Why become a member? ×

Newtone Heritage strings - low tension, low standard?

Ancient Mariner

I've been a Newtone heritage convert, enjoying the lower string tension that has made acoustic OK to play, rather than both painful and lousy sounding. But it seems like nothing ever comes free, and the trade off has bee, in my case, lower quality strings.

Set 1 - the wrap wore through much faster than other types I've used, considering how little I play acoustic, leaving frayed ends sticking out and gaps between intact sections of wrap.

Set 2 - just got round to replacing set 1, and the G broke as I was stretching them in - I really wasn't pulling *that* hard.

Any other users, anyone find similar things? I'm going to ask for a replacement G FOC.

Been using Newtone Heritage strings on my Atkin for a while now - easily the best acoustic strings I've ever used.
No quality problems whatsoever & they get a real beating as acoustic guitar is my main instrument these days.

Had a set on my acoustic for well over a year.

The outer winding on the G is coming unraveled and so the string sounds totally dead. All the other strings are still fine.

So well over a year of occasional use and one string down. I would use them again...but I will probably save a couple of quid and just put some other brand light gauge strings on.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1438103503' post='2831685']

The outer winding on the G is coming unraveled and so the string sounds totally dead.
[/quote]

Did you follow the fitting instructions correctly? As they are on round cores they will unravel if you don't fit them properly.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1438116922' post='2831865']

Did you follow the fitting instructions correctly? As they are on round cores they will unravel if you don't fit them properly.
[/quote]

Nope :D :D :D

But I don't think they would have lasted so long if I had done anything seriously wrong.