Why become a member? ×

Getting ahead of ourselves

Nicko

Off the top of his head, our vocalist had started paying a professional graphic designer to design a band logo. I guess it will come in useful when we get going properly.but it seems a bit extreme for a band that only played one gig and a few open mic nights so far.

Although he's offered to pay for the work I feel like this means I have limited say in the results and so far I'm not keen. It all looks a bit kind of 80s death metal to me. And we're definitely not that!

Sorry I cant post the drafts as we don't officially "own" them.

Although a logo would be handy for the website, the website is so far not up and running so I think the priorities are all wrong here.

I would see as I sign that he is really excited about the band to be honest.

Personally I think its 10x better to have someone like that who goes and gets things done compared to the guys who don't make any effort at all.

I have recently left a band where all the other members made absoultely no effort for the band so I dont see it as a bad thing!

Back in the day we had the use of a brilliant cartoon artist to do all our posters & artwork - did it all for free too. It was awesome! We may or may not have been the best band in the area (Northants), but we were sure as hell the best advertised. :)

To respond directly to the OP - don't worry about it.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1437395301' post='2825561']Although he's offered to pay for the work I feel like this means I have limited say in the results and so far I'm not keen. It all looks a bit kind of 80s death metal to me. And we're definitely not that![/quote]

If you told him you didn't like it and it's not being edited or discussed then I'd see that as an indication of who sees theirself more as controlling of the band. Other than that, see it as a bonus.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1437395648' post='2825567']
Personally I think its 10x better to have someone like that who goes and gets things done compared to the guys who don't make any effort at all.
[/quote]

+1

Every band needs at least one do-er. Without them the band goes nowhere and interest wains. As someone who is a do-er in a band it's really frustrating when others show little or no enthusiasm for progress. If you have feelings about the logo let them be known but remember that a do-er will want feedback swiftly so he / she can keep the momentum going so don't leave it three weeks before letting them know you don't like it and then be surprised if he / she starts to get frustrated.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1437395648' post='2825567']
I have recently left a band where all the other members made absolutely no effort ...
[/quote]

Tell me about it! To the OP - I see where you're coming from, but don't worry about it, let him do what he likes.
At this stage hardly anyone will see it anyway - and if you get successful, the marketing will be taken out of your hands for sure. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1437399358' post='2825617']
+1

Every band needs at least one do-er. Without them the band goes nowhere and interest wains. As someone who is a do-er in a band it's really frustrating when others show little or no enthusiasm for progress. If you have feelings about the logo let them be known but remember that a do-er will want feedback swiftly so he / she can keep the momentum going so don't leave it three weeks before letting them know you don't like it and then be surprised if he / she starts to get frustrated.
[/quote]

Oh, I think he received the feedback loud and clear (I actually had to tell him I din't say "I F**** hate it" - rather than my more polite and uncharacteristically restrained "I don't really like any of them" - I was "outvoted" by the rest of the band. That's fair enough. I agree every band needs a doer, but sometimes they need to understand what needs doing.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1437400901' post='2825644']
Oh, I think he received the feedback loud and clear (I actually had to tell him I din't say "I F**** hate it" - rather than my more polite and uncharacteristically restrained "I don't really like any of them" - I was "outvoted" by the rest of the band. That's fair enough. I agree every band needs a doer, but sometimes they need to understand what needs doing.
[/quote]
Maybe a band meeting to form a to do list? Once he has that he can keep the progress going and in a more productive way.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1437402483' post='2825669']
Our guitarist created these band logos for our fb page and twitter feed.

I was very pleased with them and they cost nowt :)
[/quote]
The 2nd one is particularly cool. Like it.

To the OP; do you have a Facebook band page yet? I'd be inclined to get that sorted first so you have an online presence and you've chance to establish the name of your band (which might even involve staking a claim to the name before anyone else decides to use it). With a Facebook page you could then hopefully gather a few followers and ask for feedback from your 'fans' as to which of the logos looks good and best represents you?

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1437407174' post='2825723']
To the OP; do you have a Facebook band page yet? I'd be inclined to get that sorted first so you have an online presence and you've chance to establish the name of your band (which might even involve staking a claim to the name before anyone else decides to use it). With a Facebook page you could then hopefully gather a few followers and ask for feedback from your 'fans' as to which of the logos looks good and best represents you?
[/quote]

Agreed +1 👍

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437396556' post='2825578']
Band logo's are a bit of a thing of the past arent they?

it's a long time since I was scrawling Emperor and Mayhem onto my school text books...
[/quote]

That would be a great thing to do, if I could actually draw Emperor's and Mayhem's logo of course...

OT: Sounds like you've got someone who's keen about this band idea. That's a good sign.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437396556' post='2825578']
Band logo's are a bit of a thing of the past arent they?

it's a long time since I was scrawling Emperor and Mayhem onto my school text books...
[/quote]

As it happens I was listening to Deathcrush and In The Nightside Eclipse at work this morning, alongside some other early 90s BM :lol:

Any band logo represents you all - not just the person who had the idea. Therefore you should all agree on it - or at least the majority. Inevitably there will be someone who is not as keen as the others, but democracy should win out. But fair play to the guy for getting the ball rolling - just have to make sure he doesn`t start putting stuff up online without the rest of you agreeing. That way leads to problems, trust me, I`ve worked with those sort of people. I would get all of the rest of the band to view their ideas on logos, so said designer has a go at everyones ideas. Then choose what you all like.

Thing about logos though - in most cases the artwork takes precedence over the band name. See it on a flyer on the floor and only the image is able to be seen. Great if you`re well known - if you`re not, well then the band name needs to be fackoffbig so people know what it`s about.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1437407174' post='2825723']
[/quote]
Yes we do and thats kind of my point. The content could do with a major workover.In particular we need to get some studio recordings done to include on it. As far as I'm concerned everything else is window dressing. Of the stuff we've previously recorded (different members and/or different songs) I'm surprised at just how flippin fantastic we sound. Sound clips will sell us better than any logo could ever do.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1437412617' post='2825782']
Logos are a great idea. If you are ever on a multi band gig the posters will need a logo as the space you will get on a poster will be too small for a photo.
Look at any festival posters. They all use the bands logos
[/quote]

+1!!!

On a boring practical note, can I point out that it's really important that when you pay the guy for the logo, it's for ownership of the rights as well as the artistic work. If you don't square that off, he can wait until it's a really important part of your brand and then push to be paid for every time you use it. Get it in writing as part of the deal would be my recommendation.

Edited by The Admiral