Why become a member? ×

Two Bass Gig Bags - Any good or just too heavy?

CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437462753' post='2826094']
Yeah I saw those Fusion ones, that's what prompted this thread, they look enormous!

They also look a bit high, I'm 6'1 and I'd be hitting bus shelters etc.

..maybe it's easier to just buy a car and be done with it.
[/quote]

Purpose-built for identical twins with a total of four basses to carry?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437462753' post='2826094']
Yeah I saw those Fusion ones, that's what prompted this thread, they look enormous!

They also look a bit high, I'm 6'1 and I'd be hitting bus shelters etc.

..maybe it's easier to just buy a car and be done with it.
[/quote]

They might look a bit high however, if you can imagine the butt end of the bass hanging much lower with a weight of 22lbs, you'd want that weight nearer the lumbar so that it's controlled better by the straps rather than flapping about and hitting your legs.

I've got a custom leather bag from Pro Bag that hangs a lot lower, fine for one bass in my opinion, and they make double bags.
http://www.probagg.com/

As I said, I've got a couple of F1s and the leather Pro bag, you're more than welcome to come check them out if it'd help. I'm in sunny South Croydon, 3 mins walk from Sanderstead train station.

Eude

• 4 years later...

Reviving an old thread to see what this communities current thoughts are on good choices for dual bass gig bags. 

I won't be carrying it far, just too and from the car really, so portability / weight not the primary concern here.

The Fusion looks great, but spends.  The mono m80 dual even more so.  Has anyone tried the Gator Pro ?  Any other recommendations?

8 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Reviving an old thread to see what this communities current thoughts are on good choices for dual bass gig bags. 

I won't be carrying it far, just too and from the car really, so portability / weight not the primary concern here.

The Fusion looks great, but spends.  The mono m80 dual even more so.  Has anyone tried the Gator Pro ?  Any other recommendations?

In that situation, so long as both your bases fit in the case it really doesn't matter which one you get. The cheapest will do the job just as well.

I have the Gator Pro and I love it. its really well padded and hardwearing, with lots of storage don't use the shoulder straps, I just use it for carrying from house to car to venue. I used to use two bags but I much prefer this solution.  If I were travelling on the tube I might not want be carrying this on my back, but then again, I wouldn't want to be carrying two gig bags either. 

I have had a Mono M80 double for years, it has endured countless gigs and still has very limited signs of use and protected my basses against quite a few bumps and (small) drops.. cannot say lower priced once wouldn't do the job but I will probably be buried with my M80s (I have single and doubles).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have the M80 double and it comfortably takes two, heavy 5 strings but it weighs a ton when loaded, although I only ever carry it from the car into a venue. Not sure I would want to subject the carry handle to that load for any length of time but it is well attached and seems up to the job and there's always the shoulder straps, although I still wouldn't want to walk too far. I think it would be a struggle on public transport. Very well made and protects both basses admirably. Makes packing the car a little trickier, it's easier to fit two single cases than one, massive double case but never had any real problem. Easy to access either bass singularly or have both sides open to access either bass quickly. One point to note, I have also used an M80 single regularly for about 5 years (depends on the kind of gig I'm doing) and the internal padding around the bridge end of the bass has all but given up the ghost. I've had to put my own padding in otherwise there is very little between the strap button and whatever surface it comes into contact with. Overall, very happy with both M80s.

Another vote for the Gear 4 Music double case. I would be reticent to wear it on my back, as it does seem to tower above me, but the handles seem pretty sturdy. It gets used regularly, but (like a few people on this thread) it only goes from my house to the car and then to the venue/rehearsal room. I've been using mine for over two years and it looks as good as new. Padding is decent and offers good protection. For transportation, I find the best place for it is in the footwell of the back seats of the car, on its side. I can then move the seats forward to almost but not quite touch it and load around it. I'd think twice about carrying it for a long distance, or on public transport, but for my needs, it's perfect. And affordable. 

On 15/10/2019 at 09:16, HazBeen said:

I have had a Mono M80 double for years, it has endured countless gigs and still has very limited signs of use and protected my basses against quite a few bumps and (small) drops.. cannot say lower priced once wouldn't do the job but I will probably be buried with my M80s (I have single and doubles).

This. All of it.