Why become a member? ×

Your Practice Amp - How Much Power?

spongebob

I've posted this here, rather than the amps section, as it's not a question related to any individual brand/model.

Essentially, I'm thinking of changing my Orange practice amp - think it's 25w. Looking at a Fender Rumble, as it would match my main rig. So no gear enquiry there!

However, I like the options on the 40w model. Just a bit worried that the size is a bit of overkill for a practice amp. For our trio, it wouldn't be gig size...mainly for indoor use unless I'm backing some Morris dancers!

So how big is yours......?! :D

25 watt Ampeg BA108 in living room, 15 watt Fender Rumble (old version) in spare room where PC is, for learning songs along to youtube. Neither get above 9 0`clock on volume.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1437922433' post='2829999']
25 watt Ampeg BA108 in living room, 15 watt Fender Rumble (old version) in spare room where PC is, for learning songs along to youtube. Neither get above 9 0`clock on volume.
[/quote]

+1 for the Rumble 15!

No doubt there will be come back on this, but 750 watts (according to TCE!). RH 750 through two RS212s. Volume is usually around 0900 to 1000hrs on the dial.

My practice kit is my only kit down south, although I do keep a 10watt Vox (a pile of sh... imho) in Scotland. I am looking at a Phil Jones Super Flightcase BG300 for exam / practice / jam with mates deal (when funds / priorities allow).

Edited by Bobthedog

At home, a Cafe Walter headphone practice box. Fantastic bit of kit.

For practice amp, I have a 30 watt EBS session combo. That only handles small practices - at home, or with a very light drummer. If I need more than that, my gig rig of Orange Terror + Super Compact is easy enough to shift about.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1437925096' post='2830044']
I actually have the Rumble 40, and it is overkill for a bedroom amp - I never drive it past 8 o'clock on the master. That said, it's really compact and light so it doesn't take up loads of room, and it's nice to know I have a bit of headroom to play with if ever I need it.
[/quote]

Hope this makes sense, but is it a clear sounding 8 o'clock? When I run my Orange (checked and it's 20w) that low, it sounds terrible. It's either too loud, or cutting out! I was thinking that a 40w would provide a clearer tone, even at a low level?

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1437927386' post='2830069']

Hope this makes sense, but is it a clear sounding 8 o'clock? When I run my Orange (checked and it's 20w) that low, it sounds terrible. It's either too loud, or cutting out! I was thinking that a 40w would provide a clearer tone, even at a low level?
[/quote]

It's clear enough for me! I think you're best off checking one out in a shop if you can, or if you're anywhere near SE London you're welcome to pop in and try mine.

Genz streamliner 900 into BFM simplex 1x12. I built my own rehearsal / recording studio this spring in an outbuilding at the end of the garden. I also practice drums in there and we have weekly band rehearsal there too. Volume isn't really an issue.