Why become a member? ×

Looking for a high end bass

joshua.harris1234

Hi,

At the moment I'm looking at very high end bass companies so I can save up for something that is really worth the money. I've also had a lot of Fender basses in the time I've been playing so it would definitely be very nice to have something new that will last and yet be as versatile as possible :) preferably a 5 string please and under £4000. This is a very wide price range and I'm open to any suggestions but I'd rather avoid the fender shapes. The only Fender shape that caught my eye recently was a Carvin JB5 which is surprisingly under £1000 from the options that I chose which was absolutely brilliant but I already have a jazz bass in my arsenal.

For years and years I've always dreamt of having a Fodera, more specifically the Yin Yang or Emperor 5 but this will take me 6 years to save up for. I'd be happy to wait this sort of time as I'm happy with some of the basses that I have already. The Warwick Streamer Stage 1 really caught my eye too but this will also take the same time as the Fodera and it's whether it's actually worth saving up for that length of time for rather than the Fodera. Finally, if you could find one of this sort of high end bass standard for under £3000 or £2000 that would also be great too :)

I know this topic is very generic and I may have not provided enough detail of what I'm looking for (even though I've wrote paragraphs lol but I know what you guys are like ;) ) but I've run out of ideas and narrowed it down to Fodera, Warwick and Carvin which are very different beasts, especially Carvin but Carvin is the only one that is marginly affordable.

Thank you so much,

Josh

If you've already got a bass that does the job then carry on doing what you're doing and get saving for the Fodera. It seems like this is what you really want so remain focussed on achieving that goal. Anything else just won't be the Fodera you desire. Of course in the meantime you could buy second hand high end basses and flip them without losing too much money until you've saved up enough for your dream bass.

Status, Wal, ACG, and Mayones, not in any order...

Fodera & Warwick at £6-7,000 or more! are way overpriced, in the end its just wood, and electronics...but if you have to have a status symbol bass then like everything you have a decent choice!!

I Haven;t owned anything high end except a Wal (fretless) which I stupidly let go.......but you could go second hand on a Wal and I'm sure would still play beautifully. Expertly made.

I would wait until you find something you think is worth the money :)

I wouldn't be setting out with the express purpose of buying a high end bass then trying to decide what I wanted... It should really be driven the other way, in that you discover a bass that ticks all the boxes for you and if it happens to be expensive then that's the time to make the investment.

Can't harm saving up the money for when the time does come that you find what your looking for though :)

Don't get too carried away with your dreams IMO and with that kind of money, play before you pay if at all possible. Some years ago I pulled the trigger on a high end bass, purchased it online, but after a couple of days of playing it, I new the neck was not for me. I had to send it back to have the neck reshaped.
Lesson learned and I would never buy a bass now without playing it first.

Make a trip to Bass Direct and BassGear and try a load of basses out - just because an instrument has a high price doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. Even if a Fodera/Ritter/whatever has been built out of the best materials available, with attention paid to every tiny detail and exquisite workmanship, it doesn't automatically follow that you will find it inspiring to play or producing the sound you want.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1438510897' post='2834987']
I would be having a look at the Dingwall website :)
[/quote]

This! If you're looking second-hand you could have something other-worldly for that budget - Bass Direct would be one of my starting points.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1438519956' post='2835094']
Make a trip to Bass Direct and BassGear and try a load of basses out - just because an instrument has a high price doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. Even if a Fodera/Ritter/whatever has been built out of the best materials available, with attention paid to every tiny detail and exquisite workmanship, it doesn't automatically follow that you will find it inspiring to play or producing the sound you want.
[/quote]

+1

You get all excited about a piece of kit, try it, and then 'meh'. In a shop, fine; but you don't want to be saying 'meh' when you've bought it online (distance selling rights notwithstanding), even less so when you've had something custom built.

I'd say that if you're looking at a new Fodera custom, you're looking at about 2.5k more than your upper limit. However, if you're utterly at home with, and sure of the spec that you want, you'll likely never want for another bass again.
That said, the Standard series basses are within your price range, not to mention the fact that there are some lovely Fodera customs in the for sale section here that are within your budget.
Other than that, I'd seriously consider ACG, for your spec, you'd probably absolutely top out at 2.5k.
I'd also seriously consider a Benavente.

Si

[quote name='joshua.harris1234' timestamp='1438509879' post='2834962']
Hi,

At the moment I'm looking at very high end bass companies so I can save up for something that is really worth the money. I've also had a lot of Fender basses in the time I've been playing so it would definitely be very nice to have something new that will last and yet be as versatile as possible :) preferably a 5 string please and under £4000. This is a very wide price range and I'm open to any suggestions but I'd rather avoid the fender shapes. The only Fender shape that caught my eye recently was a Carvin JB5 which is surprisingly under £1000 from the options that I chose which was absolutely brilliant but I already have a jazz bass in my arsenal.

For years and years I've always dreamt of having a Fodera, more specifically the Yin Yang or Emperor 5 but this will take me 6 years to save up for. I'd be happy to wait this sort of time as I'm happy with some of the basses that I have already. The Warwick Streamer Stage 1 really caught my eye too but this will also take the same time as the Fodera and it's whether it's actually worth saving up for that length of time for rather than the Fodera. Finally, if you could find one of this sort of high end bass standard for under £3000 or £2000 that would also be great too :)

I know this topic is very generic and I may have not provided enough detail of what I'm looking for (even though I've wrote paragraphs lol but I know what you guys are like ;) ) but I've run out of ideas and narrowed it down to Fodera, Warwick and Carvin which are very different beasts, especially Carvin but Carvin is the only one that is marginly affordable.

Thank you so much,

Josh
[/quote]

If you want a Fodera, you'll have to have a Fodera...

If you are just after a great quality custom bass, made exactly to your specs etc... I'd look at Maruszczyk:
[url="http://public-peace.de/index.php/maruszczyk-instruments"]http://public-peace.de/index.php/maruszczyk-instruments[/url]

They know how to make a great bass, and they'll be able to do *anything*. The website only gives you a range of ideas... mosty Fender-inspired, but that's not all they do. When I received my first Maruszczyk I got a booklet detailing everything that they do... and it really is everything. You name it, they'll make it, it seems. Their base prices are also quite attractive, so by the time you add all your specs and customisations together it'll still be well within budget and cheaper than many others.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1438519956' post='2835094']
[/quote]
+1.

I own FrankenFenders that cost £1000+ less than most the basses in those shops and the quality is just as good and the sound is usually better. Overpriced tat.

I second taking a trip to bass direct, they're a nice bunch and have a big selection of nice basses, got to play my first status there as well which I'd always like the idea of, it certainly didn't disappoint. Me myself going for something expensive would either be a status or a Marleaux Consat, I still kick myself on a daily basis for not buying one at £1500 many many years ago.

I'd echo the recommendations to go and try all sorts at Bass Direct* and somewhere which may have Foderas in stock (Bass Gear have some - have you ever played one?) - if you don't know exactly what you like (other than simply wanting something, and that's a powerful driver in itself) then a cheap and fast learning curve is time there. As an example, I always wanted an Alembic (and a Status, too), until I owned one. And then I didn't any more :D

Ditto a lot of other basses - I've been through a lot, and I've found what I like (which is Shukers and my Dingwall), but it took a long time and a lot of buying and selling secondhand. You may find, like I did, that you walk in Bass Direct wanting a particular brand and walk out wanting something completely different.

Knowing what you want is even more important with custom luthier built basses like Shukers, ACG, Alpher, etc - they are all fantastically talented guys who will build you exactly what you ask them to, the rub is you need to know exactly what you want to ask for, because it won't exist until they've built it, and by then you've bought it...

You're in a very exciting position - don't rush, try as much as you can, learn as much as you can and enjoy the process... :D

Edit: Just seen you're after a 5 - definitely try Dingwalls, they're extraordinary basses, and that 37" low B is unbeatable, IMHO...

* Or Bass Gear, or The Gallery, or Drew's place (The Great British Bass Lounge) in Manchester - depends where you are and where you can get to...

Edited by Muzz

I'll second all opinions of trying as much as you can. I also found that it is important to go past the honeymoon period, which in a shop is impossible by definition. So I also became a BC buyer (then seller) to get my hands on as many basses as possible, try them at home, see if I still love them in the long run. 20% were mistakes; 60% were great at first but not keepers after a few months; 20% I still have. You lose a bit of money (shipping, differences in buying/selling price), but you get to know all kinds of basses really well - for me, it was worth it.