Why become a member? ×

What have you got GAS for at the moment? ... Guitar version.

CamdenRob

[quote name='Veils' timestamp='1441826868' post='2862164']
Hope you're feeling better dude!

That's a hell of a find by the way! I've just paid 480 for a Japanese jazzmaster, but it's sunburst rather than the funky colour you've got. I may consider a refinish!
[/quote]

Yeah, it was a good price for a custom colour. It needed a new term arm & the pickup toggle was broken (which I knew about) so getting the parts to sort it out bumped the price up a bit. Still worth it though, great guitar!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1439497716' post='2843441']
A MIJ Fender Jazzmaster in Burgundy Mist.
Which I have just bought..... :)

[url="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/RhysP/media/Burgundy%20Mist%20Jazzmaster_zpshypwrmvx.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Nice! Rick McCollum of the Afghan Whigs was the inspiration for my Jazzmaster purchase ('98 Sunburst MIJ) and he played a burgundy mist but I didn't know the MIJ models came in that colour.

Have to say I didn't like the stock pickups at all, either very low output or a bit squelchy at higher volumes but I replaced them with a pair of Mojo's and am really happy with the sound now.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1442220465' post='2865153']
Nice! Rick McCollum of the Afghan Whigs was the inspiration for my Jazzmaster purchase ('98 Sunburst MIJ) and he played a burgundy mist but I didn't know the MIJ models came in that colour.
[/quote]

I wasn't aware of it either to be honest, it was just one of those lucky finds on Ebay.

I went to try out a couple of Gretschs at Guitar Guitar today. Didn't really like the Electromatic centre block 5620, but the 5420 was very nice and right up my street. For 'due diligence' I tried an Epiphone Wildkat which was OK (lovely P90s, tonally at least), certainly nicer than the 5620 and under half the price. One of the guys there (Epsom) suggested the Epiphone Swingster. Wow! What a great guitar. The pickups are a bit naff to look at, but they sound really good, I prefer them to the Gretsch Blacktops and acoustically it was much louder and richer than the 5420 (the Epi had trestle bars and no sound post) and the Bigsby was way more responsive. I reckon one of those might be coming home to Ez Towers in the not too distant future.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1442264540' post='2865682']

Oops, mine is CIJ and not MIJ so I'm probably thinking of the 3 colour options I remember from back when I bought it.
[/quote]

Mine is actually a CIJ too, I just use MIJ to differentiate from US & Mexican.

[quote name='backwater' timestamp='1438778874' post='2837155']
Telecaster Custom - rosewood fretboard and double bound body in either white, Candy Apple Red or Sunburst :wub:

Andy B)
[/quote]

A bit of ebay-ing tonight has hopefully cured my gas! Fender Japan TL62B Telecaster Custom in Candy Apple Red :gas:

Andy B)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1441211978' post='2857006']
Gibson 335 or something similar - just so funky and sweet sounding. Would happily swap an MSG for one.
[/quote]
Meh, I've given in and commissioned a replica of Nile Rodgers' Hitmaker. Yammie MSG will be available to play at the SE Bassbash if anyone is interested...otherwise will be posted in the classifieds at the end of November.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1443258605' post='2873433']
Very nice!

I remember Bernie using guitars made by Sid (aka 'Les') Poole for many years. Is this a new model?
[/quote]

Ah yes, the Poole guitars. Very nice they were too!

I think the PRS has been around a couple of years now, and has been a great success. Bernie uses stock models live.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1445197205' post='2889570']
Very Allan Holdsworth.
[/quote]

Didn't he use the little cricket bat type? Can't remember, he's brilliant though. Funnily enough, I've wanted one since I saw Leslie West use one years ago.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1445358998' post='2890898']

Didn't he use the little cricket bat type? Can't remember, he's brilliant though. Funnily enough, I've wanted one since I saw Leslie West use one years ago.
[/quote]He's used both.

• 2 weeks later...

I've picked up one of the Bernie Marsden PRS SE models after gassing after one for ages. And yes it is a cool guitar. Not a day has gone by when I haven't played it walking round the house, on the sofa etc. It's great.

In terms of what I'm gassing for now, it has made me sit up and take notice of real USA PRS guitars ( after a lifetime of Fender dedication ) and I've realised they're absolutely awesome, tho well beyond my price range.

But keeping an eye peeled for an American PRS singlecut. Mmm.

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1446418453' post='2899311']

In terms of what I'm gassing for now, it has made me sit up and take notice of real USA PRS guitars ( after a lifetime of Fender dedication ) and I've realised they're absolutely awesome, tho well beyond my price range.
[/quote]
I've owned two in the past (a McCarty and a Swamp Ash Special) and the build quality is peerless. The best sounding guitar I've ever played is a PRS McCarty Soapbar; simply stunning tone and playability.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1446418826' post='2899314']

I've owned two in the past (a McCarty and a Swamp Ash Special) and the build quality is peerless. The best sounding guitar I've ever played is a PRS McCarty Soapbar; simply stunning tone and playability.
[/quote]

Wow I bet! I used to have an SG with P90s which sounded lovely, tho I didn't get on that well with the rest of the guitar design. But I imagine that sound applied to the feel and build quality of a PRS must be divine.

Edited by bassbiscuits

got mega gas for a LAG acoustic, £139!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAG-Tramontane-Series-T66A-Acoustic-Guitar-NEW-/272028856693?hash=item3f562ef175:g:gkYAAOSwYHxWL7KC

or the electr version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAG-T66ACE-Electro-Acoustic-Guitar-/111814601809?hash=item1a08ab6c51:g:sCsAAOSw9r1WDlUk