Why become a member? ×

The Beatles Curse

blue

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1440770765' post='2853722']
Lonnie's influence can't be understated.

But re: your point about another band filling the void if The Beatles hadn't made it... of course. But it's incredibly unlikely anyone would have made a crater as big as The Beatles. I'm going to say it again - the Beatles phenomenon was the result of a perfect storm, unlikely to be repeated.
[/quote]

I think that at some time it will be repeated, but perhaps not with music. Or not with music as we know it.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1440772063' post='2853746']

I think that at some time it will be repeated, but perhaps not with music. Or not with music as we know it.
[/quote]

What like digital watches or PCs or mobile phones or the Internet or Facebook or something?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1440758848' post='2853543']

Because I still find it very hard to believe that just one group can be singlehandedly responsible for the '60s. :D[/quote]

Hard to believe, yes. But if you study their history in detail they had a huge hand in the effort.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1440765240' post='2853643']
Well I'm confused.

Is it no wonder that people who weren't there don't get it.

I certainly don't think it's even possible to explain it. And I still have no idea why it's a curse.
[/quote]

The curse is, you will never get or understand one of the most important part of Pop Rock history. To me that's a curse.

Blue

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1440675005' post='2852851']
I think as a fully paid up member of Generation X, Boomers going on about the bee-attles is the same as their parents generation going on about 'the war'. Yeah we know. Yeah you were there, yeah it changed everything. Please stop going on about it now... :D
[/quote]

I was one year into Generation X, they were still going when I was born, to me they were old people music, but not my parents, as my parents were the generation past that, they were the decade back of that. They were uncle music. Like the war, very important but you get tired of it being mentioned any time someone says something about germany :D

One of the great pleasures of this thread has been a broadening of the usual debate to include not only a more detailed assessment of the Beatles' music but also some well considered refutations of the initial contention.

Another pleasure has been the polite serenity with which the OP has made his argument, sometimes in the face of idiotically chippy personal ad-homs which would have many of us reaching for our profanisaurus.

The thread has gone far beyond the Beatles and serves now more as a record of what happens when an oppressively vocal minority fail to impose their will on an individual. The conclusion posterity may draw is that it is inadvisable to stamp one's foot at the same time one is sh*tting one's pants.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1440782546' post='2853885']
I was one year into Generation X, they were still going when I was born, to me they were old people music, but not my parents, as my parents were the generation past that, they were the decade back of that. They were uncle music. Like the war, very important but you get tired of it being mentioned any time someone says something about germany :D
[/quote]

I think that's the point many younger generations are missing. You keep mentioning music. It was so much more than music. It's hard to explain.

You had to be there. LOL

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1440786408' post='2853919']
One of the great pleasures of this thread has been a broadening of the usual debate to include not only a more detailed assessment of the Beatles' music but also some well considered refutations of the initial contention.

Another pleasure has been the polite serenity with which the OP has made his argument, sometimes in the face of idiotically chippy personal ad-homs which would have many of us reaching for our profanisaurus.

The thread has gone far beyond the Beatles and serves now more as a record of what happens when an oppressively vocal minority fail to impose their will on an individual. The conclusion posterity may draw is that it is inadvisable to stamp one's foot at the same time one is sh*tting one's pants.
[/quote]

Applause!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1440786408' post='2853919']

[/quote]
Everybody knows it's impossible to insult an American. :D I'm obviously kidding. Blue is s gent.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1440792066' post='2853975']
I think that's the point many younger generations are missing. You keep mentioning music. It was so much more than music. It's hard to explain.

You had to be there. LOL
[/quote]

No, I get it, I wasn't there and I am good with that, The time I grew up, the decade after that was great for music, and the life that went with it and magical to me, and the life that went with it. I suspect it was to all of us when we get to that age. And like most of us I guess, we wouldn't have rather been born at a different time, and that is pretty good.

The daft thing here is that lots of people will have had musical epiphanies at various stages of their lives and they will be especially influential at an early age. Everyones experience will be personal and will awaken ideas and thoughts that provide an insight and even a passion that they can follow , this is a wisdom in its own way , but is very personal to the circumstances that brought it on.

I think the argument about which artist influenced which artist is immaterial in this context, as is also the 'curse', I think that if someone has a 'hallelujah' moment with regard a performance or an occasion , whether it be on their own or shared with 10 million others , it is a personal thing.
It is not really for anyone to be upset that they can't make us have the same feelings as them about the same event , but I am sure most of us will have those feelings about some event , so don't feel cursed , we may not actually have been [i]there[/i], but we've been there ;)

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1440809511' post='2854107']
[b]And like most of us I guess, we wouldn't have rather been born at a different time, and that is pretty good.[/b]
[/quote]

I was just a kid for most the 60s, 17 when they ended. I read so much about the sixties that i seem to have missed that I sometimes wish I'd been born a bit earlier. If only to have been gigging in the early 60s when apparently there was a dance hall on every street and 3 well paid gigs a night was not unusual.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1440837132' post='2854180']
The daft thing here is that lots of people will have had musical epiphanies at various stages of their lives and they will be especially influential at an early age. Everyones experience will be personal and will awaken ideas and thoughts that provide an insight and even a passion that they can follow , this is a wisdom in its own way , but is very personal to the circumstances that brought it on.

I think the argument about which artist influenced which artist is immaterial in this context, as is also the 'curse', I think that if someone has a 'hallelujah' moment with regard a performance or an occasion , whether it be on their own or shared with 10 million others , it is a personal thing.
It is not really for anyone to be upset that they can't make us have the same feelings as them about the same event , but I am sure most of us will have those feelings about some event , so don't feel cursed , we may not actually have been [i]there[/i], but we've been there ;)
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1440708961' post='2853261']
* I cannot report on the Beatles influence on The Sweet, but Mr Andy Scott of that band lives in the next village over from me. If and when I see him I shall ask him to vouchsafe the facts in the matter.
[/quote]

Both had Brian's that did things

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1440837132' post='2854180']
lots of people will have had musical epiphanies at various stages of their lives
[/quote]

Quite so. And Los Beatles will probably have accounted for more of these epiphanies than all the other bands or artists put together.

Not for much longer though. The Grim Reaper crooks his spectral, bony finger for the older generation and today's lazy, self-entitled, narcissistic floppy-haired youngsters are mostly too busy getting tattooed and drinking alcopops and indignantly protesting about the [i]desperate[/i] [i]unfairness[/i] of modern life to identify music as anything but a cheap, disposable personal soundtrack.

In this misapprehension the young are greatly to be pitied; verily, it is a curse which will render the balance of their lives a barren, soul-less wasteland wherein they will wander in direction-less melancholy. But when they lay the sod over the last of the Beatles generation we shall be whistling 'She Loves You' through our decomposing lips; the last laugh shall be ours.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1440871642' post='2854490']

Quite so. And Los Beatles will probably have accounted for more of these epiphanies than all the other bands or artists put together.

Not for much longer though. The Grim Reaper crooks his spectral, bony finger for the older generation and today's lazy, self-entitled, narcissistic floppy-haired youngsters are mostly too busy getting tattooed and drinking alcopops and indignantly protesting about the [i]desperate[/i] [i]unfairness[/i] of modern life to identify music as anything but a cheap, disposable personal soundtrack.

In this misapprehension the young are greatly to be pitied; verily, it is a curse which will render the balance of their lives a barren, soul-less wasteland wherein they will wander in direction-less melancholy. But when they lay the sod over the last of the Beatles generation we shall be whistling 'She Loves You' through our decomposing lips; the last laugh shall be ours.
[/quote]

Mrs C has no interest in bass guitars or basschat, but has just read this over my shoulder and says it is both brilliant and beautiful.