Why become a member? ×

Dave Hill - thoroughly nice bloke!

JapanAxe

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1437569202' post='2827119']I was at Reading 1980 (i.e. when it was still a proper festival) when Slade were drafted in at the last minute to replace Ozzy. They completely smashed it, I'm guessing dave had juiced his guitar sound a bit to suit the occasion.[/quote]
Dave was using a John Birch custom by then with an onboard treble-booster, with 300w of Hiwatt stacks behind him, a mate of mine in the USA owns the 200 amp now. Slade had until 2 days before, split up. Dave had left due to lack of income in the previous 2-3 years of doldrums for the band. Chas Chandler had talked him into going out with a final blast - and the rest as they say.............

Jim's backline here, including the power-amps behind it was 9000+ watts.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1437576011' post='2827211']
I worked with Roy Wood's niece and I used to see him in The Wheatsheaf in Walsall quite often.[/quote]
There's a story that Roy Wood, Noddy Holder and Robert Plant went to a quiet little boozer in their home area for a few jars years ago and no-one bothered them. The punters were either locals who knew them or any others just wouldn't have believed you'd see all three of them together so left them alone.