Why become a member? ×

Do you and your partner have similar musical tastes?

Roland Rock

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1437841692' post='2829484']
My wife has terrible music taste but amazing jubblies and her dad owns a brewery.
[/quote]

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that what men really want for Christmas is a giant tit full of lager.

Of the music I listen to, Mrs Axe likes country, Mark Knopfler and some mainstream pop/rock. She definitely does not like:

Frank Zappa - 'weird'
Steely Dan - 'elevator music'
Bob Dylan - 'can't sing' - although strangely Van Morrison is ok!

She has introduced me to some artists I would otherwise have dismissed, particularly the Mavericks, KT Tunstall, and Norah Jones.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437841942' post='2829486']
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that what men really want for Christmas is [b]a giant tit full of lager[/b].
[/quote]

Isn't that Liam Gallagher?

I'm here all week...

Mrs_5 and I share a love of tawdry 80s pop and Björk. That's about it. She don't like rock/metal/old skool hip hop/jazz/Frank Zappa/drum & bass/etc...

No great surprise that we listen to a lot of Radio 4 then...

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1437843044' post='2829497']
My listening to and even playing music drives my wife up the wall. Then again, I think me even breathing drives her up the wall too :)
[/quote]
It's going well then ...

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1437841692' post='2829484']
My wife has terrible music taste but amazing jubblies and her dad owns a brewery.
[/quote]
You clearly have some cat DNA ; you have landed on your feet there

My wife is one of those people who says 'what do they sing?' If you mention a band, a sure sign of someone to whom music means nothing. She never likes anything she hears for the first time on the radio, although will profess to love it a couple of days later after a few listens-unless it's being played by my band, in which she will automatically love it, bless her, because it's me. She has been to see the Stranglers with me several times, including at the Eden Project last month, and always loved them.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437897827' post='2829751']
Going by the majority of these posts, it seems that opposites really do attract...
[/quote]

It's more to do with practicalities than attraction - she needs somebody to pay the bills & I need somewhere to live.....

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1437905804' post='2829809']
It's more to do with practicalities than attraction - she needs somebody to pay the bills & I need somewhere to live...
[/quote]

Ahh! The 'Welsh Arrangement'. Nicely done! :lol: ;)

Edited by discreet

My wife, by her own admission, is not a massive music fan. She liked pop stuff like Boyzone, Britney Spears, etc when we met. My influence has helped and nowadays she likes Muse, Iron Maiden, Clutch and even the odd one from Mastodon. She likes a bit of Zep as well. Might see if she'll embrace Rush over the next few years...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1437905804' post='2829809']
It's more to do with practicalities than attraction - she needs somebody to pay the bills & I need somewhere to live.....
[/quote]

Bin there, dun that, won't be repeating the experience.

Well, not if I can avoid it!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1437909743' post='2829858']
Bin there, dun that, won't be repeating the experience.

Well, not if I can avoid it!
[/quote]

It's lasted a hell of a lot longer than any other relationship I've been in.
A lot of that fluffy relationship crap people look for has a very short shelf life & is very over-rated IMO.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1437911122' post='2829878']
A lot of that fluffy relationship crap people look for has a very short shelf life & is very over-rated IMO.
[/quote]

Tell me about it. I prefer a relationship that's like hand-to-hand combat in a ditch. At night. In winter. And it's raining.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437911656' post='2829887']
I prefer a relationship that's like hand-to-hand combat in a ditch. At night. In winter. And it's raining.
[/quote]

That's not for me - far too much interaction.