Why become a member? ×

Finley Quaye -- oh dear

Rich

If anyone doesn't know, the Convent ain't your average dog n' duck gig, it's fully kitted out with db pa, in- ears, neve desks, multi camera subscription based net broadcasting. The restaurant is amazing, if you play there you're being paid to eat top quality grub! Quite right for the guy who's invested millions in the place, who lets bands borrow his matchless amps (Mr Quaye included by the looks of it) to insist on quality control! The other thread on here about Gibson slates the MD for taking advantage of customers, nice work this fella for leading from the front and looking after his customers.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1436824669' post='2821245']
If anyone doesn't know, the Convent ain't your average dog n' duck gig, it's fully kitted out with db pa, in- ears, neve desks, multi camera subscription based net broadcasting. The restaurant is amazing, if you play there you're being paid to eat top quality grub! Quite right for the guy who's invested millions in the place, who lets bands borrow his matchless amps (Mr Quaye included by the looks of it) to insist on quality control! The other thread on here about Gibson slates the MD for taking advantage of customers, nice work this fella for leading from the front and looking after his customers.
[/quote]

They've got a nice recording studio there too if it's the place I'm thinking of.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1436824669' post='2821245']
[/quote]

Ah, I did wonder about the Matchless. It seemed odd to me that Quaye (who was declared bankrupt a couple of years ago and seems to have a fairly chaotic lifestyle) was using something so pricey, but that would explain it.

I reckon he's made a bit of a habit of this - I was speaking to a friend yesterday who said he'd gone to see FQ at King Tuts in Glasgow in 2003 , and apart from the gig being stopped it seemed like it was the same kind of performance. It's the only gig my friend has ever walked out of, and he is/was a big fan.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1436825068' post='2821250']
Wasn't FQ largely just famous for being related to Tricky?
[/quote]

I went to see him at his height in Nottingham around 1997ish when the Maverick A Strike album had just come out. The band were really good, but I do remember some incoherent rambling about Tricky (I think Tricky had recently released some material accusing FQ of trading on his name).

He also spent all night having a pop at his drummer, saying stuff like "you're as s**t as Ringo Starr".

As a drummer (at the time) myself, I didn't think the drummer was doing anything wrong and was a bit miffed at the Ringo slate, as I liked and grew up on Ringo's drumming! I was really surprised the drummer didn't get up and belt him one!

Suffice to say we left the gig thinking it was great music, but FQ was an arrogant tw@t. Just my opinion of course.

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1436993078' post='2822714']
It gets better.....

Look at the drumkit theyre using in the video...
[/quote]

Great spot! Of all the loaner kits in the world...
I do like your idea that Quaye was the support act

Maybe they were a bit hasty kicking him off. Apparently the song had a long intro.
A 30 minute intro. :D

[i]Quaye’s ex-manager and good friend Joseph Risolia has defended the singer telling Metro.co.uk: ‘The intro sounds good to me. This song, Troubador, has an extended opening but the vocals were just about to kick in.’[/i]
[color=#000000][left]
Read more: [url="http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/14/remember-finley-quaye-heres-a-video-of-him-being-booted-off-stage-after-shambolic-gig-5295490/#ixzz3g0AOcxus"]http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/14/remember-finley-quaye-heres-a-video-of-him-being-booted-off-stage-after-shambolic-gig-5295490/#ixzz3g0AOcxus[/url][/left][/color]