Why become a member? ×

BBC introducing

Chris Sharman

Good morning my learned purveyors of the lower frequencies, I write today requesting your collective knowledge upon BBC introducing.

Has anyone here used them, uploaded tracks and had airplay etc? How was it, did it take a long time for you to get contact from them after uploading tracks, or did you get no contact from them at all? I am based in the East Midlands and I was also wondering if there is differing experiences dependant upon geographical location?

All experiences and viewpoints are welcome and I open my ears to your collective wisdom.

Thanks in advance,

C.

We've used it.

Mr Venom deals with this side of things, but IIRC you can log in and see if anyone has listened to your tracks. I believe ours were all auditioned within a week of being uploaded.

Whether or not you get any airplay is entirely down to the people who make those decisions for your local show and if they like you or not.

Nottingham (and consequently the East Midlands) is very much in the grip of fey singer-songerwriters with acoustic guitars, so unless you fit into that genre you will probably be disappointed. We have uploaded the tracks from all three of our EPs (as well as supplying actual physical copies of the CDs and vinyl to Radio Nottingham) but have only ever had one track played on the radio. You would have thought that a local band with it's own records available for sale would be important enough for a local music show to at least play one track of each release, but apparently not.

Good luck, but don't expect much.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1438770293' post='2837032']
We've used it.

Mr Venom deals with this side of things, but IIRC you can log in and see if anyone has listened to your tracks. I believe ours were all auditioned within a week of being uploaded.

Whether or not you get any airplay is entirely down to the people who make those decisions for your local show and if they like you or not.

Nottingham (and consequently the East Midlands) is very much in the grip of fey singer-songerwriters with acoustic guitars, so unless you fit into that genre you will probably be disappointed. We have uploaded the tracks from all three of our EPs (as well as supplying actual physical copies of the CDs and vinyl to Radio Nottingham) but have only ever had one track played on the radio. You would have thought that a local band with it's own records available for sale would be important enough for a local music show to at least play one track of each release, but apparently not.

[/quote]

I won't.

It's unfortunate that the "fey singer-songwriter" seems to be favoured by them (Water for Dogs are DEFINITELY NOT in that category) but I suppose it makes it easy to get them in for a live session in the studio. God know what they would think if we turned up with stacks of keyboards etc...

I think it depends on the djs/producers of the programmes. I've had two tracks played fairly recently here in Wales. He's very much on the button and his show is all about new content and nearly all of it is Welsh. He actively seeks music on the uploader and discourages anyone sending physical copies.
When I worked for bbc I did volunteer my services as a listener for the radio 1 uploader when it first started. (I dont know if it still exists). I gave up after 3 days as I couldn't give the music my attention it deserved. To my ears most of it sounded trash. I'd give it 10 secs then move on. (I'd be gutted if someone with that attitude was listening to my music!)

Yeah, have had bands which uploaded stuff and got played. Even got asked to do a live session on 3 Counties as a result of that I think.
Most recently played on BBC Introducing Guernsey with the new project as the guitarist (based in London) is from Guernsey.

Si

We have used it and have had Tom Robinson select a couple of our tracks from it to play on his show on 6 Music. We've also performed live in our local BBC studios a couple of times through their 'introducing' programme, so I guess it works for us. I'm not sure there is much more to it than luck and right place right time though.

steve

I've used it to no avail... but it's very easy to do, so can't hurt giving it a shot.

As others have mentioned, the shortlisting seems to be in the lap of whoever the Beeb employs to listen to each track - and I imagine they have to listen to [i]a lot[/i] of them and make their decisions very quickly.

Also bear in mind that it's for mainstream radio play, so I'd advise uploading your best quality material in terms of production.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1438774628' post='2837081']
We've had both of our submitted tracks played. TBH I don't know who listens, but any exposure is good, and you can say you've been featured on the BBC
[/quote]

Showoff! :P

Think my former band got some plays on the local Beeb station out of it. The guy responsible there does keep his head in the local scene and there's a fair amount of local acts doing live sessions. We went in for one, although I foolishly assumed the BBC of all people would expect (and have the facility) to DI a bass when bringing a band in for an acoustic session. Apparently I should have taken an amp.

A band I tech for did go in and do a 6music session at Media City in Salford, they were a little more clued up in there!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1438770293' post='2837032']
We've used it.

[/quote]

We experience really, as in Nottingham too.
Even met Dean Jackson at a show and told us personally he would play us on the radio, but again we aren't folk/acoustic/singer/songwriter/indie so they just don't care, regardless of what the rest of the UK are actually listening too.

Generally depends where you are from and what appears to be popular at the time. If it isn't the same as that then you'll have a tougher time.

Edited by Prime_BASS

Seems to depend on where you're based, as others have said. I'm in a duo where we just do recording and do everything between us; he plays guitar and sings, I play bass and keys and we share the the BFD programming and production side of things.
I live in Shropshire and he lives in Nottingham, so we submit tracks to both stations, and while we've had about a dozen plays here in Shropshire, we've only been played once in Nottingham.
The other obvious point is that there's going to be a lot more competition in Nottingham and larger cities than in more rural counties. Radio station producer and presenter personal taste/bias aside.