Why become a member? ×

THE G&L THREAD

dub_junkie

Here's mine, sporting a new set of La Bellas.

Custom colour scheme, cream+gold, maple neck, semi hollow with f hole and matching headstock (I know you can see all of this)

[attachment=12784:CRW_3095.jpg]
[attachment=12783:G_L_ASAT.jpg]

Edited by odub

nig and gareth...really great pics. I see them and I want another G&L lol - nig havent you got some more to show? :huh:

Matt,what a great looking L2K.ditto odub's Asat semi-hollow. if I can post up an ex bass of mine,then this semi hollow now with tonyf is just too lush for words. I would trade back this bass in a heartbeat.

and BB your L2K is the same as the one I had. unfortunately that and the green L-1500 in the poor quality pic have both moved on. I'll probably get both again which is all a bit swings and roundabouts and a bit daft but hey GAS! :)

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='275138' date='Sep 2 2008, 12:48 AM']nig and gareth...really great pics. I see them and I want another G&L lol - nig havent you got some more to show? :)[/quote]

I think nig has about 5 in each room of his house :huh: Bought a lovely L2000 from him recently, and he's quite the authority when it comes to these basses....
Which reminds me, i should get pictures of my brood up soon.
Gigged my L1500 for the first time last night and it was pure joy! G&Ls should come with Thomastik strings on them as stock.
Anyone got an ASAT they wanna get shot of - i really fancy one at the moment....

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='276297' date='Sep 3 2008, 02:58 PM']I think nig has about 5 in each room of his house :) Bought a lovely L2000 from him recently, and he's quite the authority when it comes to these basses....
Which reminds me, i should get pictures of my brood up soon.
Gigged my L1500 for the first time last night and it was pure joy! G&Ls should come with Thomastik strings on them as stock.
Anyone got an ASAT they wanna get shot of - i really fancy one at the moment....[/quote]

I've certainly seen pics of a few others nig owns and read his posts mentioning others still. the blue swirl L5500 and the black lawsuit SB-2? did they sell?
was it a trans blue L2K you got from him? If so,I saw it on ebay and was going to bid on it too. it looked like a sweet bass.

If you had been in the hunt for an Asat a month ago I was selling mine.at the time I also had a deal to trade it for a silver flake JB-2 that was offered to me. anyway long story,he was away on business a few days and I deleted the guys details by mistake,and no one on here bought the Asat.
Since then I've gotten back into it again. all the recent talk on BC of L2000s and L2500s had me up to a hundred but then I thought about it "slow down,wait a minute,plugged in I've got the same as those!"

Incidentally anyone know the chap who has the silver flake JB2? I'm sure his name was Rob and he was from Sevenoaks or thereabouts iirc.

good for you with the L-1500 ,that is one of the most distinctive sounding basses I ever owned/heard/played. I'd never heard a bass cut through like that until I owned the clear forest green one above. my only gripe was the active setting was the same as the treble boost setting on the Asat and L2K which I never use and so had me rolling back the treble a lot of the time. sounded great passive though and was plenty good for me

and yes, pics of your three would be good in this thread :huh:

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='276658' date='Sep 4 2008, 01:37 AM']was it a trans blue L2K you got from him? If so,I saw it on ebay and was going to bid on it too. it looked like a sweet bass.[/quote]

It is indeed that trans blue L2K - she's waiting on some TI flats and then she'll be just perfect - heavy beast, mind, nearly 11lbs. Dunno what wood it is, but it strikes me as heavier than your average Swamp Ash or Alder bass - i'll take a shot of the grain and let u guys decide maybe :huh:

The L1500 has been an eye opener - bought it 'cos it was a US model and all i could afford at the time. Came strung with roundwounds and combined with the harsh preamp made it a bit of a turn-off. Wasn't even sure i wanted to keep it.
Took a chance with a set of TI flats, and did the resistor mod on the preamp and all of a sudden it was like a different bass. G&L really need to review this model - with a few tweaks here and there it could be a good seller for them, rather than just a 'little bastard' brother to the L2K.

As far as ASATs go, i want one because i saw Karl Alvarez from Descendents/ALL (one of my influences) play one - simple as that :)

This is a good thread, but potentially not good for my bank balance :huh:

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='277234' date='Sep 4 2008, 05:19 PM']It is indeed that trans blue L2K - she's waiting on some TI flats and then she'll be just perfect - heavy beast, mind, nearly 11lbs. Dunno what wood it is, but it strikes me as heavier than your average Swamp Ash or Alder bass - i'll take a shot of the grain and let u guys decide maybe :huh:

The L1500 has been an eye opener - bought it 'cos it was a US model and all i could afford at the time. Came strung with roundwounds and combined with the harsh preamp made it a bit of a turn-off. Wasn't even sure i wanted to keep it.
Took a chance with a set of TI flats, and did the resistor mod on the preamp and all of a sudden it was like a different bass. G&L really need to review this model - with a few tweaks here and there it could be a good seller for them, rather than just a 'little bastard' brother to the L2K.

As far as ASATs go, i want one because i saw [b]Karl Alvarez from Descendents/ALL [/b](one of my influences) play one - simple as that :)

This is a good thread, but potentially not good for my bank balance :huh:[/quote]

That's as good a reason as any to get one. Alvarez is one of my all time favourite bass players :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I am so proud of my new USA L2K that I would like to share her with you all.

I bought her from a guy on Talkbass in the US in March with delivery to a close friend who lives on the East Coast. We were due to visit soon after but illness prevented my trip. My friend brought it back with him on a visit to the UK last week .... what is more ... he was not stopped and so no duty ... which equals even better VFM!

What a great bass.

Edited by slazman

[quote name='mistahbenn' post='283305' date='Sep 13 2008, 06:39 PM']Ive just bagged a USA L2500, with ebony fretboard!! Really looking fwd to its arrival![/quote]

[quote name='slazman' post='283645' date='Sep 14 2008, 01:08 PM']I am so proud of my new USA L2K that I would like to share her with you all.

I bought her from a guy on Talkbass in the US in March with delivery to a close friend who lives on the East Coast. We were due to visit soon after but illness prevented my trip. My friend brought it back with him on a visit to the UK last week .... what is more ... he was not stopped and so no duty ... which equals even better VFM!

What a great bass.[/quote]

what a pair of stunning looking G&Ls! congratulations both. :)