Why become a member? ×

The Beatles Curse

blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441483822' post='2859216']
I never counted how many times but I saw them when they were The 'N Betweens, when they were Ambrose Slade, as fresh skinheads called Slade (with the Northfield Mob after them because, of course, they weren't real skinheads) and actual Slade ... but many times around Birmingham and environs between about 1966 and 1972. Slade were a great band but I don't really get how you could be a Slade fan and not get The Beatles unless it was merely a rejection on principle of the previous generation - which would not be unusual. I'd be extremely surprised to find Slade not being big fans of The Beatles.
[/quote]

I'm not "getting" the overuse of the word "get"; is it a euphemism for "deep almost transcendental hyper elite holier than though understanding"?

Jimmy does list McCartney as an influence but last I heard they don't preach Beatles, as is being done here. Apart from the aforementioned "Martha" Beatles material didn't feature in their stage shows or recordings - as you'd know.They aren't mentioned highly amongst their lists of "faves". In fact they went out of their way to track down obscure tracks that they'd modify and make their own, which formed the basis of a bootleg album way back. Nod cited Little Richard and Max Miller as his inspirations and the first song the four ever played together (possibly at Jimmy Lea's audition) was Otis Redding's "Mr Pitiful"

As I said a while ago, I've never yet had a professional musician question my none-interest in The Beatles. I have a few of their albums, but they're gathering dust and virtually never played, same with the few Pink Floyd I have & if I'm honest virtually all of Slade's studio stuff.

Regular plays at home varies massively depending on mood, need for quiet or loud, alone or with company - and who that might be. The fact I just don't think much of Beatles music doesn't seem to bother anyone other than Beatles fans, I know a few Floyd fans but I never get grief off them for not playing the stuff I have. It just seems to be an inadequacy among Beatles fans to not just let people not like hearing them, it's all very strange.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441483512' post='2859214']
Interesting. I expect someone will now post something like:

'How dare Alphonso Johnson, Bobby Vega, Chester Thompson, Chuck Rainey, David Ellefson, Divinity Roxx, Frank Itt, Gary Willis, Hellmut Hattler, John B Williams, Kai Eckhardt, Lee Sklar, Rhonda Smith, Ryan Martinie, Stu Hamm and Steve Bailey imply that I can't have an opinion. They sound like my Dad.

'Who are these people, anyway, and what makes their opinion more valuable than mine? Seeing Crispy Ambulance at the Spurley Hey Youth Centre in 1978 was ten times more influential for me than the Beatles ever were'.

I love the internet. :)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

I didn't see Crispy Ambulance until '79, I think they had sold out by then , they just didn't inspire :rolleyes:

But I am not sure that anyone is actually questioning the influence that the Beatles had, but when you open a thread with the statement.....

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438198454' post='2832518']
[font=Arial]I have notices over the past year that generational issues come up and make for a lot of confusing discussion and misunderstandings.[/font]
[/quote]
......... and then come to the conclusion .........

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438198454' post='2832518']
[font=Arial]My point, some of us were just born at a time that gave us wisdom and a perspective on rock that future generations would not have.[/font]
[/quote]

..it doesn't actually clear it up much does it :)

Edited by lurksalot

Not sure about wisdom, but definitely a certain perspective (as anyone will have being born and growing at a certain point in time). I think it's safe to say that The Beatles [i]appear[/i] to have had a much larger impact on those in north America than maybe it did here (see quote from the bass playing community above).

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1441535804' post='2859525']
Not sure about wisdom, but definitely a certain perspective (as anyone will have being born and growing at a certain point in time).[/quote]

True - and for any nine (or ten) year old kid to be given wisdom AND perspective from watching a TV show of any magnitude in the early 60s, while the rest of their classmates would have been playing with their G.I. Joes, watching Bugs Bunny or playing cops and robbers etc. I would say makes them a child prodigy - or at least a twisted firestarter.

Thing is, having that early perspective is like being in at the start of anything. You know what things were like before it started and then the situation rolls away and it's like - er - being on a bus and you can see what's happening out the windows as you go along the way and you know where the bus has been because you got on at the bus station rather than further on along the road at the bus stop by the abbatoir, say.

But if you're waiting for the bus further along the road you only ever see the [i]front[/i] of the bus coming towards you while you're waiting at the bus-stop by the abbatoir and then you get on the bus and you only see what's happening out of the windows [i]after[/i] you get on the bus but you don't know where the bus has been and you don't what it was like on the bus before you got on the bus at the bus stop you did.

I can see how that might give one a kind of perspective. And wisdom.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441554034' post='2859744']
Thing is, having that early perspective is like being in at the start of anything. You know what things were like before it started and then the situation rolls away and it's like - er - being on a bus and you can see what's happening out the windows as you go along the way and you know where the bus has been because you got on at the bus station rather than further on along the road at the bus stop by the abbatoir, say.

But if you're waiting for the bus further along the road you only ever see the [i]front[/i] of the bus coming towards you while you're waiting at the bus-stop by the abbatoir and then you get on the bus and you only see what's happening out of the windows [i]after[/i] you get on the bus but you don't know where the bus has been and you don't what it was like on the bus before you got on the bus at the bus stop you did.

[/quote]

But what if it's one of those circular buses like the number 11? It doesn't matter where you get on because the bus always goes all the way around and around and around and around and around ... a bit like this thread really.

Ahhh, the Number 11 Bus. How many young Brummies, stuck for entertainment, would pile on that shining example of public transport with a packet of crisps, a can of Pop (or cider if you were feeling saucy) and a cheese sarnie, and spend a day on the never-ending jaunt around the suburbs of Birmingham? Local buses scare me now, but if I ever want to gain insight into current trends in Drum 'n' Bass or Grime, an hour on the Number 11 will give you all the info you'll ever need.

Edited by rushbo

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441554034' post='2859744']
................ it's like - er - being on a bus and you can see what's happening .............

[/quote]

I wasn't allowed to go on a bus alone when I was 9. Does this explain my lack of wisdom and perspective?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441555318' post='2859759']
But what if it's one of those circular buses like the number 11? It doesn't matter where you get on because the bus always goes all the way around and around and around and around and around ... a bit like this thread really.

[/quote]

So if The Beatles are the No.11 , would The Stones be the No.8 ?

Shorter route through much rougher areas. :D

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1441557343' post='2859795']
I wasn't allowed to go on a bus alone when I was 9. Does this explain my lack of wisdom and perspective?
[/quote]

You lack neither wisdom nor perspective. It is simply that you (may) not have travelled on the number 11 bus, resplendent - as ET avers - in its handsome blue and cream livery. Frankly, blue and cream is only the bus colour scheme that matters. Young people talk to me about London Country green and I laugh in their silly faces.

For myself, the only real though wisdom-free Midlands bus perspective I can offer is in respect of the number 452 and its Midland Red equivalent the number 107. But ask me about the 38 that goes down Oxford St and I'll be here all day.

[size=3][b]London Country Green[/b]: Fatuous[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1441576093' post='2860045']
I don't think Blue will approve of the latest turn this thread has taken. :D lol

"God damn Birmingham buses, these assholes are takin the piss"

"These fish and chip cup o tea Mary poppins m*****f***ers don't know when they are being schooled"
[/quote]

'Birmingham', Schools' and 'Buses' have a different history in the States. You'd have had to have been there to fully understand the deep significance of the world-changing events of the '60s there. :mellow:

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1441577118' post='2860055']
sssshhhh...we could pretend it's Birmingham, Alabama....
[/quote]
I remember a gig in Birmingham, UK. I think it was Joe Walsh (was a long time ago) who said: "We have a Birmingham in Alabama, it's a much nicer place".
There you are, Beatlemania couldn't happen in a nicer place.