Why become a member? ×

A "Which bass to buy?" Question

Defo

Every year I allow myself one bass, sometimes I trade in, sometimes I don't. The cash I have available each year is £1,500 and I prefer to buy from dealers rather than one to one/eBay type things (sorry I know that's awkward). I have a Stingray, Spector Euro4LX DW, USA Deluxe Jazz and an old Roscoe which I adore. I'd rather not lose any of them.
My last purchase will be paid off in a couple of months so I'm looking at what's next. I play just about anything from Prog to Jazz to 80s pop through a Tecamp Puma 900, and two SL112s. I don't do 5 string or fretless.
Any thoughts on what I could go for?

Thanks

Andy

With that collection Andy, covering many different areas, a trusty passive Precision would be a worthy addition. The 2012 onwards models are very nice indeed, I bought one based purely on a soundclip from Spongebobs one which he had on here. Additionally they sound great through an Aggie Tonehammer which I see you have.

Thanks folks, I had a USA precision a few years ago and I couldn't get on with it - I keep seeing them and going ooooh that's nice, any particular ones other than the U.S. standard that stand out? It would need real character I guess. BTW I changed the TH500 for the Puma, need to update my list!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1438098628' post='2831638']
Mike Lull basses are very popular here, They do a lovely P... I've not had the pleasure of playing one but I understand they are very well put together and nice and light.
[/quote]

+1

(Edit, apart from the not played them bit...I've got two :) )

Bass Direct have a PJ4 second hand for £1450.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1438098263' post='2831627']
I bought one based purely on a soundclip from Spongebobs one which he had on here.
[/quote]

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading that! Tell all your friends to buy the EP! :lol:

I hope you're enjoying your new one too, Lozz. Trust it's got 'the' sound?

TBH I haven't played a single bass that has sounded so big across the range. I've played one other post-2012 Precision, and that was the same. Amazing basses, really. I know some knock Fender, but my experiences have always been good....and these new basses are fantastic - and considering general bass cost, not bad value either. I think most of us could just buy one and play it for all of our playing lives as a sole bass, and save a fortune! :)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1438100867' post='2831654']
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading that! Tell all your friends to buy the EP! :lol:

I hope you're enjoying your new one too, Lozz. Trust it's got 'the' sound?

TBH I haven't played a single bass that has sounded so big across the range. I've played one other post-2012 Precision, and that was the same. Amazing basses, really. I know some knock Fender, but my experiences have always been good....and these new basses are fantastic - and considering general bass cost, not bad value either. I think most of us could just buy one and play it for all of our playing lives as a sole bass, and save a fortune! :)
[/quote]

It certainly does have "the sound". Agree with all of that - I`m really knocked out by just how good this Precision is. And I`ve had loads of Precisions. It`s much fuller-bodied in the sound than any I`ve had before, build quality is pretty much perfect, and with the set-up that it came with it plays like a dream.

OP - you might not have liked Precisions previously, but these are really a step up - I`d try one out, dunno if they`ve got character or not, they`re just darn good basses.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1438098764' post='2831641']
Failing that you could go for a nice custom ACG?
[/quote]

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/available-now/ :yarr:

Eude

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1438117729' post='2831877']
You've got a Dingwall shaped hole in the stable. Bass Direct have a secondhand starting around £1350

Should try one of these.
[/quote]

Definitely on the list, no idea what they feel like to play though?

[quote name='Defo' timestamp='1438179457' post='2832314']

Definitely on the list, no idea what they feel like to play though?
[/quote]

I loved them. That's why I bought and tried three different ones. I sold them on for no good reason other than I am a incurable bass-hopper and never settle with anything for long.

Of all I've played, the Dingwall was by far the nicest and the fan frets will augment your playing. Couple of minutes and you will wonder why you never tried it sooner.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1438180940' post='2832334']
Every bass player should own a Thunderbird at least once in their life and with your budget you're also into second hand Ric territory.

I'll get my flak jacket
[/quote]

I would look ridiculous with a TB! A Ricky is interesting though thanks

My Mrs got me a Gibson Les Paul bass. I would have never thought of one of these, but I absolutely love it. It's quite simply gorgeous and sounds amazing too! I would recommend one of these easily!

Edited by ubit