Why become a member? ×

The Beatles Curse

blue

You guys wouldn't believe how much popcorn I've gotten through while following this thread. :o

I was there - 'Can't Buy Me Love' on my big sister's Dansette (or at least it was up to the moment it threw it's drive belt and ground to a halt :( ); Kennedy assasination; Cuban missile crisis (the first time in my life I can remember actually listening to the news on our brand new tele-the-size-of-a-sideboard); French Indo-China (Vietnam to you sonny) - I can remember it all like it was yesterday. When all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they're here to stay. I believe in yesterday. :unsure:

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1441377248' post='2858462']
'Can't Buy Me Love' on my big sister's Dansette (or at least it was up to the moment it threw it's drive belt and ground to a halt :( ); Kennedy assasination; Cuban missile crisis (the first time in my life I can remember actually listening to the news on our brand new tele-the-size-of-a-sideboard); French Indo-China (Vietnam to you sonny) :unsure:
[/quote]

You are Billy Joel and I claim my £5.00

[i]Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray, South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television, North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe[/i]

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1441215613' post='2857037']
I don't know about all this 'you don't know man, you weren't there' malarkey. I mean, it sounds a lot like the first time i heard 'Let it Go'...
[/quote]
Are you referring to the song from the movie Frozen? That was a very good song.

There are at least three separate things going on here.

One is the effect the Beatles' music had on shaping pop music.
One is the effect the Beatles had on teenagers.
One is the psychological effect music (and current affairs) has on our memories at certain key moments of our lives.

These three things have all coincided in Blue's timeline and left a profound mark on Blue's life.

For the rest of us items 2 and 3 have and will continue to happen.

Let's not get them mixed up.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1441380879' post='2858508']
There are at least three separate things going on here.

One is the effect the Beatles' music had on shaping pop music.
One is the effect the Beatles had on teenagers.
One is the psychological effect music (and current affairs) has on our memories at certain key moments of our lives.

These three things have all coincided in Blue's timeline and left a profound mark on Blue's life.

For the rest of us items 2 and 3 have and will continue to happen.

Let's not get them mixed up.
[/quote]
You clearly don't get it..... Tut tut. 😜

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1441381341' post='2858517']

You clearly don't get it..... Tut tut. 😜
[/quote]

Equally I don't expect him 'to get' a lot of things that happened to me in my life. It's not a curse. It's just life from a different perspective.

Would I rather been a teenager in the '60s? Not really. I'm quite happy having been a teenager in the '80s.

Kennedy shot in '63. Compare that with Diana? I don't get Kennedy. I get Diana.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1441382123' post='2858526']
Kennedy shot in '63. Compare that with Diana? I don't get Kennedy. I get Diana.
[/quote]

Well, you wouldn't get Kennedy. You weren't there. If you'd been there for Kennedy as you were there for Diana you'd have a personal basis for comparison but - through no fault of your own - you weren't there for Kennedy. So you won't ever 'get' it. Not your fault, of course, but there you go. No need to apologise. :P

Anyway, like most people of my age, I remember exactly what I was doing when Kennedy was assassinated. I was leaning out of a window in the Texas Book Depository with a carbine in my hands.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1441376274' post='2858453']
Me mam saw them in the cavern back in the day and she says they were sh**e.

Ken Dodd's dad's dog's dead btw...
[/quote]

Ken Dodd had the 3rd biggest selling song in the 60s btw. He managed to keep 'help' by the beatles and 'satisfaction' by the stones off number one.
The beatles only had 2 that sold more than him, and none after 1963.

Oh to have been around then and seeing Ken Dod in the charts - I bet loads of people took up the tickling stick :D

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441383133' post='2858540']

Anyway, like most people of my age, I remember exactly what I was doing when Kennedy was assassinated. I was leaning out of a window in the Texas Book Depository with a carbine in my hands.
[/quote]
Funny that, but I was in the Cooperative record department buying The Beatles new second LP [i]With The Beatles[/i] that was released that day.

Another thing:

I may have been there for Kennedy (both of them, as it happens) and for Diana. But I account it a personal misfortune not to have been 'there' for Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. That way I'd have a hat trick of assassinations, always providing Diana was assassinated. Which she wasn't, of course.

I think it's instructive that devotees of Mr Gavrilo Princip might want to denigrate John Wilkes Booth yet they do not. That's because armchair historians of Serbian paramilitary assassination squads generally have a sense of proportion and good humour denied to most bass players.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441383612' post='2858547']
Funny that, but I was in the Cooperative record department buying The Beatles new second LP [i]With The Beatles[/i] that was released that day.
[/quote]

Always good to have an alibi. ([i]I saw you on the grassy knoll[/i] ;))

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1441384216' post='2858554']
John Lenon was 'assassinated'.
[/quote]

He certainly was.

I have good cause to remember the circumstances surrounding Mr JW Lennon's premature departure from the earthly realm. That night, the particularly scrumptious teen queen with whom I was enjoying a protracted dalliance called off our planned date in response to events.

'I'm going to the candle-light vigil in town,' she said with a quaver in her voice.

'That's a bit selfish of you,' I snapped. 'I was anticipating a no-holds-barred sex session tonight. It's what he would have wanted: Make love, not war...'

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441383133' post='2858540']
Well, you wouldn't get Kennedy. You weren't there. If you'd been there for Kennedy as you were there for Diana you'd have a personal basis for comparison but - through no fault of your own - you weren't there for Kennedy. So you won't ever 'get' it. Not your fault, of course, but there you go. No need to apologise. :P

[/quote]

Small world, I was lyin on a grassy knoll. trying out my new bolt action rifle.

Growing up in the 70s child here.

Power cuts
Harold Wilson & Ted Heath both being impersonated to hell on comedy TV shows.
Power cuts
Top Of The Pops in black & white - or at least it was on our TV.
Power cuts
Slade going straight to Number One three times in one year.
Osmonds and David Cassidy fans out-screaming Beatles fans at various airports.
Northern Ireland's "troubles"
Raleigh Chopper bikes, Airfix models, Action Man

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1441396929' post='2858685']
Growing up in the 70s child here.

Power cuts
Harold Wilson & Ted Heath both being impersonated to hell on comedy TV shows.
Power cuts
Top Of The Pops in black & white - or at least it was on our TV.
Power cuts
Slade going straight to Number One three times in one year.
Osmonds and David Cassidy fans out-screaming Beatles fans at various airports.
Northern Ireland's "troubles"
Raleigh Chopper bikes, Airfix models, Action Man
[/quote]
Two-tone tonic trousers
Patch pockets
Star jumpers
Budgie jackets
The Sweeney
Cup final It's a Knockout
Blokes with permed hair
Red Robbo
Black football boots
Texan chocolate bars
Bowie
Kung fu
The Fonz
Eric and Ernie
Nationwide
Digital watches

None of the above would've been possible had it not been for four lads from Liverpool!!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1441398604' post='2858706']
What, Echo and the Bunnymen?
[/quote]
I was thinking more Flock of Seagulls, but as you never know where or when Ian McCulloch may pop up next - and as I wouldn't want to be on the end of one of his legendary tantrums - Echo & the Bunnymen it is..

1973, my last year at junior school. My parents bought me what I think may have been one of the first replica football kits. Man Utd full strip, including George Best boots with rotating studs on the soles and laces up the side, not the top.
So what did I do? Bought the first edition of a new series of Marvel comics - with a free gift of a Spiderman iron-on transfer - yes :blush: - yes - I did! :blush:
Went from trendy bugger of the team to sad git in one week.

Now - George Best wasn't from Liverpool - but he was Irish - and that's close enough; if it wasn't for The Beatles, there'd have been no George Best!

One time, I bought a tuna sandwich from George Best.

George Best the former Man United footballer.

Spooky coincidence or what?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441395406' post='2858672']
There weren't no grassy knoll guvnor ... see for yourself ...

[/quote]

That's a CIA black ops safe-house. Obvious to the trained eye. The lady on the pavement staring at her shoes waiting for the little blades to spring out a la Rosa Klebb?

Trained assassin. Spot 'em a mile off.

Edited by skankdelvar

A[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1441399673' post='2858714']
1973, my last year at junior school. My parents bought me what I think may have been one of the first replica football kits. Man Utd full strip, including George Best boots with rotating studs on the soles and laces up the side, not the top.
So what did I do? Bought the first edition of a new series of Marvel comics - with a free gift of a Spiderman iron-on transfer - yes :blush: - yes - I did! :blush:
Went from trendy bugger of the team to sad git in one week.

Now - George Best wasn't from Liverpool - but he was Irish - and that's close enough; if it wasn't for The Beatles, there'd have been no George Best!
[/quote]
Ah, yes, Georgie Best's Stylo Matchmakers (not forgetting Alan Ball's white Hummels). Flamboyant footwear for the up and coming nippy winger.

Talking of nippy wingers, Steve Heighway was one. David Fairclough was a supersub. Keegan and Toshack were a potent strike force. Emlyn Hughes was a crazy horse.

Hughes, you say? Nerys Hughes was in the Liver Birds. The Scaffold sang the theme tune. Hang on, wasn't a certain Mike McCartney in The Scaffold? And isn't Mike McCartney the brother of... Paul McCartney?!?

Blimey, is there nothing that They weren't responsible for?