Why become a member? ×

Recommended Luthiers

Hamster

I'd like to recommend Jeff Beers of Zero One guitars in West Wales. He did an amazing job of sorting out issues on my Gibson SG and was brutally honest about a bass I took to him - he showed me all the problems with it and suggested I sell it for parts, doing himself out of some work in the process. The SG came back like a new instrument, I can't recommend him enough. Lovely guy, very talented and incredible eye for detail.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Local-Business/ZERO-ONE-Guitars-393710820789091/

On 28/09/2020 at 00:01, Nickthebass said:

Chris McIntyre isn’t in London anymore. He is now in Edinburgh. Easier to get him on the phone rather than email  

McIntyre Guitars
Unit 5B
Albion Business Centre
78 Albion Road
Edinburgh EH7 5QZ
Scotland
United KingdomTel: 07764747450
email: [email protected]Links

I just had Chris do some electronics fixes and set ups on 2 basses for me. Both came out well.

If you want to get hold of him it’s best to text or call his mobile rather than email. He is pretty busy at the minute.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend someone to work on a bass in NE England? My trusty guy Alan Brason in Tyneside has retired sadly (probably great for him!).

I need  a new loaded control plate fitted but also a proper neck/fret/action/intonation job.

Cheers, Doug

1 hour ago, funkydoug said:

Can anyone recommend someone to work on a bass in NE England? My trusty guy Alan Brason in Tyneside has retired sadly (probably great for him!).

I need  a new loaded control plate fitted but also a proper neck/fret/action/intonation job.

Cheers, Doug

@dodge_bass - anything you can help with?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HUGE thumbs up for Sims/Enfield Guitars.....They are just down the road from me and are helping me fix a MAJOR issue caused by someone who really should have known better. Truss road already bottomed out after 7 years or less on a custom built bass! As you can probably imagine, I am not happy in the slightest. Either a new neck or if I get very lucky, frets pulled, reshoot and hope to hell the neck is now stable. NOT holding my breath. Original builder? Not his problem, refuses to take any responsibility for his mistake and blames it all on anything bar his work.

Mike/Martin at Sims have been superb. Less said about the other place the better.

Edited by ADAM ROBERTS
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Chris Larkin died in 2018 and his business wasn't taken over, so he should be removed from the first post, I think. The domain lapsed and has been taken over by scammers.

I know there are luthiers in Ireland, but I haven't dealt with any, so I don't have any to recommend yet.

Edited by bnt

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2018 at 20:26, TheGreek said:

Terry Chapman seems to have slipped off the list. I've inserted him where I think he should be.

Just a quick update on my details as the ones on the list are very old.  Mike Walsh C/o Zoot Bass. Silver end, Witham. Essex.  07904350724  [email protected]  www.zootbass.com

Edited by Cosmicrain
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

I've updated some of Terry Chapman's info but for those needing some work done in North Herts Terry has been having treatment for Cancer for about two years and is not taking on any new work currently.

Please check Gary Mac's details - he's based in Hoddesdon.

Hoping that he gets well soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just had a full set up fretboard clean and re-string done by Richy Jones of Richy’s Guitar Workshop.

https://www.richysguitarworkshop.com 

He’s done a great job and is a really friendly guy to deal with. Prices (see website) are excellent imo, and the lead time was only 10 days.

Would recommend to others - for avoidance of doubt I have no connection with him and found him via a Google search and thought I’d give him a go. Glad I did. Nice to support a young entrepreneur!!

Located 5 mins walk from Fulham Broadway tube station 👍🏻

IMG_0022.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

• 1 month later...

A big thumbs up for Julian Wallis - The Guitar Doctor - in Penzance and expert on the TV Repair Shop.  I recently bought some excellent LaBella black nylon covered strings for my Sadowsky Metro HPJ but could not get it set-up nicely at all.  A lot of fret buzz on the D-string which only went away with a very high action.  There was also signs of fret wear along the D up to the 5th fret so I decided to take it along to Julian for a check over and fret dress.  Dropped it off at midday and went off with Mrs OBBM to have lunch.  We went back at 14:30 to find it all done.  The problem D-string tuned out to be a rogue and Julian had popped in a secondhand D until I could get a replacement which is coming - thanks Bass Direct.  At home I stole one from another bass, lowered the action to my preferred height and now I can't stop playing this bass.  Really pleased with his work. He's doing some work on another of my instruments at the moment but more of that another time.