Why become a member? ×

W10 and DAW's

lowdown

Anyone made the plunge yet?
My boys have, with Studio One V3 and Presonus hardware, various VST's
and all running like a dream

I am going to give it a go today with Cubase 8 and Steinberg UR-22.
Although Steinberg say hold off for a while, there seems to be great
reports and success with no or little problems being reported.

If all goes well, I will post up a list of software used and working/not working.

Two other PC's in the house have been upgraded from W8.1 with no problems,
and are running great.

I haven't checked the reaper statuses but I am a bit of a wuss when it come to messing around with software that currently seems to work fine , I just know it will break on me , or throw a spanner that takes 2 weeks to sort out , and me, I am an optimist :D

No problems here. It also kept all my tweeks and disabled services, which was sweet.
Straight forward install over W8.1 with the media creation tool.
Didn't even ask for my Microsoft product key.
Also, I did not have to re-use/ re-enter any serial numbers or product keys for any of the listed software.

I thought this list might be of help to some (all working).

Cubase Pro 8.1 + internal synths and FX
Steinberg UR 22 USB Audio/Midi interface.

VSTI's
VSL - Instruments Pro and Ensemble5
Kontakt 5 latest version
Omnisphere 2
Stylus RMX
Trillion
Rob Papen Preditor
Cakewalk Z3TA+2
Cthulhu
Reaktor5
Serum
Spectral

VST's
All FabFilter bundle
Ozone5
Replika
Valhallaroom
Kickstart
VolumeShaper
A1 stereo control and triggerGate
Proximity
Cakewalk CA-2A

All x64 using an i7 and 32 gig RAM.
Before the install, I took notes on a project I had been working on.
CPU was at about 45% - now at about 40%
RAM was just over 20 GIG - Now just over 19 GIG.
I don't know if it means much, but it looks like a slightly better performance under W10.
All in all - Worked out great for me.

I'm still on Win 7 x64, Rock solid. Saffire Pro 24 into Asus X99-A (via Firewire to Applae adapter cable to Thunderbolt adapter card), 16 gig RAM, OC'd i7 5820K, Samsung 850 Pro main drive, it's a beast. Reaper and lots of VI's/NI Komplete 10. 3.0 ms input latency/3.6 ms output latency at 64 samples (I think I have reported that correctly), though that's just doing solo tracking of bass.

Can you roll back to W7 from W10 if all doesn't go well?

I have backups and could restore from that, but would be interested to know.

Pete

Edited by funkle

I'm thinking about updating myself but was going to wait a few months for any problems to be ruled out. I had a concern over Reaper (which seems fine as mentioned above), the drivers for my Focusrite Forte and licencing issues with all my VSTs (EZDrummer, SampleTank, Miroslav, Kontakt Elements, Guitar Rig etc.) But so far it all sounds like it's worked fine for you guys.

I'll report back if I do upgrade and will test all software and will let you know if it all worked fine.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1439365355' post='2842116']
and Focusrite drivers are OK too.
[/quote]

Good to hear. Which Focusrite are you using? I've got the Forte and found this page with links to Windows 10 compatible drivers: http://uk.focusrite.com/answerbase/windows-10-compatibility

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1439460898' post='2842993']
nah we use proper DAW's :P
i'm sure it's fine, protools should have been on the ball given how "industry standard" it is
[/quote]

You'd probably be surprised about how many issue I had getting it all to run on Win8... I still have to boot up my computer then restart it to get the soundcard to work :lol:

I made the switch to Windows 10 last night. It only took 25 mins to upgrade - I was quite impressed.

So far so good though. Reaper works (v5 which has just been released), as do my VSTs. I updated the driver on my Focusrite Forte to the one recommended for Windows 10 and it wouldn't play any sound. I went back to the previous version and it worked. I should be doing some music stuff this weekend so will report back on the long-session reliability.

I don't like the white title bars on all of the windows though. I liked the aero look much better. Can't get that Cortana thing to work either.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1440167270' post='2848802']
I don't like the white title bars on all of the windows though. I liked the aero look much better. Can't get that Cortana thing to work either.
[/quote]

Yep, that is annoying. I hope there is a way to change colour.
There is in the Edge browser, although it is just to black.

Been running for three weeks now, and I have to say, no problems on my DAW PC,
or in fact, any of our home desktops.

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1440167270' post='2848802']
I made the switch to Windows 10 last night. It only took 25 mins to upgrade - I was quite impressed.

[/quote]

25 minutes?
Says something about the speed of rural broadband that it took me 6 hours to download the 300'n'odd Mb!