Why become a member? ×

Quitting your job and going on tour

Weststarx

At 22 I'd say go for it. I did. I'm 40 now and still teaching / gigging / recording regularly. It's not an easy life though, and it helps if you have a support network around you, but be prepared to work very, very hard. You'll have some great gigs, and some where you feel like you're wasting your time, but even a bad gig is better than no gig.

Get regular exercise and eat well (as well as you can when you're playing away/on tour) though, it'll keep the energy levels up.

Good luck.

I left a steady job with a local newspaper when I was 35, ( with a wife, young daughter and a mortgage etc ) to join a function band,
and did n't regret it at all. Not exactly rock and roll I know, but bear with me.......
I left behind a company pension, car and a monthly salary for an uncertain future. Tried to do both initially, but soon realised it was going to have to be one or the other so I jumped.
Sure, the first year or so was scary, always wondering if there would be enough work coming in to pay thebills etc. I played / depped with anyone who asked, and soon realised that even playing some stuff I was n't wild about was infinitely better than clock watching
in a mundane 9 to 5 world. I was fortunate to have the support of family and friends too, although do remember the look of horror
on my parent's faces when I told them my plans!
Over 22 years later at the age of 57 I'm still earning a living from playing bass. Not a day goes by when I don't realise how lucky
I am / have been. Played throughout the UK, Europe and Morocco, with possible US work maybe next year too.
Been to some amazing places which I would never have managed had I not taken that risk.

At the age of 22 I'd say go for it!!
Good luck whatever you decide.

Edited by casapete

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1436876704' post='2821562']
I just want to feel like I'm living life rather than just excisting
[/quote]

Richard Briers' advice to budding actors was; "If you really want to be an actor, don't. If you really, really want to be an actor, don't. If you [i]need[/i] to be an actor, OK".

If you want to be a professional musician just to get away from a boring office job then you're not basing this decision on the right criteria.

I'm not sure what you think the life of a "professional" musician is, but if you think "existing" stops when you get your P45, you've made a big misjudgement.

Are you a very good musician, flexible with a great tone and ability? Do other people think you're as good as you do? What else do you bring? BV's, another instrument? Do you read? Are you regularly called up for deps and to join start ups? Have you got contacts? A lot of contacts, who are all working?

You don't have to look far to find fantastic musicians who are struggling to make a living.

Sorry, but I think you need a better office job.

I did just that 4 years ago, and I was 51. I have to say that I have a wonderfully supportive partner who accepts me earning very little money indeed. I wish I had done this at 22 and who know's where my life would have lead. Just go for it mate. As other contributors to this thread have suggested you can do music full time, for say 5 years, and if it doesn't work out you still have time to pursue a more stable career.

I also think you should be realistic with your expectations. I'm sure you want to be in a band that are globally popular but as long as you are making a reasonable living from doing what you love to do then that's good enough. To make a football analogy...of course you want to play for Man U, or Chelsea or Liverpool but if you end up playing for Gillingham, Exeter or Bury you have still been very lucky and very privileged.

Apart from that I give you a couple of very apt cliches...

You only get one go at life

Always regret what you did rather than what you didn't do.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Maybe another thing to think of. I spent a number of years touring around and playing numerous festivals on the continent. At all of these we were invariably supported by some band or other who would turn up in wonderfully appointed VW vans, haul out flightcases of brand new gear and - firstly - set up a merch stand and proceed to sell loads of stuff.

These bands are numerous and unknown but they ply a lucrative trade around the festivals of Europe. I reckon you can still make a good living without achieving anything like fame but still being very comfortable.

Seems to me there's two sides to this.

If you really, really hate your job you should quit it. I only ever got to this point once in my life when I just couldn't face getting up to go to work so I bailed. I left a job that paid me an obscene amount of money but gave me no life at all. I had no other job to go to. At the time future prospects were bleak. It didn't matter cos it felt right to do it.

If a career in music is really what you want explore the options and decide which is best for you. Then go for it.

But be clear what the question is. You should n't confuse desperation with your current job with aspiration for a musical career. If the prospect of quitting the job you hate and having no money coming in fills you with dread I suspect the leap of faith might be too great.

Maybe you should consider what you'd do if you didn't mind your current job.

Just do it.....x10. Whatever happens you'll have some great experiences to look back on, they don't come from a small office based life. If it doesn't work out go back to just earning a living but in your mind you'll know you tried. Don't die wondering what if. Opportunities in life only come your way if you're doing something that puts you in the way of them. It's what the cautious enviously call luck.

At 22 hell yeah go do it. I left a job in sainsbury's at 21 as a Jnr Manager. Everyone said I was nuts but i just decided I wanted to live in a party town in Greece. I booked a flight, got a job selling watersports on the beach and lived in a sh*t hole apartment. I just went with the flow over the next 10yrs and ended up doing some amazing jobs for various travel companies. At one point my life consisted of summers in Greece driving a luxury speedboat all day while wealthy people, largely pretty girls in bikinis drank champagne in the sun and winters in Colorado guiding snowboarders through back country off piste.
As a result I'm way more confident than I ever would have been and now run my own business.
Life's too short not to take a risk at 22.

I'm with the majority - your'e 22 its the perfect age to give something like this a go. The worst thing that's going to happen is you'll end up broke & having to go back to an office job a couple of years down the line.

One note of caution there will be a gap between leaving your job & the point where the music stuff starts paying where you have to support yourself so ideally try & make that gap as short as possible. ie. Don't leave the day job until the music stuff takes off.

I would add that in later life you tend to regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did, but in my case that isn't strictly true.

I'm surrounded by touring or 'tour grade' musicians. Most also have a day job, which if they are lucky is also music related. I am one of those.

Edited by dood

go for it, see where it leads, do it for as long as you can.... for my troubles, touring and recording has only ever been fairly significant financial outlay - due to:

a) travel costs (which you won't make back as 'warm-up' act), and
B ) buy-on fees, which almost always have to be paid to play with a 'named' band

What I saw was that it was very difficult for a new band to break through the live industry machine to become an act that actually generates income, there seemed like there was a "glass ceiling" between larger bands that got paid and smaller bands who effectively bank-roll the touring package :-)

Certainly great fun and wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but I am doubtful whether most 'smaller' bands ever make money on tour.... or maybe my old band just weren't very good... in which case someone should go tell them as they appear to still be at it, haha

Your experience may well vary, but my main point is that just become someone is touring doesn't mean they are making any money from it!

Edited by roman_sub

[quote name='urbanx' timestamp='1436952095' post='2822236']
How long is this tour?!
[/quote]

Reading the OP it would seem there isn't one (yet), the OP is postulating the wisdom (or otherwise) of quitting his day job to be a pro bass player. Or something like that, anyway. :)

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1436890533' post='2821778']
Seems to me there's two sides to this.

If you really, really hate your job you should quit it. I only ever got to this point once in my life when I just couldn't face getting up to go to work so I bailed. I left a job that paid me an obscene amount of money but gave me no life at all. I had no other job to go to. At the time future prospects were bleak. It didn't matter cos it felt right to do it.

If a career in music is really what you want explore the options and decide which is best for you. Then go for it.

But be clear what the question is. You should n't confuse desperation with your current job with aspiration for a musical career. If the prospect of quitting the job you hate and having no money coming in fills you with dread I suspect the leap of faith might be too great.

Maybe you should consider what you'd do if you didn't mind your current job.
[/quote]

Some wise words from Nicko here :)
If you really do hate your current dayjob,
find another one that you either don't hate so much, or even like!

Then save up a bit and plan for your musical adventure
But defo set some targets and go for it

Re my earlier post #19
I almost forgot, I do know of a wonderful violinist
She was a well paid accountant, but hated that career path

She loved violin, and opted to go back and study that instrument, and music, and get another degree!
She is now much shorter of cash than she was as an accountant,
but she's much happier earning less money, but doing that by her love of music :)

What helps her is that her husband earns a fairly decent full time wage
.... she supported him through college, while she was earning,
now he supports her when she's not earning much
She's lucky in that respect
But I admire her for chucking in a high earning job / career at a pivotal point in life...

If you don't go for it, as others say, you may regret that later in life
But make sure you've got a bit of cash behind you, for leaner months
and that you've got a good plan a and plan b

Again, good luck :)

[quote name='urbanx' timestamp='1436952095' post='2822236']
How long is this tour?!

Could you take it as annual leave, and use you're office job to fund it?
[/quote]

This isn't bad advice, actually, and is probably a good example of why these things are best approached on a case-by-case basis. I recently had the chance to go on a tour that would have just about fit inside my annual leave allowance - if it had been with my main band then I probably would have done it. Being nearly 30, and considerably more cynical, I knew that one tour wasn't going to break the band into mainstream success, so, depressing as going back to the office job would have been, it would have been less depressing than going back to Job Seekers' Allowance!

(But since they weren't my main band, and I would have been left with no holiday allowance afterwards, I decided to pass up the opportunity, I should probably add.)

Lots of good advice on both sides of the fence there. Looking at it from another perspective , have you thought about emigrating?
To put it another way, it sounds like you are bored out of your mind , and could do with a life changing experience.

IMHO there isn't much for the young folk to look forward to here( very little chance of you getting a mortgage / pension etc)
With the musical knowledge you have, you could get extra cash by teaching . Plus you could play anywhere in the world for fun.
You are young enough to try anything .

The music business is so clinical these days , and lots of your time could be wasted listening to hopeful promises that lead to nothing, because you have the wrong nail varnish on your fingers and not enough tattoos .

I had my first opportunity to go on tour at the age of 32 and thankfully my manager allowed me 3 months off unpaid leave to go on a 3 month tour of the USA. And to top it off they forgot to inform payroll that I was on unpaid leave so when I got back I realised they had paid me and my manager said... it would be too much hassle to get it all corrected so just forget it....!!!

If you are not in a band that is expecting to do a lot of touring it might be worth working self employed or temping so you can get time off to tour without too much problems. That's what I do. Just let your clients know that at the start so they can't suddenly throw a wobbler when you take time off.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1436964288' post='2822370']
I had my first opportunity to go on tour at the age of 32 and thankfully my manager allowed me 3 months off unpaid leave to go on a 3 month tour of the USA. And to top it off they forgot to inform payroll that I was on unpaid leave so when I got back I realised they had paid me and my manager said... it would be too much hassle to get it all corrected so just forget it....!!!
[/quote]

What! ? :o
Lucky you :)

Did you quickly rush out after speaking to your manager, to buy a lottery ticket? lol

Firms of accountants are very twitchy about people moonlighting (I am not an accountant I stress) and you need to seek permission to earn any kind of money outside th firm. I found ,myself in the surreal position of asking the boss if he minded if I headlined the Isle of Wight Festival a few years back.

Life's for living so go for it! BUT..
Be honest with yourself about your abilities.
Keep an open mind.
Work your butt off practicing.
Look at others who pull this kind of thing off. Do what they do.
Work your butt off practicing the RIGHT things.
Don't smoke weed. Very nice and everything but you're going to have to be a doer, not a dreamer.
Did I mention you've got to work your butt off?
Don't be a dick, be someone people want to be around.
Be someone people NEED to be around.
Have fun! (wear a condom)
Read this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1448691621/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1436983064&sr=1-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=begin+with+yes&dpPl=1&dpID=51A6xnIf0AL&ref=plSrch do exactly what it says.

Good luck!

At 25 I had the opportunity to leave my well-paid career in IT in the UK and come to France. I had a buddy that introduced me into the variety band circuit, and I drummed around Western France for a few years with a few bands, and depping. What I didn't know when I started (and that was lots..!), I had to rapidly pick up, learning many new (to me...) styles. Most gigs were 5-hour stints, without a break, playing all from light dance, current pop hits, 'standard' rock stuff and 'standard' jazzier pieces. Didn't pay well, and I was never going to be a star ('twas never my ambition, either...); once married, I took a job in a music shop, but continued playing weddings etc as a duo, a few local pop/rock bands and some depping. I've never looked back on any of it with regret. The family back in the UK didn't understand (and still don't, all these decades later..!) how one can have a different perspective than the 'norme', though.
Only you can decide what to do; the choices are much easier if commitments are low, and expectations modest.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1436878563' post='2821592']
The old saying comes to mind;
"If you want to earn a large fortune playing music.....
...... start out with a large one!"
[/quote]
I thought it was, "If you want to make a small fortune playing music, start out with a large one"? :lol:

PS. to the OP... do it. Just do it. At 22, you are easily young enough to pick up 'real life' and carry on if things don't work out. I had similar opportunities when I was your age -- I was in a great band which broke up, and the drummer went off to study at a music school in London. He called me up a number of times and begged me to come and join him, but I had a job which paid well and was still living at home so I had security, and didn't want to give all that up. So I sat there slowly dying of boredom at my desk job for the next umpteen years, while he toured Japan, Asia, Europe and Scandinavia with the James Taylor Quartet... :(