Why become a member? ×

Do bassists want to hear bass solos?

MacDaddy

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1438779978' post='2837186']
Those who are dead against bass solos - are you just thinking about the context of the music that you play? Is it just that you can't imagine a good bass solo in this context?
[/quote]

I am thinking in any music.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1438779978' post='2837186']
I find it very strange for any musician to write off an almost infinite amount of musical possibilities just because it's called a "bass solo", but it would make sense if you were talking about your pub-rock-covers band.
[/quote]

Obviously in a pub-rock covers band, it would depend on what you are covering!

But, no I am not against the concept of a bass solo, just never heard one that didn't make me be somewhere else listening to something else, so I assume that for me there is no such thing as a good bass solo.

If you want to listen to someone widdling away on a bass then obviously you would believe there is such a thing as a good bass solo. And that is great, somewhere where Im not.

It's a matter of taste. Solo bass guitar worked well in Tubular Bells. There are plenty of jazz bass players capable of playing an interesting, occasional solo, but - like drummers - they're never going to sustain interest for very long. However, all bass guitarists trying to show off their flashy w***ing skills..... errr I mean soloing skills..... come across like mediocre classical guitarists - even those who are amazing players. IMO, of course.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1438780447' post='2837201']
Good playing is a good thing, on any instrument.

I'd love to play clever, intelligent and impressive solo's. Unfortunately my brain isn't wired for soloing, so I don't.
[/quote] +1

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1438777056' post='2837113']
I like to hear [i]melodic[/i] solos. [/quote]

Same here -- own the melody, own the tune. The breakdown thing doesn't do much for me, but it definitely works pretty well in dance music contexts and a lot of bassists and drummers seem more comfortable with it. I'm definitely not keen on hearing reluctant solos in any case.

Warning: fusion content. Those with an allergy to such things may like to look away now.
If I could solo like this (1:40 to 3:00), I'd be the happiest bunny in all of toyland.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cFrYRBYmNw[/media]

I'm in the 'Bass solos can work really well in Jazz' camp.

But then only for about 30 seconds to a minute tops.

Other genres I'd have to take on a case by case basis , but generally its a bad idea - 99% of audiences would prefer it if you just did another song.

I'm not someone who is a confident bass soloist so I rarely attempt them in public. I do like to listen to others play them to work out what I like or dislike about any particular solo and get some idea of how to develop something interesting to play. To my ears the most interesting bass solos are improvised ones that I've heard in jazz based music from musicians who have something to say and are able to articulate themselves and their bass in a musically appealing way whether it's melodic or way out. Seeing and hearing a virtuoso musician expressing themselves on bass or any instrument is an inspiration.
The first bass solo I can remember hearing outside Jazz was on "Do What You like" from the Blind Faith album. It's not flash technical or anything like that, just a great solo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZfCMg93SpM&spfreload=10
Starts at 5:31

We play the Buzzcocks Ever Fallen in Love, in the section before the last chorus I step forward, the singer announces my bass solo, I raise the neck to the sky and play one one stunningly for 20 seconds or so to critical huge acclaim...bring on the bass solo if you ask me :ph34r:

On a serious note listening to a good solo like Everybody Dance or The Aeroplane song I think sounds great...what about Pino's intro to Wherever I lay My Hat, it is really a solo and makes the song....done right I have no objections to a bass solo

I like it when the bass takes a prominent role in the song for a short period of time whilst remaining integrated (if that makes sense) but many bass solos I hear or observe seem to be merely an opportunity for someone to show off their technical ability, as if they are out to prove a point. Slap solos send me to the bar.

Think its horses for courses.
I personally wouldn't do a solo spot. I'd rather have a nice bass run in a quiet spot of a song.
I do like to hear solos in certain bands at a professional level ie Geddy Lee, Alan Caron, Jeff Berlin altho i prefer to hear them do a bass part that simply stands out from the rest of the song which they are all expert at.
I've heard many bassists over the years do solos that surprised me a lot like the late great Trevor Bolder with Uriah Heep, Tony Franklin with Power Station and on the other hand i've heard bass solos that were fast but boring with no tune. Don't enjoy that type of solo.
Some bassists were disappointing like Roger Glover with DP few yrs back. Great Rock bassist and when it comes to holding a band together there won't be many better rock bassists but solo was boring and no tune and didn't impress me.
In some bands it works but in others it just doesn't fit the music or the set list.
I definately don't want to hear a covers band do a bass solo.

Dave

Yes I like a good bass solo. Some are great. Some aren't. Same goes for guitar, keys, drums, etc solos.

Here's one of my favourites, seeing as someone mentioned Alain Caron (solo about 1m20s in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QD9y8fw9l8

The secret of a good solo is having the bits that are missing when the bass drops out, covered by the other instruments.

If you have no solid groove behind the music then the audience cannot understand what is happening.

So an out and out solo, where the drums keep the beat, everyone else drops out and the bass goes off on one is never going to appeal to anyone.

Likewise, if everything drops out but the bass and drums keep the groove (not really as solo, just a break) all is good.

If the guitarist or keys player are regimented enough to play a solid groove under the solo there is absolutely nothing wrong with the bass player soloing.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1438799012' post='2837510']
NO! I loathe bass solos with a passion and hate having to do them at the drop of a hat when the singer suddenly decides it's a good idea. [b]Bass is not and never should be a solo instrument.[/b]
[/quote]

Ahem. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1438780544' post='2837206']
It is obvious to me that there will [u]never[/u] be any sort of agreement in the "basses are not suitable instruments for solos / yes they are / no they aren't / yes they are / etc" argument, so can we steer clear of the whole suitability chestnut? Otherwise I can see it getting personal and/or ending in tears. I think there's plenty of room for debate on this subject without that specific facet.
[/quote]

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1438800504' post='2837541']
Ahem. :rolleyes:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]It is obvious to me that there will [/size][/font][/color][u]never[/u][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] be any sort of agreement in the "basses are not suitable instruments for solos / yes they are / no they aren't / yes they are / etc" argument, so can we steer clear of the whole suitability chestnut? Otherwise I can see it getting personal and/or ending in tears. I think there's plenty of room for debate on this subject without that specific facet.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

:) With genuine respect,isn't the 'suitability' or otherwise of the bass guitar for soloing pretty crucial to any debate of bass solos? The fact that all the action's going on [i]way down there[/i] is the principle reason why basses are less frequently solo'd than - say - piano or guitar.

Thing is, there's very little precedent in the classical music world for bass solos or concertos simply because (until the advent of amplification in concert halls) the double bass hasn't been loud enough to carry over the rest of the orchestra in a live context. No cut through, see, and asking the orchestra to turn down just doesn't work.

The bass doesn't have a history of being a lead instrument because throughout most of its - er - history the bass wasn't a [i]suitable[/i] instrument.

Anyway, let's not worry. People can find lots of ways to get snarky about bass solos without ever mentioning the matter of range. I mean, we haven't even got on to the 'showing off' thing yet. :P

Edited by skankdelvar

To me a bass player taking a solo is always a bit like a dog walking on its hind legs - the enjoyment comes not from how good it is, but from the fact he can do it at all. A bass solo that a non-bass player would want to listen to is a VERY rare thing