Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

I am not a big fan of exotic woods, but why do people liken them to furniture - surely most of us are more likely to own furniture made of glass/laminate wood or decent hardwood at best - I for one have never seen a spalted maple coffee table with wenge legs and cocobolo edging!!

ped

EDIT:

Oh...

1. Boutique basses - just because it's taken one old man in a shack on a mountain 7 years to make and it's composed chiefly of wood from trees that grow only on 1 Pacific Island bonded together with glue mixed from the tears of orphaned seal cubs and nectar from rainforest plants and costs more than my house does not necessarily make it a good bass to play
2. People who own (1) above - just because they can tell people that they own (1) above
3. I own lots of music that can be described as sterile and cold - nothing wrong with that
4. Any bass with more than 5 strings - get a guitar and detune it for heaven's sake and anything with 7 or more - sorry but no, just no
5. finger style snobbery - "oh it's just playing bass properly if you use a pick" b*ll*x
6. Everybody who blindly worships Wooten and Entwhistle and all the others who appear to have ascended to the Bass Pantheon of divinity stop basing your frame of reference on them! Find your own way!!!!!
7. (non-) effect snobbery - effects are perfectly valid, *if properly used*
8. Mark King - because no one should ever play a bass that high (on his body)
9. People who whinge about Thunderbirds "oh but the neck drops!" well boo hoo cry me a river people just deal with it or get a different guitar or fix it but don't whine about it
10. Jazz and Blues are overrated as genres
11. "The Pocket" - I don't like it and I don't want to stay in it thank you very much
12. Headless basses - clumsy and unbalanced
Well that should be everyone on the forum covered by now sorry but it's monday and I need to vent!!!!
Gerrrrrrr............. :)

[quote name='Oscar South' post='273808' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:40 PM']85% of people who say they don't like basses with more than 4 strings are just distasted because they either can't play a 5+ stringer well, or can't afford one. 10% are just saying it to be contrary or because they think it'll earn them 'bass cred'.[/quote]

"distasted" ????

[quote]QUOTE (Oscar South @ Aug 31 2008, 04:40 PM)
85% of people who say they don't like basses with more than 4 strings are just distasted because they either can't play a 5+ stringer well, or can't afford one. 10% are just saying it to be contrary or because they think it'll earn them 'bass cred'.[/quote]
100% of this is made up.
Distated is not a word.
(85 + 10) = 95, I am assuming therefore that I fall into the remaining 5% who don't like them for other than the reasons that you have stated...

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='274336' date='Sep 1 2008, 11:21 AM']100% of this is made up.
Distated is not a word.
(85 + 10) = 95, I am assuming therefore that I fall into the remaining 5% who don't like them for other than the reasons that you have stated...[/quote]
I had a 5-stringer (Warwick Thumb b/o) and could play it but found the low B string a waste of time apart from as a thumb/hand rest - and that was in a down-tuned metal band! I found it much easier to downtune the 4 'regular strings' (as the tension was better), leaving the low string pointless.

Not that I didn't like it - just didn't gain anything from it.

I must be in that 'other' 5%!

[quote name='marcus bell' post='274195' date='Sep 1 2008, 01:34 AM']p.s. has anyone got any ashdown gear for sale :)[/quote]

Well, I have an Ashdown and I love it, but after reading about all these people who don't like it, I'm thinking that my opinion must obviously be wrong. So obviously I'll be getting rid of it post haste.

S.P.

[quote name='ped' post='274308' date='Sep 1 2008, 10:47 AM']I am not a big fan of exotic woods, but why do people liken them to furniture - surely most of us are more likely to own furniture made of glass/laminate wood or decent hardwood at best - I for one have never seen a spalted maple coffee table with wenge legs and cocobolo edging!!

ped

EDIT:

Oh...[/quote]

Not a bass one but ...

Fenders (aims kick at g**tarist's Fender amp which needs a new hideously overpriced and needlessly complex input jack)

Ampegs (aims kick at rehearsal room SVT350H which keeps crapping out)

SWRs (sound horrible and thin when used to replace Ampeg SVT which keeps crapping out)

Warwicks with thick necks

Ludicrously expensive straps

Rickenbacker basses

Gibson basses

Planet Waves cables

Hofner violin basses

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='274325' date='Sep 1 2008, 11:06 AM']Well that should be everyone on the forum covered by now sorry but it's monday and I need to vent!!!!
Gerrrrrrr............. :)[/quote]

you missed me out, for one!!! theres nothing there (except maybe "The pocket", not sure what your talking about tbh) that describes me or my stuff. muhahaha.

and whoever it was that said about is there any ashdown stuff for sale, im not sure whether your joking, but my amp probably will be soon, once the music rooms built (and its nearly finished now) i'll be downsizing my practice amp for my bedroom.

Great thread. So completely readable and yet so completely pointless. Luv it!

I thought I'd read it all and it would remind me of my pet hates, so I could second them.

Amazingly, I found nothing. I don't have any! I have several consternations though. Like why have distortion pedals for bass? If I want filth, I overdrive my amp's pre-gain.

Nobody has slagged off the Roland Vbass yet, probably because nobody has ever used one? I am happy to report that the rest of my gear has been slagged off (Line 6 and Vigier) which is funny - ha ha funny rather than odd funny. It is amazing how peoples tastes vary.

Oldgit - love that table, where did you find it? Can you buy them?

ped

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='274358' date='Sep 1 2008, 11:58 AM']Actually, why ARE straps so expensve...?[/quote]

They aren't. :)
Many a good strap is less than the cost of a few pints of beer or a set of strings and last way longer than either ...

Oh and the right strap can transform how your bass feels and hangs and thus how well you perform and play ....

[quote name='BassManKev' post='274311' date='Sep 1 2008, 10:49 AM']1x15 cabs/combos when used on their own, meh[/quote][quote name='alexclaber' post='274353' date='Sep 1 2008, 11:54 AM']You need to hear a good 15" cab.[/quote]+1.

All I need now is for someone to have a pop at Status, Focusrite and Crown and I'll have the full set too! C'mon Kev (or Josh), you know you want to. :)

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='274369' date='Sep 1 2008, 12:06 PM']Great thread. So completely readable and yet so completely pointless. Luv it![/quote]

+1!

[quote]Why have distortion pedals for bass? If I want filth, I overdrive my amp's pre-gain.[/quote]

A pedal allows you to do that and switch it in and out ... Can't be doing with all that fiddling about with gain settings half way through a verse and then try to get it back to where it was for the chorus and then have different settings for the middle 8 ...

[quote]QUOTE (BassMunkee @ Sep 1 2008, 11:58 AM)
Actually, why ARE straps so expensve...?

They aren't.
Many a good strap is less than the cost of a few pints of beer or a set of strings and last way longer than either ...

Oh and the right strap can transform how your bass feels and hangs and thus how well you perform and play ....[/quote]
+1 to your last statement - preferably so that my bass hangs somewhere around my thighs, and actually I've had my current strap for about a decade, and it's still going strong, and it wasn't very expensive, so with hinsight my comment was somewhat without merit. :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='274383' date='Sep 1 2008, 12:17 PM']Silverfoxnik - what have you started here. It's like a [b]runaway[/b] steamroller. :)[/quote]Surely, given the speed (or otherwise) of yer average steamroller, it's more of a 'walkaway'... :huh: