Why become a member? ×

New mini bass version of the Cali76 compressor!

dannybuoy

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1438494894' post='2834854']
I'd wait and see ... their talk about the deluxe version distorting with bass, and the demo video mentioning "an SVT vibe" with the bass version has me wondering. I personally want a clean compressor, though adding harmonic content is perhaps right up someone else's alley.
[/quote]

it does sound a bit more grindy than my cali76-g which has a little bit of grind in it my guess is that might go if you dropped the input/output down but they arent cranked in the video, does sound very nice, but id have to be 100% sure before i did the change as origin dnt make my cali anymore.

andy

I'v preordered the Darkglass Super Symmetry from Thomann so hopefully in a few weeks I can have a shootout with the original Cali76. The Super Symmetry will go back if it can't compete, if it can...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1439674561' post='2844950']
I'v preordered the Darkglass Super Symmetry from Thomann so hopefully in a few weeks I can have a shootout with the original Cali76. The Super Symmetry will go back if it can't compete, if it can...
[/quote]

Need to hear your opinion on which is best!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1439674561' post='2844950']
[/quote]

Im also looking forward to hearing your views on this. Im thinking of ditching my VMTD and just getting a compressor, and i do like the look of the DG.

god damn it i wish Darkglass would hurry up, i am in desperate need of a compressor. I have used one built into the last few amps i have had and now have switched to running straight into a power amp from the B7K. Feel naked without my compressor and this and the Darkglass are looking to be the only ones i want. Really dont want to buy either without a shootout from someone. ARGH!!! THE PAIN......

I caved in too quickly and just ordered a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Compressor. I like the idea of the blend knob and how it works with the filter switch.
I'm still interested in seeing what the DG can do but I felt it's a bit too much money for me, even after selling my VMTD.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1440538740' post='2851818']
I caved in too quickly and just ordered a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Compressor. I like the idea of the blend knob and how it works with the filter switch.
I'm still interested in seeing what the DG can do but I felt it's a bit too much money for me, even after selling my VMTD.
[/quote]

I thought the DG price was very good to be honest, considering the competition of boutique compressors are all more expensive, Diamond, Empress, Origin e.t.c.

I'v actually cancelled my pre-order with Thomann as Bass Direct have priced it much keener, surprising given the strength of the Euro.

I will probably wait until it comes out now in truth, we will see :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1440540892' post='2851846']
I thought the DG price was very good to be honest, considering the competition of boutique compressors are all more expensive, Diamond, Empress, Origin e.t.c.
[/quote]
Yes, this occurred to me, too. Origin's website prices the new mini Cali76 at £279, whereas Bass Direct are asking £199 for the Super Symmetry. The smaller size of the Cali really appeals, but from what I have gathered about the two pedals I think the Darkglass is more what I'm after.

I have gone for the Cali over the darkglass. I think they are 2 total different animals. The darkglass is totally transparent and from what little I heard from that YouTube demo, sounds like it does an awesome job. For me I love the tone and vibe a compressor with its own unique characteristics can give.

Yes, that's exactly why I've decided not to invest in the Cali, awesome though it will undoubtedly be. From what I have gathered on the Interwebs, it imparts even more of a vintage, tubey kind of flavour than the big one does - some are describing it as having an 'SVT vibe'. All well and good, but I think that my current rig (Aguilar TH500 into 2 SL112s) is doing enough of that kind of thing already, so I hope you're right about the Darkglass being more transparent - that's exactly what I want!

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1440767529' post='2853683']
Yes, that's exactly why I've decided not to invest in the Cali, awesome though it will undoubtedly be. From what I have gathered on the Interwebs, it imparts even more of a vintage, tubey kind of flavour than the big one does - some are describing it as having an 'SVT vibe'. All well and good, but I think that my current rig (Aguilar TH500 into 2 SL112s) is doing enough of that kind of thing already, so I hope you're right about the Darkglass being more transparent - that's exactly what I want!
[/quote]

Hmm, I wouldn't read too much into this SVT vibe thing. I have only heard this in the demo video some US guy put up, I don't think it will have an SVT vibe at all, but I could be wrong! Mimicing the relative settings he used in the video on my Cali standard I could see where he may have been coming from, so if that is what he means then it will sound basically the same.

The Darkglass will be completely transparent, so Doug claims. I'm not sure how I feel about that, to be honest.

After a thorough A/B against the Cali (albeit the large one for now) I went with the Keeley Compressor Pro. Very transparent and I love the fact it has auto and manual settings and heavy and soft knee selection.

Cali Bass and the new Darkglass will undoubtedly be good, but I think I have chosen the right the for me.

https://robertkeeley.com/product/keeley-compressor-pro-namm-2015/

Edited by HazBeen

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1440839544' post='2854202']
So, who has theirs now? A few at Talkbass have already had theirs, so us UK forums goers should have some by now, surely!
[/quote]

Still waiting on mine, ordered on the day of release, they expected it to be 3 weeks but coming up for 5 and no word yet so I'm guessing they have had a lot more interest than expected! Will report back thoughts when it turns up...

Arrived not long ago.

Only had 10 minutes with it, I need to get it on the board and spend some more time with it but initial thoughts are its killer, the HPF is every bit as good as I hoped, and surprisingly perhaps I think I do prefer it to my old full size Cali (non transformer version, I suspect this isn't quite up to the transformer version standard). It really has a ton of depth, open up the HPF and its just a bottomless pit of Cali loveliness. The controls are very intuitive, wasn't sure about the combined Attack/Release control but having just used it its really nice and my main concern was the metering but the single light is pretty cool and I'm actually liking its making me use my ears more rather than just looking at a meter for 8 to 12 DB reduction which is my default. It feels like they have squeezed a lot in this little thing, its reassuringly heavy and is built like a tank.

Its bloody good, if I had just spent that 10 minutes in a shop trying it I would have walked out £300 lighter.

[attachment=200295:IMG_2128 (1).JPG]

Edit - Had some more time with it now and yeah it is very very good indeed, for what I want out of a compressor pedal its as good as it gets, was going to give the Darkglass a try as well but not now I'm very happy with this. Couple of negatives would be there is a brief cut in sound when the pedal is engaged, but most will have this always on so not an issue I guess and the huge chunky screws holding the bass plate on, that means a single layer of Velcro on the bottom doesn't make contact with the pedalboard, so i had to stick a few layers of thick Gaffa tape on the bottom then put the Velcro on so it clears the screws, seems an odd flaw for a pedal that's selling point is its more pedal board friendly than the full size units. But these are minor things, the compressor its self is a work of art really.

Edited by Bearfist