Why become a member? ×

Who plays in a Country band?

paul h

As fickle as I am my most recent idea is to join a country covers band. Mainly as an excuse to wear my cowboy hat :D

Who here plays country? Just looking for info about ease of finding gigs...types of venues...size of crowds...money to be made...setlist tips...and just general experiences and information.

My goal would be to play less gigs than your average pub rock band...but to play at better venues, paying better money. How achievable is this goal?

Any info that you can share will be gratefully received.

:)

I play in a country-rock band,mainly playing originals and some covers fron the Nashville show.
I have found that a lot of country songs are upbeat and contain humour which makes the band grin,which means the audience see people enjoy themselve so they enjoy themselves in turn.
We have only done 4 gigs this year. has been a paying gig,and at the rest either food or drink were provided gratis!On the strength of this we are being paid to play at a beer festival,and may be playing on New Years Eve.
Advice wise,I would say keep it simple (R&5 lines,and learn to damp!),keep it upbeat and enjoy.
There are Country clubs nationwide,but we have avoided these as we do not look country,we just play it.From what I have seen,these clubs want the look and the classic sound,so if you are going for modern country or self-penned stuff they probably would'nt be interested.
Get into a band,PM me,and perhaps we could join forces on a gig!
All the best.

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1437314216' post='2825015']
Get into a band,PM me,and perhaps we could join forces on a gig!
All the best.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info...and that sounds like a plan! :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1437314912' post='2825019']
Unfortunately, in the UK the country scene also means line dancing, people dressing up as Injuns, and carrying toy guns. It's a shame.
[/quote]

Oh dear. I would find that totally soul destroying in the same way that I hate that middle aged drunk bloke who dad dances through dodgy rock covers gigs :(

I have run a country trio on the UK circuit for the last 4 years. To put it mildly, they are a funny lot!

Most clubs are run by enthusiastic amateurs. They typically hire a village hall or social club for the evening, and charge about £6 per head on the door. Organisers are usually good at looking after performers, laying on tea and coffee, and sometimes cold food.

There are various tendencies. Most clubs comprise of a mixture of listeners and dancers, but you need to make sure all your material can be danced to. Some clubs are heavily into line dancing, and these don't mind so much what you play, as long as there is a strong beat to latch onto. Others like to dress up in 19th century American style, though I have no idea how this is connected to 20th century electrified folk music! The more traditional-minded clubs, or those with small dance floors, tend to prohibit line dancing, or sometimes even partner dancing.

There are also various festivals (some with camping, others in hotels) which are good to get yourself better known once you have got your act together.

The bad news is the prevalence of solo and duo acts, with backing tracks, which makes it difficult for actual live bands to break into the market and get decent-paying gigs.

Most clubs publish their contact details and upcoming shows in [url="http://www.crosscountrymagazine.co.uk/"]Cross Country[/url] magazine, where clubs and live acts also get reviewed. To Paul H - follow the link and you can download a free preview copy.

Hope this all helps!

Oh, and here's my band diamonds & Dirt at a club near Bristol, with yours truly on guitar and vocals:

[media]http://youtu.be/IXcQaLqXkWw[/media]

Edited by JapanAxe

Great info and video JA! Much appreciated :)

Well, all very useful and positive stuff so far. I'm still keen on the idea. Personally I always think a band with a theme is an easier sell than the usual "bit of everything, really" route.

Thanks again for all the info :)

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1437321596' post='2825064']
I'm still keen on the idea. Personally I always think a band with a theme is an easier sell than the usual "bit of everything, really" route.

Thanks again for all the info :)
[/quote]

Just make sure you can play both kinds of music. ;)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1437325149' post='2825090']
Here's us at a country festival a few years back. Note the hats in the audience.

This is nothing compared to the country festival we did at Skeggy around the time. Just.. unbelievable.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feSBUWJLBbk[/media]
[/quote]

Great performance!

'Unbelievable' - in what way!?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1437325548' post='2825095']
Great performance!

'Unbelievable' - in what way!?
[/quote]

One word: Trilogy.

A mainstay of these festivals, and example of which is below.

The first time I saw one of these, I couldn't stand up for laughing. It didn't go down well with the regulars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3KyZpbKn-8

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1437325807' post='2825098']
One word: Trilogy.

A mainstay of these festivals, and example of which is below.

The first time I saw one of these, I couldn't stand up for laughing. It didn't go down well with the regulars.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3KyZpbKn-8[/media]
[/quote]

They do take it very seriously, although it beats me what it's all about! We actually perform the Trilogy live, somewhere between Mickey Newbury's version and Elvis's. It's quite a moving song, combining music from both sides in the civil war plus an African-American 'spiritual'. Sadly, I think all the faffing around with flags and hats somewhat detracts from its impact.

As request by the OP, our last set list. Unusually we split the songs between traditional (Set 1) and modern (Set 2):

Set 1
[b]Jambalaya[/b] Hank Williams
[b]I'm a Lonesome Fugitive[/b] Merle Haggard
[b]Good Hearted Woman[/b] Waylon Jennings
[b]You're My Best Friend[/b] Don Williams
[b]Drinkin’ and Dreamin’[/b] Waylon Jennings
[b]Walkin' After Midnight[/b] Patsy Cline
[b]Hey Good Lookin’[/b] Hank Williams
[b]Mama Tried[/b] Merle Haggard
[b]Ghost Riders[/b] Ventures
[b]Folsom Prison Blues[/b] Johnny Cash
[b]Always On My Mind[/b] Willie Nelson
[b]On The Road Again[/b] Willie Nelson
[b]Ring Of Fire[/b] Johnny Cash
[b]The Gambler[/b] Kenny Rogers
[b]Your Cheatin’ Heart[/b] Hank Williams
[b]Six Days On The Road[/b] Dave Dudley
[b]Hello Mary Lou[/b] Ricky Nelson
[b]Wild Side of Life[/b] Hank Thompson
[b]Bad Moon Rising[/b] Creedence
[b]Cocaine Blues[/b] Johnny Cash

Set 2
[b]All You Ever Do[/b] Mavericks
[b]All My Ex’s Live in Texas[/b] George Strait
[b]Suds in the Bucket[/b] Sara Evans
[b]Forever and Ever[/b] Randy Travis
[b]Wrapped Around[/b] Brad Paisley
[b]If Tomorrow Never Comes[/b] Garth Brooks
[b]Here In The Real World[/b] Alan Jackson
[b]Highway Patrol[/b] Junior Brown
[b]Peaceful Easy Feeling[/b] Eagles
[b]The Cowboy Rides Away[/b] George Strait
[b]Call Me The Breeze[/b] JJ Cale
[b]Boot Scootin' Boogie[/b] Brooks & Dunn
[b]The Bug[/b] Dire Straits / MCC
[b]When You Say Nothing[/b] Alison Krauss
[b]People Are Crazy[/b] Billy Currington
[b]Guitars Cadillacs[/b] Dwight Yoakam
[b]These Boots[/b] Billy Ray Cyrus
[b]Dance the Night Away[/b] Mavericks
[b]Don’t Rock the Jukebox[/b] Alan Jackson
[b]Two More Bottles of Wine[/b] Emmylou Harris

Edited by JapanAxe

I play a weekly Thursday night residency in my band The Fork Handles at The Railway pub, Cottingham (near Hull).
We've been there for over 7 years now, and have a solid regular crowd as well as newbies coming in each week.
They are very receptive to pretty much anything we play, from old western swing stuff right through to recent
material by Eric Church etc. All cover tunes at the moment, although plans are to include some self penned stuff
in the not too distant future. We have amassed a vast pad of material, which helps in keeping things varied
when playing to a regular bunch of punters.
I am fortunate in being able to play with great musicians in this outfit, including a wonderful guitar player and
pianist who front the band. We seem to get a largely middle aged crowd, but some younger ones too who hopefully
have realised how wide the term 'country' can be. Having played for years in bars, I must agree with previous
comment above about how enjoyable it is to play to an appreciative audience who are n't off their heads. (The
pub serves a good range of real ales which the punters enjoy though, so it is always lively!)

I'd love to be a country/americana band... if only I could find a girl to sing like Wynonna, Martina McB, Shelby Lynne..or rather who looked like her :lol:

I think it could be a real kick **** band and get lots of work.

It is a project on the back burner for now..

JapanAxe,it's great to hear a cover of Highway Patrol.
Do you think you could do Sugarfoot Rag ;) !
My lot(Contraband) do NOT do the whole stetson 'n' boots stuff.Stage dress is black for us,sparkly for our singer.
We are working on harmonies at the moment,but it's hard work.
I agree with previous comments that folk will dance to it if it has a good beat,but add that the whole tune needs to be upbeat.
As casapete said,country is a broad church covering rhinestones and stetsons all the way up to rock with a banjo!
There seems to be room for lots of acts.
Perhaps a BC Countryfest should be on the cards!

Edited by lee4

One of the bands I'm in is a "country" band. I recognize a lot of the songs on the set list provided by JapanAxe. The primary focus for any new country song to be considered for the set list is: "Is it danceable?" Over the years, I've managed to "broaden" the sound of the band with a few of my tunes which are most denfinitely NOT country. lol But, still, the question for any song to be introduced always is: "Is it danceable?" If it is, the folks will happily pay their cover, dance the night away, consume unbelievable amounts of alcohol, and leave the club feeling that they really had a good time. This makes the band and the club owners quite happy, too! I have two other bands for doing the hard-driving, the technically challenging, or the "respectable" stuff. lol