Why become a member? ×

NA(s)D wohooo (a fair bit of Ashdown content)

Merton

I'm still thinking shall I get rid of my Ashdown LB30 which is the same as the CTM30. Running it with a trace elliot 15 atm but not enough juice if no PA support, but with PA support its all good.

BF cab is too expensive for me atm but I keep hearing the BF goes well with the ashdown LB30/CTM30.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1439982544' post='2847203']
I'm still thinking shall I get rid of my Ashdown LB30 which is the same as the CTM30. Running it with a trace elliot 15 atm but not enough juice if no PA support, but with PA support its all good.

BF cab is too expensive for me atm but I keep hearing the BF goes well with the ashdown LB30/CTM30.
[/quote]
Don't ditch the LB30, I still regret selling mine. I was using it with a single BF Compact and it was great. I used it with a pair of Compacts for a while, and that was just lovely :)

Yeah, maybe I need to save up for a VF cab. Got to admit I like the LB30 tone. Even the break up sounded lovely. To behonest you can't really hear the break up unless you isolate the bass track. For songs with bass intro I just play it with less attack and when the drummer kicks in I start smacking away the strings lol.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1439995642' post='2847388']
Is the BF retro 2x10 any good? The price for that is £449.
[/quote]

I hope so because ive just recently brought one :-)

Still to really let rip with it, only played it at work so far, but i have a rehearsal with it on Sunday. Cant wait. So far my thoughts are very positive. I think it would work well with the warm Ashdown heads.

I gigged the CTM30 with one BF Super Compact last week and it was plenty. I had a small bit of bass in the PA but not loads; the SC is probably more "forward" to ally than the Retro Two10 though. I'll give you some feedback in three weeks comparing the two :)

I tried the RM 800 today as I'm on the lookout for a new head and boy what a sound! I tried it against a Fender rumble 500, TC Electronic BH550 and Aguilar Tonehammer 350 and for my money it beat most of them hands down although the Tonerhammer deserves an honourable mention.

The only decision now is whether to go for the RM420 or 800..

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1440180493' post='2848948']

The only decision now is whether to go for the RM420 or 800..
[/quote]

You can turn the RM800 down to RM420 levels, but you can't get the same volume from the RM420 as the RM800 can manage ;)

Plus the RM800 is lovely, lovely chrome!

Yeah they're all the same but different power amps.

They were originally brought in as the new MAG line/replacement but I wonder if the MAG moniker will be dropped in favour of the RM... Or they will keep the two lower powered units MAG Rootmasters. Who knows :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1440192416' post='2849064']
Yeah they're all the same but different power amps.

They were originally brought in as the new MAG line/replacement but I wonder if the MAG moniker will be dropped in favour of the RM... Or they will keep the two lower powered units MAG Rootmasters. Who knows :)
[/quote]

Thanks. Just been reading your wonderful review of this head in the reviews section. Im pretty much set on getting one (RM800), just need to make sure i have gigs coming in to warrant it.

bassix - good to hear, let us know how you get on!

Dave - thanks! If you're around in a couple of weeks there's a couple of us getting together where there's going to be an RM800 getting fired up with a Retro Two10 so would be a useful little test for you :)

One thing I haven't mentioned - because it doesn't bother me - is the fan is very... prominent shall we say? I've seen it mentioned on the VT500 thread as something which is a deal breaker for some but I've failed to mention it on my review because frankly I've had much worse fans than this one, but it is not the quietest ...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1440622029' post='2852533']

One thing I haven't mentioned - because it doesn't bother me - is the fan is very... prominent shall we say? I've seen it mentioned on the VT500 thread as something which is a deal breaker for some but I've failed to mention it on my review because frankly I've had much worse fans than this one, but it is not the quietest ...
[/quote]

i thought the same of the fan on my mag 300 EVo III, but at gigging levels it really doesnt matter but quiet home practice it really is noticeable