Why become a member? ×

EA Wizzy versus Eden Wizzy

dove

Hi, looking at wizzy cabs for DB. Hoping someone might have some experience
with both Euphonics Audio and Eden 10" cabs. The Eden seems to be a cheaper version
of the EA ,half the price or less. Tempting but what's the real difference?

many thanks

Not much help with DB I'm afraid, but I have had both for electric bass and the wizzy is lighter, louder and sounds better. But it is much more expensive...

The Eden wasn't a bad cab by any means. It did have some low bass extension but at volume it was a little honky.

One quick side note on the EA wizzy cabs is that the 12" Mline is far superior for upright than their regular 12" wizzy IMO. I've got both and the regular is a great cab, but it's all about the Mline for me and I'm sure the Eden wouldn't be comparable due to the difference in cabinets. The Mline has some crazy porting.

I've also heard great reports of the crazy 8 and would love to try one.

Edited by geoffbassist

.[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1437812261' post='2829177']
One quick side note on the EA wizzy cabs is that the 12" Mline is far superior for upright than their regular 12" wizzy IMO. I've got both and the regular is a great cab, but it's all about the Mline for me and I'm sure the Eden wouldn't be comparable due to the difference in cabinets. The Mline has some crazy porting.

I've also heard great reports of the crazy 8 and would love to try one.
[/quote]

Thanks for that Geoff ,after some of my own research I have come round to the Mline 12"as you say. I recently bought a AI coda series4 which sounds great but I need more volume/power. I was thinking of buying an EA wizzy 12 Mline 4ohm version. I figure that with the AI combo sat on top this would give more watts although I may be making a mistake mixing ohms like this .I realise the wizzy would be doing more work than the AI cab but this may not be a bad thing.The AI cab to me is only usable for acoustic gigs without a drummer,it sounds sweet at half volume but struggles as you turn it up.I could then add a second EA wizzy 12 4ohm and just use the AI head for bigger gigs as the AI should deliver 650 watts into 2 ohms (i.e. 2x 4ohm EA wizzys).This would in effect give me three setups.Having said all that I open to any advice on offer. I bought the AI combo rates at 350 watts but it sure don't feel like it at a gig,I have been using a PJB flight case rated at 150 watts and there not much between them…..!!!
I'm also not sure whether the AI speaker outputs are series or parallel or what difference this would make…..???

AS for the crazy 8,looks interesting but would really want to try first,most reviews seem to be from builders rather than users!

[quote name='dove' timestamp='1437816402' post='2829215']
AS for the crazy 8,looks interesting but would really want to try first,most reviews seem to be from builders rather than users!
[/quote]
I had two Wizzy 10's but I was never happy with the sound unless at very low volume.
The Eden might be worth a punt if you could return it.
I like 8" speakers, having owned a SWR 2x8 which was superb, even with low B string, an Ampeg 2x8 SVT100T combo, and currently I've got a Genz Benz Shuttle 3 8T
I also like Phil Jones cabs and cant't decide which I prefer yet, 8" or 5" but I'm considering trying the Faital Pro 8" that is used in the Crazy 8

[quote name='dove' timestamp='1437816402' post='2829215']

Thanks for that Geoff ,after some of my own research I have come round to the Mline 12"as you say. I recently bought a AI coda series4 which sounds great but I need more volume/power. I was thinking of buying an EA wizzy 12 Mline 4ohm version. I figure that with the AI combo sat on top this would give more watts although I may be making a mistake mixing ohms like this .I realise the wizzy would be doing more work than the AI cab but this may not be a bad thing.The AI cab to me is only usable for acoustic gigs without a drummer,it sounds sweet at half volume but struggles as you turn it up.I could then add a second EA wizzy 12 4ohm and just use the AI head for bigger gigs as the AI should deliver 650 watts into 2 ohms (i.e. 2x 4ohm EA wizzys).This would in effect give me three setups.Having said all that I open to any advice on offer. I bought the AI combo rates at 350 watts but it sure don't feel like it at a gig,I have been using a PJB flight case rated at 150 watts and there not much between them…..!!!
I'm also not sure whether the AI speaker outputs are series or parallel or what difference this would make…..???

[/quote]

I've got a regular 12 wizzy and the Mline with a series 3 Clarus and it works great at 2ohms. I run both cabs for electric bass function band work. For all upright gigs the Mline is always enough. The regular wizzy is a touch smaller/lighter and I use that on its own for small bass guitar gig, but it's the m line for all upright work.
I had the same experience with the AI speakers and 10" wizzy. It's such a shame EA don't do an 8 or 10" Mline cab as I would love a smaller cab for very small duo gigs etc.

Thanks for the comments guys. When you say "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]For all upright gigs the Mline is always enough" Geoff do you mean Mline 4ohm and just a Clarus head,or is the Clarus a combo?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I also like PJB 5" speakers and an alternative for me might be a Super Flightcase (300watts),same price as a pair [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]of wizzys, and I was pretty happy with my Fightcase (150watts) just needed more volume occasionally.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I don't play electric bass at all so my focus is on DB.[/font][/color]

[quote name='dove' timestamp='1437897070' post='2829744']
Thanks for the comments guys. When you say "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]For all upright gigs the Mline is always enough" Geoff do you mean Mline 4ohm and just a Clarus head,or is the Clarus a combo?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I also like PJB 5" speakers and an alternative for me might be a Super Flightcase (300watts),same price as a pair [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]of wizzys, and I was pretty happy with my Fightcase (150watts) just needed more volume occasionally.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I don't play electric bass at all so my focus is on DB.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

It's the single 12" 4ohm Wizzy Mline cab and the Clarus head. It's a really loud small rig and covers everything I do. I would just like a slightly smaller/lighter cab for drummerless gigs so the crazy 8 sounds like it's worth me checking out. I've also heard very good reports of the PJB gear so I would consider adding to that rig if it's working of you tone wise, I love the compact form.

The Crazy 8 is quite amazing. I used mine last Sunday with a gtr/DB/drums trio at Blenheim Palace in front of 140 diners. It coped under a Puma 500 very well with loads of bottom. I see that bass supremo Mike Arnopol who created the 8 has just come up with a 6" - the mind boggles. FYI, Geoff and others, I had a Phil Jones 4x4 and found it a bit 'taut' if that makes any sense.

This really is most helpful everyone so thanks again. I know exactly what you mean Bassace about the PJB being a bit "taut", it's what set me
looking at other amps although when the room booms it can be an advantage!
The crazy 8 may have to wait for the moment,I have a week of gigs at Broadstairs in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to get organised for that
so not enough time !
I'm going to take a run up the bass direct armed with a little more information now where I can try some of these options,in the meantime
I shall be working on my sound the alternative an most important way…..practicing!!

thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1440435306' post='2850709']
Hey Geoff what is the difference between the normal 12"Wizzy and the Mline?

I've got a Wizzy 10" with an EA Doubler for double bass. I really like the sound. Its nice and punchy.
[/quote]

The Mline has a slightly larger enclosure and is different porting. It's got side vents and it makes a big difference, it's a lot softer and less mid focused than the regular 12. That's still a great cab, but I find the Mline really suits acoustic instruments. I would LOVE a 10" or 8"Mline for smaller gigs!

Edited by geoffbassist

As an electric only player, I did go down the 2 x 12" Mline route, so i would have a flexible rig for big band jazz and function band gigs. As Geoff is suggesting I found 2 x 12" Mline OTT for function band as at volume the bass was too pronounced I couldn't get away from it or EQ it out. mine were both 8ohm. I love just the one for jazz low volume but now have 2x12 Berg for function band gigs.
so to sum up the porting works as designed to allow a small combo to hear the acoustic bass at low volume but not recommended for electric high volume gigs, Geoff may get away with this as only one is Mline. hope this is useful

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1440449033' post='2850908']
As an electric only player, I did go down the 2 x 12" Mline route, so i would have a flexible rig for big band jazz and function band gigs. As Geoff is suggesting I found 2 x 12" Mline OTT for function band as at volume the bass was too pronounced I couldn't get away from it or EQ it out. mine were both 8ohm. I love just the one for jazz low volume but now have 2x12 Berg for function band gigs.
so to sum up the porting works as designed to allow a small combo to hear the acoustic bass at low volume but not recommended for electric high volume gigs, Geoff may get away with this as only one is Mline. hope this is useful
[/quote]

I agree with this and I would love a 2x12 berg for function work on bass guitar.