Why become a member? ×

Groundhog Day set lists...

jonnythenotes

Obviously each act is different, and some will be known for performing certain covers. All I know is that I was in an originals band that could entertain a whole pub for a night without being asked for mustang sally, and I'm in an originals band at the moment which can do the same.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1437498373' post='2826600']
😀
[/quote]

I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. I've seen many people disagree on this forum and then the troll card gets thrown in. Why is someone a troll just because they disagree with a few people ?

Perhaps another way of looking at the audience wanting songs they know and feel comfy with, is that the band they are watching is either nor very good, or not very entertaining. An audience want something they can buy into and relate to, but if all the band can offer is songs, with no visual excitement, aggression, or energy, then the audience will default to something they will find rewarding... this being familiarity with the songs. Every year I am fortunate enough to play at The Cork Guinness festival in Ireland. Every pub, bar, hotel and street corner is packed with bands, all of which are wildly entertaining, yet virtually none of them bang out the usual pub rock stuff.... This is the second biggest festival of its kind in the world, and pulls in tens of thousands of people from all over Europe every year. It's been running for years now and is an 'All right now' free zone. This is because the bands booked for the festival are good enough to entertain without the 'Groundhog Day' set list being required. I am convinced if the standard pub rock set was attempted at the festival, it would clear the building PDFQ... How does that work then...?

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1437584470' post='2827321']
Perhaps another way of looking at the audience wanting songs they know and feel comfy with, is that the band they are watching is either nor very good, or not very entertaining. An audience want something they can buy into and relate to, but if all the band can offer is songs, with no visual excitement, aggression, or energy, then the audience will default to something they will find rewarding... this being familiarity with the songs. Every year I am fortunate enough to play at The Cork Guinness festival in Ireland. Every pub, bar, hotel and street corner is packed with bands, all of which are wildly entertaining, yet virtually none of them bang out the usual pub rock stuff.... This is the second biggest festival of its kind in the world, and pulls in tens of thousands of people from all over Europe every year. It's been running for years now and is an 'All right now' free zone. This is because the bands booked for the festival are good enough to entertain without the 'Groundhog Day' set list being required. I am convinced if the standard pub rock set was attempted at the festival, it would clear the building PDFQ... How does that work then...?
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more mate but not all of us are able to give a wild exciting show for any number of reasons. Ie. Not enough room or more likely purely for the fact that they might get ridiculed or worse because they know half the town and if they behaved like a rock star , it wouldn't go down well.
I like to think we are pretty good at what we do but we are not professional entertainers with a big stage to put on a show. We have to face some of these people in the street. Also, I'm not as young as I once was, so behaving like a nonce doesn't feel right. :(

Edited by ubit

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1437579920' post='2827257']
I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. I've seen many people disagree on this forum and then the troll card gets thrown in. Why is someone a troll just because they disagree with a few people ?
[/quote]disagreeing in a polite and respectful way is fine, its when it gets aggressive and nasty, and the same point is made over and over again

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1437513759' post='2826756']
Sounds like a damn good set list.
[/quote]

Conferred with my drinking partner, and we have (mostly) agreed on the following. I was jet lagged, and we had a few more beers than is my usual, so the end of the evening is a bit more hazy than normal.

It helped enormously that they had a keys player, as a lot of this would be hard with just 2 guitars I think. I've certainly never heard Alanis Morissette's 'You oughta know' sung by a bloke before, and with no change to the lyric! That said, and as has been discussed on here many times, how many people actually listen to the words?

Not in set list order...................

Run with the pack - Bad Company
Don't do it - The Band
New sensation - Inxs
Fortunate Son - Creedance
Sting me - Black Crowes
Cocaine - Eric Clapton version
Cuts like a knife - Bryan Adams
Purple Ran - Prince
Rocks off - Primal Scream?
Vertigo - U2
Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
Changing man - Paul Weller (although I'm told it wasn't, but was 'something else from that album' - Stanley Road)
Waiting for the bus - ZZ Top (but it may have been something else from the pre MTV days - La Grange maybe?)
Back in the USSR/Live and Let die - Beatles/McCartney

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1437588646' post='2827378']
Conferred with my drinking partner, and we have (mostly) agreed on the following. I was jet lagged, and we had a few more beers than is my usual, so the end of the evening is a bit more hazy than normal.

It helped enormously that they had a keys player, as a lot of this would be hard with just 2 guitars I think. I've certainly never heard Alanis Morissette's 'You oughta know' sung by a bloke before, and with no change to the lyric! That said, and as has been discussed on here many times, how many people actually listen to the words?

Not in set list order...................

Run with the pack - Bad Company
Don't do it - The Band
New sensation - Inxs
Fortunate Son - Creedance
Sting me - Black Crowes
Cocaine - Eric Clapton version
Cuts like a knife - Bryan Adams
Purple Ran - Prince
Rocks off - Primal Scream?
Vertigo - U2
Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
Changing man - Paul Weller (although I'm told it wasn't, but was 'something else from that album' - Stanley Road)
Waiting for the bus - ZZ Top (but it may have been something else from the pre MTV days - La Grange maybe?)
Back in the USSR/Live and Let die - Beatles/McCartney
[/quote]Absolutely nothing wrong with that set list. And I guess very entertaining.

I started a thread around Christmas time to try and find the most popular tunes in our combined setlists.

There was some overlap with some bands playing 4 or 5 of the same tunes. There were over 100tunes in the combined list.

I think we all get a bit confused as to which tunes exactly they are that everyone is playing. Aside from maybe 5 tunes. Mustang Sally is NOT on out setlist.

We work on a two for the punters, one for us, basis. We also make sure that when we play the 'one for us' it's a very well known number but obscure.

We get comments from people who like it that we play different numbers. We even have two originals written by the guitarist that people actually get up and dance to.

Give the audience what they want and ask for but don't be afraid to throw in the occasional number and watch the reaction. Play it with a positive attitude and it's surprising how well you'll pull off a gig.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1437588324' post='2827371']
disagreeing in a polite and respectful way is fine, its when it gets aggressive and nasty, and the same point is made over and over again
[/quote]

The reality is if people consistently and tenaciously stand their ground and won't be intimidated or browbeaten by others, then they are just labelled as aggressive, nasty, defensive etc.

The real problem is that people are quick to make sweeping and often provocative statements and are then dismayed when other people react against them.

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437728292' post='2828503']

So I should just let people make a point and eschew my right to reply?
[/quote]

No. Just take the high ground. There's a general undercurrent amongst 'proper' musicians that pub bands are just a bunch of lazy has beens going through the motions. Just ignore it. They're either trolling, bitter or jealous. It may stem from the erosion of well paying pub gigs.

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437728292' post='2828503']
So I should just let people make a point and eschew my right to reply?
[/quote]
I wasn't speaking specifically to you, I was addressing the whole seemingly interminable side-argument of what constitues a disagreement and whether or not something is rude etc etc etc etc. You've had the last word on the subject, twice now in fact, can we please just let the whole thing go now and get back to the set lists?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1437729302' post='2828515']
No. Just take the high ground. There's a general undercurrent amongst 'proper' musicians that pub bands are just a bunch of lazy has beens going through the motions. Just ignore it. They're either trolling, bitter or jealous. It may stem from the erosion of well paying pub gigs.
[/quote]

Hi Tim. Your point is well made and in fact my Mrs asked me why I was so worried about words on a screen from people I don't even know, never mind care about! But I'm afraid that if someone makes a point which is relevant to me, or I perceive is aimed at me, and I don't reply, I feel that I have give my tacit acceptance which I simply can't do if I don't agree with said point. My Mrs has an alternative theory which is ..I am a paddy, (Irish ancestry), and a Millwall supporter so belligerent is my default mode. She may be right.

One point on this topic which I never put across because of all the distractions is that I play music for a living. I have no other source of income. Gigs pay my rent and feed my kids etc I do not therefore have the luxury of [i][b]educating[/b][/i] people. I need to play things that attract people to the venue, keep them there and keep them dancing and keep them buying drinks so that the venue makes money and keep asking me back.

I'd love to play my own personal favourites which would be an eclectic mix of pop/rock/funk/soul/reggae/country/folk and ...whisper it softly...jazz standards, but it simply wouldn't pay the bills.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1437735128' post='2828589']
I wasn't speaking specifically to you, I was addressing the whole seemingly interminable side-argument of what constitues a disagreement and whether or not something is rude etc etc etc etc. You've had the last word on the subject, twice now in fact, can we please just let the whole thing go now and get back to the set lists?
[/quote]

So in fact you are addressing me. Make your mind up mate!

some bands need to do the same old stuff. This might be because of the venues they play and their clientèle or landlord/ladys. This could be dictated by the location of the band and their willingness to travel. It could be dictated by how well the band promote themselves and in what way. It may be because of the nature of the show they put on.

However, it's a fact that originals bands can, and do, entertain a room full of people, and get paid for doing so.

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437735910' post='2828600']
One point on this topic which I never put across because of all the distractions is that I play music for a living. I have no other source of income. Gigs pay my rent and feed my kids etc I do not therefore have the luxury of [i][b]educating[/b][/i] people. I need to play things that attract people to the venue, keep them there and keep them dancing and keep them buying drinks so that the venue makes money and keep asking me back.
I'd love to play my own personal favourites which would be an eclectic mix of pop/rock/funk/soul/reggae/country/folk and ...whisper it softly...jazz standards, but it simply wouldn't pay the bills.
[/quote]
It's a difficult balancing act between 'giving the people what they want' (and so many of them seem to love M*st*ng S*lly, bless 'em) and playing what really floats one's boat. The latter is probably easier to achieve if one is for example a jazz musician playing jazz to a jazz audience. Or indeed in a metal band playing metal to an exclusively metal loving crowd. But for a breadwinning pub/club muso, there will always be the spectre of "play something we know"...

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1437736750' post='2828616']
It's a difficult balancing act between 'giving the people what they want' (and so many of them seem to love M*st*ng S*lly, bless 'em) and playing what really floats one's boat. The latter is probably easier to achieve if one is for example a jazz musician playing jazz to a jazz audience. Or indeed in a metal band playing metal to an exclusively metal loving crowd. But for a breadwinning pub/club muso, there will always be the spectre of "play something we know"...
[/quote]

Indeed...welcome to my life.