Why become a member? ×

Fender Power Jazz Bass Special compartment and battery covers - help!

Dood

I'm pretty excited if I'm honest! I've posted a build diary for my bass and today I've finally finished doing the electronics. I'm so pleased, the tone of the instrument has come alive!

But there's one huge problem!! Somewhere between getting the bass refinished and installing all the hardware, the metal screw down plate for the battery compartment and the plastic control compartment lid have gone missing!!

I really need to source a solution! I'd welcome your thoughts on fabricating replacements - I'm pretty rubbish with cutting materials myself though!

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1438365832' post='2834028']
tracing paper over the hole and draw around the lip. then cornflake box and make a template that way :)

I was going to offer you the one form my special but its different to the power special.
[/quote]

I've made a cardboard lid today actually! it's a temporary solution then I think I'll get a bit of pick guard material to make a lid. The battery cover will require a bit more work I feel!

Thank you for the kind offer though, that's really thoughtful!

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1438365832' post='2834028']
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I have a Fender Japan addiction[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I like that! I dearly love this Jap' bass! I've another 'JV' on the way soon too that I'm looking forward to a getting hold of. I already know it's going to be a blinder, just have to wait for it to make the trip from the other side of the planet!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1438371406' post='2834110']

I've made a cardboard lid today actually! it's a temporary solution then I think I'll get a bit of pick guard material to make a lid. The battery cover will require a bit more work I feel!

Thank you for the kind offer though, that's really thoughtful!
[/quote]

If it doesn't last until the real one turns up then make a stronger one with the plastic from the side of a milk bottle.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1438376820' post='2834169']
You didn't buy the one that was on an eBay shop for ages did you? I didn't have the funds to snag it myself!
[/quote]

I got mine from ishibashi. I have ordered maybe 6 or 7 guitars from them now. Everyone has been in as new condition, Ended up with a Jazz and a P bass :)

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1438381352' post='2834210']
I got mine from ishibashi. I have ordered maybe 6 or 7 guitars from them now. Everyone has been in as new condition, Ended up with a Jazz and a P bass :)
[/quote]

Ahhh nice! My first CIJ came from Ishibashi - great service!