Why become a member? ×

Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive mods.

ColinB

After doing [url="http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-org-workbench/103276-tech-pimp-your-ibanez-ts5-tubescreamer.html"]this[/url] mod to my Ibanez TS-5 'soundtank' overdrive, and loving it so much on bass, I thought I'd try the same sort of thing on my Joyo JF-01.

I found this scematic for the TS-5 online, and and then worked out which componants were mapped to which by following the traces on the JF-01:

I removed the equivalent diodes D2 and D3, the resistors R18 and R19, and the capacitor C10 from the Joyo circuit board.

Here they're labelled up as they would be according to the TS-5 schematic:

So I replaced R19 with a 10k ohm resistor, R18 with a 3.3k ohm, C10 with an 820nF ( or 0.82μF ) mylar cap, and D2 and D3 with a 3mm red LED and a 1N4002 (observing the polarities).

I had to solder in the capacitor on the underneath of the board due to size - but there's plenty of space to do that.

This makes it so much more useable as a drive pedal on bass. C10 allows more bass through, R18 and 19 allow the drive to be turned right down so the pedal can be used as a clean boost if so required, and the diode combination sound great. I tried a variety of different combinations, wired into micro switches to see which I preferred, and the LED/1N4002 was best.

Edited by ColinB
  • Thanks 1

That looks very very promising!!! I don't presume you made before/after clips, eh? :)

I have one of those but I'm not using it for bass because despite how nice it sounds, it just cuts too much low end for me to be able to use it unless it's permanently on and compensate with the amp controls...

I wish I were better with my hands for these sort of minute modifications as I'd love to make the Joyo useable for bass
Maybe one day I'll summon the courage needed! :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1437217796' post='2824473']

I have one of those but I'm not using it for bass because despite how nice it sounds, it just cuts too much low end for me to be able to use it unless it's permanently on and compensate with the amp controls...

[/quote]

Part of the way the standard TS works is to roll off lows. The R18/C10 takes the HP frequency lower.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1437218734' post='2824487']
Part of the way the standard TS works is to roll off lows. The R18/C10 takes the HP frequency lower.
[/quote]

so it's a design that was never really suited for bass then, eh? Not complaining, as it sounds lovely for guitar! Maybe part of the "tightening" the sound it does is through cutting some of the "flab".