Why become a member? ×

Limelight MM P Bass...

discreet

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]Limelight MM P Bass...[/b]

Saw this on Classic & Cool guitars... looks like Mark's trying out a couple of new things. :) You know what my views are on tort with black, but apart from that it looks pretty intriguing. I'm wondering what it sounds like...

[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][url="http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/limelight00161mmp.htm"]http://classicandcoo...ght00161mmp.htm[/url]

"It's a P bodied bass with a MM pick up and a left-handed J-width neck, set up (just to be completely clear) to be played as a regular right-handed bass. You may think the upside tuners might be a bit awkward, but actually they fall perfectly to hand and you quickly use them without having to think about it.

The body has a medium relic, but looks 'right'. The metal work is just lightly-tarnished which is how we've been doing them recently, and has the usual Limelight refinements.

Specifications:
Gotoh vintage L/H tuners
Aged Nitro-cellulose finished neck with Tusq nut, clay dots and hand rolled fingerboard edges
Alder body finished in nitro-cellulose Black.
Quality vintage bridge
CTS pots and Sprague cap
Vintage wired
MM type Pick up"

Lightly-tarnished metalwork sounds good to me. Looks like Mark has been taking on board feedback from various sources about the perceived 'over-relicing' of hardware, particularly bridges...[/font][/size]

Edited by discreet

I really, really like that and it's interesting to see that LL will do custom stuff like that. I'd assumed it was
strictly vintage replicas.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1437758054' post='2828879']
.. Here's some bits I had lying around
[/quote]

A pile of parts that IMO look awesome combined :D .

Always like LH necks on righty basses and I love the classic looks of the black/tort with the tug bar combined with the more modern MM style pickup.
Would be very intererested to hear what that style of pickup sounds like in that position as well.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1437787115' post='2829113']
A pile of parts that IMO look awesome combined :D
[/quote]

Agreed. I'm having naughty thoughts about a red P Bass with mint guard, one-piece maple and a Darkstar pup. Must... resist...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437790061' post='2829124']
Agreed. I'm having naughty thoughts about a red P Bass with mint guard, one-piece maple and a Darkstar pup. Must... resist...
[/quote]
Not quite what you're thinking of, but letch away:

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1437838384' post='2829459']
Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question but didn't G and L invent one of those back in 1980 (L1000)?
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437838958' post='2829464']
Not a silly question... very nice they were/are, too.

[/quote]

Yes indeed. and a 5-string - note pickup in MM sweet spot rather than Precision position:

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1437940874' post='2830260']
Did they spray paint theirs too?
[/quote]

I dunno... this was my SB-2... though not actually a guard, [i]per se[/i]... more a control plate... :rolleyes:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1437841516' post='2829482']

Not quite what you're thinking of, but letch away:

Yes indeed. and a 5-string - note pickup in MM sweet spot rather than Precision position:

[/quote]

Isn't the pickup on the L1000 in the Precision position, whilst the L1500/1505 has it in the Stingray position?