842218']
You always need a rhythm and bass line to accompany a solo.
[/quote]

Not at all. There are whole albums of solo bass out there. Indeed, whilst we all know there are solo pianists and guitarists recording, there are also solo soprano sax players (Sam Newsome), solo alto sax (Anthony Braxton), solo tenor (Joe Lovano), solo double bass (Dave Holland, J.J Avernel, Glen Moore, Miroslav Vitous etc etc), solo voice (Bobby McFerrin). Soloing without the support of a rhythm section has a well-established history and some of the stuff produced in this waty is really beautiful.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1439379111' post='2842259']

Not at all. There are whole albums of solo bass out there. Indeed, whilst we all know there are solo pianists and guitarists recording, there are also solo soprano sax players (Sam Newsome), solo alto sax (Anthony Braxton), solo tenor (Joe Lovano), solo double bass (Dave Holland, J.J Avernel, Glen Moore, Miroslav Vitous etc etc), solo voice (Bobby McFerrin). Soloing without the support of a rhythm section has a well-established history and some of the stuff produced in this waty is really beautiful.
[/quote]

Traditionally with a pop/rock band setting, if everyone stopped playing for someone to play a solo, I suspect everyone would stop dancing and go to the bar. :D

Even guitar solos wouldn't work if the rest of the band dropped out every-time the guitar solo started.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1438856137' post='2837993']

I agree.

I'm really hoping you have misunderstood what some posters have written. I really can't believe anyone actually does believe bass should only be a supporting instrument.

Particularly any decent bass player who regards themself as a musician.

Scary.
[/quote]

I have to agree with you. I can't believe how some people can be so blinkered and narrow minded with regard to music. Music is, well music, what does it matter what instrument produces it ?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1439376259' post='2842218']

With the exception of a drum solo, I'm not sure what instrument would ever play completely solo within a band context.

You always need a rhythm and bass line to accompany a solo. As I wrote before when the bass solos you need something to fill the rhythm and bass function that you lose when the bass isn't fulfilling that role. It can be done to very good effect but it's hard and you don't often hear it. Possibly because the other instrumentalists don't understand what function the bass actually does.

Just roots isn't it?
[/quote]

But to my mind, the function that most members on here assign to the bass, is just one. The bass can exist and can solo beautifully outside of a rhythm section, just listen to anything my Michael Manring.

Too many people listen to music with their eyes, rather than their ears. They see an instrument and have a preconceived idea regarding what it's function or sound is going to be, or should be.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1439386878' post='2842371']

Too many people listen to music with their eyes, rather than their ears. They see an instrument and have a preconceived idea regarding what it's function or sound is going to be, or should be.
[/quote]

Well said.

I always want to hear the bass holding down a deep groove with the occasional fill that makes you think, "Nice,". But then I hear Andy Fraser's Mr Big solo on Free Live, Stanley Clarke playing the solo on School Days, or Mark King playing Dune Tune and I'm not so sure. If it's good - it's good.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1439386878' post='2842371']
[/quote]

Then you will be entranced by my soon-come Suite For Plank and Ball-peen Hammer provisionally entitled 'We've Got The Builders In'.

It is a work for music and words wherein I myself perform the music and provide the accompanying narration. Here is what young people call a sneak peek:

Bang! Bang! "Fakking Gunners sh*te or what?" Bang bang bang! "Wenger? What a fakking kant" Bang bang! "Gary! Gary! Gary! Yew ear wot I fakkin' said? Wenger. Kant!" Bang bang bang bang bang bang!

Everything is art, you see.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1439394379' post='2842454']

Then you will be entranced by my soon-come Suite For Plank and Ball-peen Hammer provisionally entitled 'We've Got The Builders In'.

It is a work for music and words wherein I myself perform the music and provide the accompanying narration. Here is what young people call a sneak peek:

Bang! Bang! "Fakking Gunners sh*te or what?" Bang bang bang! "Wenger? What a fakking kant" Bang bang! "Gary! Gary! Gary! Yew ear wot I fakkin' said? Wenger. Kant!" Bang bang bang bang bang bang!

Everything is art, you see.
[/quote]

That sounds similar to my O'Level music composition where I used our Hoover and kitchen blender to great effect.

Alas long before sampling came along and ruined the creativity.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1439394932' post='2842459']

That sounds similar to my O'Level music composition where I used our Hoover and kitchen blender to great effect.

Alas long before sampling came along and ruined the creativity.
[/quote]

Quite so. Some people think that one might 'turntable' a piece such as mine. Which proves how far artistic standards have fallen since our days at the conservatoire. It really is appalling.

• 3 weeks later...