Why become a member? ×

Fender 80's Power Jazz Bass Special 'remodel'.

Dood

The very first bass I ever saw in a guitar magazine that I had a G.A.S moment for was back in around '89 time. The instrument in question was the subject of this thread.

Strangely, for one reason or another I didn't get to actually have one of my own for some 17 years! But, this is it - and the bass remained stock (with the exception of a 'passive active' switch I installed about 5 years ago) up until this week.

I've only a few pictures I can find of the bass 'back then' and I'll include some pictures 'pre update' too taken more recently. The new pictures you'll need to wait for as I've not quite finished installing the preamplifier. The list of jobs have been:

1. Strip and refinish the bass as the body had signs of wear, including the previous owner taking a chisel to it. Gaining access to the truss rod this way is just not cool!
2. Upgrade pickups
3. Upgrade preamp
4. New tuners, bridge and fixtures.
5. Fretboard TLC
6. Set up

I expect that although the bass makes a super tone, the upgrade will give it a different voice and I've not tested the theory yet!! I'm going to see what happens when it is all hooked up when a new quality jack socket arrives tomorrow. I am pretty sure that the resultant sound will be great. The existing preamp is an interesting one and a little unusual. I'm going to save it and use it for something else I think. It's a Fender circuit that is essentially a notch filter - sweeping around the travel on the EQ knob allows for a massive range of tones as different areas of the spectrum are scooped out. Very useful, but I picked up a superb 3 band Glockenklang preamp from here recently so that is going in instead. I've had the absolutely superb Norwich Guitar Rehab do the refinish for me which also included filling some of the original control holes and then redrilling to replace the big three way pickup selector. I know have a master volume with pan, bass, mid and treble controls. There's an active/passive pull up switch too so the Fender can do passive as well. Pickups on this occasion have come from Dimarzio in PJ configuration. You'll notice in the pictures to come that this is one of the few P basses on the market whose split coils are round the 'other way' in comparison to what we are used to seeing. This is stock configuration for the active jazz bass special. The passive models did not include this. The PJBS also has an extra sculpted body, an extra fret and graphite strengthening in the neck. There's also a 'carbon fibre' headstock facing too rather than plain black of the passive JBS bass.

Strings are D'Addario Balanced Tension XL Nickels, though I really like the FlexSteels on this particular bass - they sound ace! Locking strap buttons come courtesy of Dunlop as I had a spare set in black to match. That said, they are very good on my Dingwall bass so thumbs up there.

The control knobs are temporary but I do like the idea of having a set of small controls for the EQ out of the way.

I'll get on with posting pictures later on.....

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1438182471' post='2832356']
The obligatory:
:useless:
[/quote]

Yes! Absolutely - daft Dood forgot that he was writing the post on a machine that does not include his photo library!!

Stock red before the upgrades!

[attachment=197486:a0_1.jpg]
[attachment=197487:9c_1.jpg]
[attachment=197488:57_1.jpg]
[attachment=197489:96_1.jpg]
[attachment=197490:cd_1.jpg]

What's interesting is that the flip colours have been totally transformed just by using a different undercoat. In my studio last night, the bass hanging up was almost metallic lake placid blue!

HA HA HA!!!! :) I took the bass out for one of my students to play this evening. He's just passed his grade 7 so I thought he should have the first spin on it. The flip paint looks very cool and completely different from the green/purple flip of my two Shukers!

Now that all the knobs are on and the electronics are in and working I can do some front pictures for you all. I am SO happy with the sound of the bass now. It wasn't bad to start with but the new pickups and preamp really bring it to life! Very pleased. PHEW!!

Now I just need to find those back covers... hmmmm!!!

I'll be keeping the original Fender knobs I'm afraid. As for the bridge - I may have ditched it already! That said, the new one on the bass is exactly the same as the original Fender type that came with the bass that I found on eBay for next to no money!

It's a really bright sunny day today. I think the light is permeating through the flip paint layer making the bass look really pinky in the garden. In doors the finish is more like a metallic lake placid blue! I'll try to get that as a picture later.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1438941810' post='2838794']

Also if you ever want to sell the preamp, give me a shout...
[/quote]

After hearing it with these pickups? Not a chance!! It's here to stay :)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1438203844' post='2832581']
[attachment=197491:11778157_10152921358436126_1766195488_n.jpg]

This is the only teaser you can have for now.
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...