Why become a member? ×

THE G&L THREAD

dub_junkie

Hi Si,

I use the LB100 as my workhorse P bass (I also have a MM Cutlass though that is rather stupidly rarely taken out of the case🤔😕)

cant fault the look of the LB100 nor the sound. I do find the neck too chunky though especially down by the first few frets. Feels like a baseball bat compared to the Cutlass. I’ve heard a lot of complaints about the Tribute L2K neck and I’ve had a couple of those. The LB100 neck is bigger than that bass.

I am debating at the moment whether the LB100 is a keeper. Think I prefer J and modern P/Stingray sized necks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fell in love with my first G&L M2000 but foolishly sold it on as part of my downsizing. As a replacement I bought a jazz but was disappointed so again moved it on. Then the SB2 came along and I snapped it up. 

This week I was able to find another M2000 and it came to live with me. 

Can't decide which I prefer TBH...both very good basses for not too much money. 

20201016_124708.jpg

20201016_124715.jpg

20201016_124737.jpg

20201016_124844.jpg

20201016_124757.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello team! Thought I'd upload a pic of my Asat here having just come across this very worthy G&l thread! This bass is a funk monster but also very versatile for all styles. From P bass to Jaco back pickup growl and it's own distinctive character I'm surprised there aren't more users of this incredible bass!

IMG_20190830_195317570.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Horrorshow - I think you are probably right. Ray is nearly always 'clanky'. Not so the G&L L2K - used in passive mode (BTW still functions if battery dies - unlike my Ray which fell over mid gig!), it is much calmer but capable of trebly cutting sounds too. Extremely versatile.

I have 2 caveats with G&L:

a. can be heavy - always ask!

b. don't care for the modern frets and j neck but love them when sorted with my personal options - only in USA models. I'm just too picky, neck is fine for most.

Well worth giving G&L a go. My fave model is L1000 followed by L2k and SB-2 but beware of L1500 - clank city!

Good luck

3 minutes ago, Tubster said:

Horrorshow - I think you are probably right. Ray is nearly always 'clanky'. Not so the G&L L2K - used in passive mode (BTW still functions if battery dies - unlike my Ray which fell over mid gig!), it is much calmer but capable of trebly cutting sounds too. Extremely versatile.

I have 2 caveats with G&L:

a. can be heavy - always ask!

b. don't care for the modern frets and j neck but love them when sorted with my personal options - only in USA models. I'm just too picky, neck is fine for most.

Well worth giving G&L a go. My fave model is L1000 followed by L2k and SB-2 but beware of L1500 - clank city!

Good luck

A Stingray can be hard to tame with rounds, but with flats you'd be hard pressed to find a smoother more velvety sound!

One option with the L2000 is the 'K-Mod' which enables you to split the pickup coils, giving a decent J and MM sound (outer two, inner two). Although I've never tried it.

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

I’d love if those as a 5! What’s it like?

Seems loud for a passive bass and the OMG setting is such a great tone - like a dub reggae tone on steroids. The bass is lovely, fit and finish is a tad higher than the regular USA production basses imo Maybe not to the extent of the MusicMan Classic series v regular but feels to me that bit more lush than a Fullerton Standard or Deluxe. 

40 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Pmtonline.co.uk?

Yes. I got the last one I believe😎

Pharaoh gold was the only colour left but I like garish G&Ls ( I once had a silver flake L-2000 and also a gold Asat bass too) and it’s probably the colour I would have wanted anyway so all good. The price was a complete no brainer.

My L5500, courtesy (5 years ago) of graham1945; what a great purchase it turned out to be. 

The nickel control knobs aren't stock, I've kept the old ones that are standard EMG items but the black plastic always felt sweaty. The bridge pickup is a 40J, I really like the change to the sound this brought about; more of an active J bass sound, I must say the stock sound was never bad but it improved the both pickups on equal / pan pot midway setting. 

Hard to tell from my rubbish photo but it's transparent dark green!

IMG_20210719_140237.jpg

Edited by The fasting showman
Wording
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...