Why become a member? ×

What exactly does a warranty cover ?

thewalruswaspaul

Ive bought a lot of my basses used and so have never actually taken a bass for repair under warranty. It seems with low to mid range basses it is very popular for people to buy basses and to replace the pickups which leads me to my question , if you buy a bass and lets say you replace the pickups , does that invalidate your warranty? , my point is that you could replace the pickups and then have a problem completely unrelated to your mod (for example the nack could warp). I can understand that if you replace say the pickups and something goes wrong with the electrics then the manafacturer would be well within their rights to refuse to fix something that you potentially messed up but would that invalidate the warranty on the rest of the bass as well?
I apologise in advance if this is a really dumb question

Edited by thewalruswaspaul

As a warranty is really an insurance scheme, it's a bit like those for cars. If you mod a car without telling the insurance company about it they may well not pay out in event of a claim. These companies have a rep for finding a way out of paying up for these schemes. Maybe a bit of buyer beware. My 2 pence.

[quote name='thewalruswaspaul' post='273409' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:29 PM']Ive bought a lot of my basses used and so have never actually taken a bass for repair under warranty. It seems with low to mid range basses it is very popular for people to buy basses and to replace the pickups which leads me to my question , if you buy a bass and lets say you replace the pickups , does that invalidate your warranty? , my point is that you could replace the pickups and then have a problem completely unrelated to your mod (for example the nack could warp). I can understand that if you replace say the pickups and something goes wrong with the electrics then the manafacturer would be well within their rights to refuse to fix something that you potentially messed up but would that invalidate the warranty on the rest of the bass as well?
I apologise in advance if this is a really dumb question[/quote]
The warranty for the bass is still in effect... but nothing to do with the pickups would be covered as they wouldn't have been manufactured by the same people are therefore no warranty will pay out for someone's elses faults..

The small print may say that they will not honour the warranty if you mess with the bass but that's not really the situation.

Under the sale of goods act things you buy have to be fit for the purpose they are sold for and for a "reasonable time" thus if your bass' pre-amp stops working a day after the warranty runs out they cannot refuse to fix it as they are legally required to do so.
If they do then quote the act. It's not a fixed term such as "a washing machine should last for 10 years, an Iron for 7, a bass for 50" If it came to court it would be whatthe court decided was "reasonable"
Of course, should you happen to ask the salesman how long a bass should last he'll tell you they will last for ever if you change the battery and strings regularly and have it serviced annually .... :)

Oh and lets make it clear here. It's the shop you have the contract with, not the manufacturer so the shop can't duck out of it that way either .. or demand shipping payment to send it back ...

There's a fine government website on the sale of good act that lays out your rights in nice, printable, pages .... Just right for showing to shop people.
[url="http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html"]Sale of Goods Overview page[/url]

So, in all, mess with the pups and they can refuse to fix them or anthing they may touch however, that does not include a fingerboard detatching itself or the finish peeling off etc...