Why become a member? ×

Two Bass Gig Bags - Any good or just too heavy?

CamdenRob

As the title really...

Anyone regularly travel around with a two bass gigbag on their back?

If possible i'd very much like to take fretted and fretless basses to gigs / rehearsals but those dual bags just look massive and I assume they would be impractically heavy?

Edited by CamdenRob

"Take 2 bags to the gig?....Not me, I just wash & go!"

Seriously though, I've checked out the Mono M80 double version and it's bl**dy massive so I can imagine seriously weighty with 2 basses inside! I can, however vouch for the quality of Mono bags as I use the Vertigo (single) bass bag!

I think Thomann do a double bag too!

I've got the Mono (well, actually two of them) and although a little bulky, they're not significantly heavier than the single ones.

Most of the weight is obviously down to the basses you carry, but the shoulder straps and padding make the gigbag relatively easy to carry around.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1437140034' post='2823953']
I've got the Mono (well, actually two of them) and although a little bulky, they're not significantly heavier than the single ones.

Most of the weight is obviously down to the basses you carry, but the shoulder straps and padding make the gigbag relatively easy to carry around.
[/quote]

I have a standard M80 so I've been looking at the dual M80 as an option... Have you ever negotiated the tube with it?

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1437142271' post='2823988']
A couple of times. I've also walked a good mile or so with it with no strain. Mine with 2 basses and a couple of straps in the pocket is about 15" deep at the widest point, so not a huge amount more than a relatively full rucksack/laptop bag
[/quote]

Thanks for that, that's encourging news... maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

I had a Mono dual bass gig-bag but I found it too heavy and bulky. The idea was to reduce the trips from the car, but in the end I sacrificed that consideration and bought an ABS flight case (for 1 bass). If I need to take 2 basses, I have a Hiscox case.

Same here, wouldn't be without it. Yes it is a little bulky, like any double bag is, I walk with it regularly with 2 basses and a pedaltrain, absolutely fine.

I used to own a Rockbag Double Bag, very good for the money but not close to the M80.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1437140034' post='2823953']

[/quote]

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1437136767' post='2823902']
I used to use one and they do get heavy, but, more importantly, they're super bulky when packing into a car, more than 2 standard gig bags combined.
[/quote]
This, I found that just because I could, didn't mean I should!

I have one of these Harvest Two bass leather gig bags and they are quite heavy even without basses in. My basses are around 12.5lbs so with two it is quite a significant weight. But for me it's not a great problem once it's on my shoulders, and to be honest I rarely carry two basses to a gig anyway and when I did, carrying two separate cases is more of a headache than a heavy gig bag with two in. Usually though i carry one bass to a gig and the other compartment holds my clothes and other things I may need.
[url="http://www.harvest-guitar.com/en/Bass-Bags-For-Two/"]http://www.harvest-g...s-Bags-For-Two/[/url]

Edited by jazzyvee

I've used a double gig bag for years now, they're less bulky than two separate gig bags, and with two of my basses (I don't play anything over 9lbs) in is an easy one hand carry. Mine's a Warwick, which has stood up to lots and lots of gigs in the back of car and van, although I'd like a Mono double.

I'd say they're not as heavy or bulky as two gig bags of comparable protection.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1437380107' post='2825335']
Well, it's a no-brainer - you'll be carrying both at once, so if you can carry both basses in one hand in two cases at the moment, then both basses in one case will be no worse. :D
[/quote]

it's new situation... I don't take two basses at the moment I've just been thinking of ways I could do it. I've been considering taking both basses in flightcases on a trolly but that would be a nightmare with busy tubes / busses.

This is only for smaller gigs anyway, the biggers ones always have full PA support so I just DI or I take my main rig in the van so an extra case is no big deal.

Sounds like it'll be worth a go - you could try a dry run: put both basses in gig bags (if you have two), have a crack at carrying them round in one hand...take them to the shops on the bus... :D

I've got an old Levy's canvas double bag - not much bigger than the single version and works fine. But if both basses are a bit heavy it can be a bit much on the shoulders, so I just carry it in one hand. The only thing I'd add to previous comments is the extra weight makes it more important to buy a good quality version - straps and stiching all get a bit more strain, and the padding needs to be decent with more weight in the bag.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1437386431' post='2825431']
The only thing I'd add to previous comments is the extra weight makes it more important to buy a good quality version - straps and stiching all get a bit more strain, and the padding needs to be decent with more weight in the bag.
[/quote]

I was looking at the M80 or similar of decent quality... It'll have to be good for me to even consider it, I don't want my two basses breaking free and ending up under a tube :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

I've got a couple of Fusion F1 bags and they are lovely!
They make a newer version now which comes in a 2 bass flavour >> http://www.fusion-bags.com/collections/guitar-gig-bags/products/fg-double-electric-bass-guitar-gig-bag
2 bass of 11 lbs each is going to be quite a test, but if you make sure and set all the straps, lumbar etc correctly, I'm sure you'll be fine, if a little less popular on public transport ;)

Eude

I regularly use an iGig double bag. However it always goes in a car or the van.

It's a great bag but it is rather weighty with two basses - the one time I had to carry it fully loaded on my back was rather heavy going and I wouldn't attempt to use public transport with it to be honest...

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1437407522' post='2825729']
I've got a couple of Fusion F1 bags and they are lovely!
They make a newer version now which comes in a 2 bass flavour >> [url="http://www.fusion-bags.com/collections/guitar-gig-bags/products/fg-double-electric-bass-guitar-gig-bag"]http://www.fusion-ba...-guitar-gig-bag[/url]
2 bass of 11 lbs each is going to be quite a test, but if you make sure and set all the straps, lumbar etc correctly, I'm sure you'll be fine, if a little less popular on public transport ;)

Eude
[/quote]

Yeah I saw those Fusion ones, that's what prompted this thread, they look enormous!

They also look a bit high, I'm 6'1 and I'd be hitting bus shelters etc.

..maybe it's easier to just buy a car and be done with it.