Why become a member? ×

NA(s)D wohooo (a fair bit of Ashdown content)

Merton

Pictures tonight I hope, but so far today I've opened boxes containing:

Ashdown CTM-30 head
Ashdown RM-800 head
Ashdown RM-110 cab
Ashdown VU mug...

I think the better half won't be impressed later......

Edited by Merton

Well the amps are immense:

The RM800 has oodles of power and the valve-emulated drive is glorious.
The CTM30 is exactly as I expected, I think it will be unstoppable with the two Barefaced Super Compact cabs.
The cab is great, less "boxy" and middy than the Mi10 I think.
The mug is a big disappointment though, not enough juice for my liking and the overdrive is non existent. Poor show.

Pics soon....

From my very brief play, it's a great amp. I was concerned I'd miss the ABM but on the evidence presented at home noise levels I doubt I will. Gig next week will be the proof!

The CTM was b-stock which I found on eBay, it needs a couple of tweaks (the bulb has gone on the VU, one of the knobs has broken so I'm changing them all for the cream chicken head type on the CTM100) but is also just a cracking little amp. Really impressed!

My office was a bit overrun earlier today...:

Then I got home for a little play:

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1438367970' post='2834048']

More importantly, what is the handle like? ;)
[/quote]

A bit shoddy, there's no movement or flexibility. It's like it's made of china or something... Weird.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1438371740' post='2834113']
I've asked Mark G if I can review the RM800 and the new Retrograde head. I think i'll like both!
[/quote]

The RM800 is loverly! It can do clean, dirty, the sub harmonic thing is nice and subtle even when maxed out, the EQ simple but effective, the line mix a stroke of genius when practicing, and the build quality is top notch. Very, very happy with it :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1438463938' post='2834747']

The RM800 is loverly! It can do clean, dirty, the sub harmonic thing is nice and subtle even when maxed out, the EQ simple but effective, the line mix a stroke of genius when practicing, and the build quality is top notch. Very, very happy with it :)
[/quote]
How do you find the emulated tube drive, compared to the ABM tube drive?

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1438508136' post='2834934']

How do you find the emulated tube drive, compared to the ABM tube drive?
[/quote]

I like it, I gather the new EVO IV valve drive is "better" than the older ABM drive but comparing the RM vs the EVO II was a positive thing. I always found the valve to be a bit "fizzy" if you went too far past twelve o'clock on the drive dial on the ABM; I tried a couple of different valves and couldn't discern much, if any, difference between brands.

The RM reminds me of the SansAmp drive control, I think they've done a fine job with it :)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1438508385' post='2834939']
Are you planning to gig the CTM30 with the BF cabs?
[/quote]

Yup; having gigged both a CTM15 and CTM100 with them I know roughly what to expect and frankly cannot wait :D

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1438463938' post='2834747']
[/quote]

Ey! Thank you - thats what I like to hear!!

• 2 weeks later...

Aha! Well I've just got home from its first gig, so....

It has been an absolutely brilliant amp at home through the RM110 cab, but tonight I gigged it through my two Super Compacts and it was incredible.

For context, we are a wedding band so the usual pop/rock covers fare. In terms of tone I like a full, fat but punchy sound with a bit of bite when needed so I do tend to fiddle with drive controls on amps if they are there. That said we go through a PA and I DI via a SansAmp before my backline so it's more just for my own personal pleasure that I fiddle with my knob(s) really... Ahem.

Our first set tends to be less rock and more pop so I kept the drive control very low for this, occasionally pushing it for some of the 80s tunes. I kept the compressor off and the subharmonics thing on but so subtle you'd not notice (though I did wind it up for one song just for shits and giggles - it added a nice thickness without becoming silly and overpowering). I got a nice clean but creamy tone by leaving the EQ flat but a tiny boost on 240Hz; the bass sat beautifully in the mix.

Our second set becomes more rock centred so for this I spent a lot of time playing around with the drive control, setting it anywhere from around 9 o'clock to around 1 o'clock; I've likened this drive control to the drive control on the SansAmp and I stick by that now I've gigged the amp. At 9 o'clock there is a nice edge to the tone, by 1 o'clock you're in that delightful saturated valve amp territory and it sounds glorious. Dare I say it but I prefer this to the old valve drive on the ABM EVO II... :o

Volume wise I was never left wanting; the master got to about 10 o'clock and I didn't ever hear the amp go into that horrible squishy Class D clipping so I would expect I have headroom to spare. The gain control does have to be set quite high to get a strong signal into the preamp (I had it at 3 o'clock) but that is no bad thing. I was running my ACG in passive mode so would have had to drop the gain back a touch if going into active mode.

The only thing which wasn't good about the amp was the DI, which we tried just because we could. Apparently it was quite hissy - I suspect the high level of the gain control and a lack of ground lift may have had something to do with it. It doesn't bother me since (as I've already said) I DI pre-backline anyway so it wouldn't be used but if you wanted to record with it it might be an issue.

So all in all, I am well chuffed with it. An absolutely stonking amp (for me), just what I expected and more importantly hoped for. Couldn't be happier :)

Edited by Merton

Thanks for posting back (I'll reply here rather than derail Marks thread any more).
It sounds like a lot more versatile head than the Tech21 I was looking at.

I normally run my MB head at about 10 o'clock in to my 1212L, I also find the input knob needs to be at about 3 o'clock with my passive basses so it seems like It might be a good change over.

I'm still to play though my new BF retro two 10 (thanks for the review Dan) at proper gig levels but I have a feeling the Ashdown will have more poke and headroom than my MB head.

It's funny but I never thought I would ever look at Ashdown again, even though I still have my old MAG combo at home. I think it's more boredom with my Markbass head rather any real need for a new head, but by the looks of the Ashdwon it should cover the few negatives I feel the F1 has. I just wish there was control over the 100hz freq as I love that on my MAG

Edited by dave_bass5