Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='rayfw' post='273708' date='Aug 31 2008, 02:15 PM']Fender? Check!
Stingray? Check!
Markbass? Check!
Any Warwick haters want to chime in so that all my gear has been slagged off ?[/quote]
I am surprised the legion of Rickenbacker haters haven't flocked on to this thread .... yet (I own two!)

Edited by Clarky

Hate and should be destroyed: Any instrument made by Gibson, mainly Gibson basses though!!!

Over-rated: ( For me anyway) Valve or Tube Rigs... Valve Preamps are good though!

D-Tuners, although I do use one....pain in the arse!

Most types of strap locks...always break on me!

Fretlines on my Fretless...well over-rated :)

Legendary Roundwound strings :huh: don't seem to last more than 1 gig!

1. Warwick basses, never played one I've liked yet, not very well made in my experiance, and don't sound that good

2. Big name guitar companies making "relic" instruments. and giving them a unbelievable price tag.

3. Ashdown............. say no more !!

[quote name='Jase' post='273735' date='Aug 31 2008, 02:46 PM']Most types of strap locks...always break on me![/quote]
I forgot about straplocks. the ones I've tried were all useless over engineered sh*t - they might stop the strap coming off the strap button, but when the button wants to come off the bass - clang! (I took all the schallers off my basses after this happened. I've had much better success with grolsch swingtop seals like Pino uses (I wonder if his fender sig bass comes with a pair?) And for a more subtle look I use shower hose washers which are the absolute best thing to use if like me you keep the strap on the bass when its put away.

+1 on fx pedals as well. (except compressors/limiters when used transparently)

[quote name='bigd1' post='273759' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:17 PM']1. Warwick basses, never played one I've liked yet, not very well made in my experiance, and don't sound that good[/quote]
Zing!
That's all my gear slagged off in one thread.
Do I win a prize?

:)

passive basses - too quiet, don't sound good, have to mess around with your amp to get different sounds etc.

3 band EQ on an active bass - i never use the mids anyway.

red basses that aren't mettalic red, CAR and chrome red are cool, fiesta red etc. look horrible and cheap. same goes for white pickguards.

awful sounding overdrive pedals, the ones that just make a big fuzz that drowns out what you're actually playing.

and i know its not gear, but jaco pastorius.

[quote name='lwtait' post='273773' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:38 PM']ooh... just read stanley260's thread in the bass guitars section about non-reverse thunderbirds. they're NASTY! i think they're possibly the worst looking bass ever made, i really do.[/quote]
ashdown amps , mine went t*ts up

Ordinary maple fretboards, they look so cheap. So cheap they don't even look like wood. Last time I was in Liverpool I tried a MIA P bass, sounded great, but the neck was so ugly, the maple looked like cheap plastic with a sickly yellow colour.

Barts I also think are the ugliest and cheapest looking pick-ups going. They look like their also made from cheap plastic, might sound good, but it seems like Mr. Bartolini decided that the pick-ups would sound good enough to make people forget how ugly they are.

+ 1 on relicking

Ricks don't get them, horrible nasty trebly clanking sound

Peavey amps / cabs don't get them either

Have tried an Ashdown ABM valve amp at a gig and hated it - too many controls (sliders/knobs) to get a decent sound

For the record I can get a very useful range of sounds out of my Ashdown amps (Superfly/Mag300) with my Superfly cabs, have been told the sound is warm and kind of vintage - perfect for blues :)

Also have no problems with my Fenders (sorry quite like em) or my Warwick, which is currently my main live bass :huh: