Why become a member? ×

Dave Hill - thoroughly nice bloke!

JapanAxe

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1436804441' post='2820935']
On a side note, I met Gerry Marsden (from the Pacemakers) years ago, and he was so down to earth and friendly, it was unbelievable. Had time for everybody. :)
[/quote]

On the other hand I've spoken to people who'd worked on the same bill as him who said the opposite. I guess this is the problem with 'known' people. You catch them on a bad day and they can get tarnished with it as a generalisation in next to no time.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436805251' post='2820947']
On the other hand I've spoken to people who'd worked on the same bill as him who said the opposite. I guess this is the problem with 'known' people. You catch them on a bad day and they can get tarnished with it as a generalisation in next to no time.
[/quote]

Drummer with one of my old bands worked with him a few years ago, said not only was he a really nice guy, but a surprisingly good guitar player as well.

As has been said, you can catch someone on a bad day, and being a nice guy doesn't mean they suffer fools gladly.

I have heard that Joe Brown - my 1st guitar hero - is a nice bloke. But I heard of him shouting at a guitar player at a rehearsal " Turn it f***in down, I'm the star here, people are coming to see me not hear you" Which is harsh, but also fair comment. Isnt it ?

Ithought Mr Hill's hair style was a consequence of him not really having very much to play with. I'm sure there's a photo of the skinhead Slade about 100 years ago and he looks like he's already losing it then.
There's also clips of Slade in the 80s (?) and he's completely bald.
May be the Preacher style hat had hair sewn into it, Jimmy wig style?

As for Joe Brown, that can't possibly be the same hair he had in the 50's?

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1436798796' post='2820849']
Oooooh a scandal! Do tell Kev.

Saw Slade back in 74.....feck me they were loud!! Utterly brilliant too.
Also saw Dave 'n' Don last year, still bashing out the good stuff :)

I would have loved to meet [b]Jim Lea too, was my earliest Bass hero[/b], especially when I try to play Slade songs now and find out some of those bass lines weren't as simple as I thought!
[/quote]
Same here. First musical heroes were Slade. As a kid it was quite reassuring to know that pop stars couldn't spell either..

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436805055' post='2820943']

I'm afraid I'd end up as part of a bridge support on some road extention somewhere. You don't mess with 'shell.
[/quote]

Yes, you wouldn't want to meet with a little 'accident', Mr B. Mwaa haaa haaa! :D

I did front of stage security for Slade and helped the load in and out when they played Nottingham Uni in the early eighties. Jim Lea 'borrowed' my glasses to wear on stage for a couple of songs - he was a really good bloke.

This was when one of their roadies came up with the immortal line line when referring to a flight case with dodgy casters that I was trying to push in a straight line:
[i]"Don't worry about that, mate, the f**king f**kers f**cking f**ked." [/i]Classic!

I remember seeing Jimmy Lea just mingling with all the other regulars in the bar at a gig in Wolverhampton in the 90's, I think I was a bit too starstruck to approach him but it sounds like he'd have been alright with it. I couldn't stop myself thanking Roy Wood for all the great music through the years when he sometimes used to pop down to Rock City in Nottingham for the Sat night rock nights. I didn't take up much of his time and he was very down to earth and rather humble.

Edited by KevB

Same goes for Don Powell the Slade drummer, proper nice bloke.

My band GROUNDED were playing at the BMF Bike Show in Peterborough and we had a call a few days earlier asking if Don could get up and play a couple of song with us, sent set list and though it wouldn't happen ... we arrived and he was standing there with his drum sticks (must have finished his Pot Noodle)

We played Honky Tonk Woman and Paranoid ... solid drummer and thoroughly nice fella !

[attachment=196298:GRD11.jpg]

[attachment=196300:Don P Grounded.jpg]

[attachment=196299:GRD2.jpg]

Edited by Adee

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436886562' post='2821726']
I remember seeing Jimmy Lea just mingling with all the other regulars in the bar at a gig in Wolverhampton in the 90's, I think I was a bit too starstruck to approach him but it sounds like he'd have been alright with it. I couldn't stop myself thanking Roy Wood for all the great music through the years when he sometimes used to pop down to Rock City in Nottingham for the Sat night rock nights. I didn't take up much of his time and he was very down to earth and rather humble.
[/quote]

Someone told me he was at the Robert Plant gig in W'hampton in November. If so, he must have been mingling in again.

Actually come to think of it I believe it was the same venue, jammy beggar's probably got a free pass or something :lol: I guess a lot of those guys within 10-15 years of age of each other from Brum/black country area will all know each other from crossing paths on the gig trail from the 60's onwards. And of course they all bow down to Steve Gibbons ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436895636' post='2821853']
Actually come to think of it I believe it was the same venue, jammy beggar's probably got a free pass or something :lol: I guess a lot of those guys within 10-15 years of age of each other from Brum/black country area will all know each other from crossing paths on the gig trail from the 60's onwards. And of course they all bow down to Steve Gibbons ;)
[/quote]

Steve Gibbons is a very nice bloke, but yes your right. They did all seem to know each other.

It was his birthday yesterday, Last time I saw him about 6 months ago he pulled off a blinding gig. Nothing but respect for the man.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

You guys are making me a very happy man. Huge Slade fan since my early teens and so nice to hear that they all sound to be decent down to earth guys exactly as they have always appeared to be from the stage and screen.

If you never saw Slade live in their heyday then it's a shame as these guys were truly awesome and very f*****g loud in a nice way.

Good to hear there's so much bon-homie for Slade here.
They're all good guys to talk to. H likes his malt whiskies, (hint: if you meet up with Jim these days you'll get a longer chat if you talk gear rather than Slade). I met up with Nod for an hour or so at a do he did in Harrogate earlier this month (he signed some prints for charidee that I had made off a drawing I did of him - his Mrs has the original :) )

Don keeps in touch quite well considering he now lives in Denmark.

Could anyone who's interested please like this FB page for Alan G Parker of "Hello Quo" fame wanting to gauge popularity for doing a similar job on Slade. [url="https://www.facebook.com/sladefilm?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook...adefilm?fref=ts[/url]

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1437325704' post='2825097']
Good to hear there's so much bon-homie for Slade here.
They're all good guys to talk to. H likes his malt whiskies, (hint: if you meet up with Jim these days you'll get a longer chat if you talk gear rather than Slade). I met up with Nod for an hour or so at a do he did in Harrogate earlier this month (he signed some prints for charidee that I had made off a drawing I did of him - his Mrs has the original :) ) & Don keeps in touch quite well considering he now lives in Denmark.

Could anyone who's interested please like this FB page for Alan G Parker of "Hello Quo" fame wanting to gauge popularity for doing a similar job on Slade. [url="https://www.facebook.com/sladefilm?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook.com/sladefilm?fref=ts[/url]
[/quote]liked mate

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1437331340' post='2825134']
liked mate[/quote]

Cool,
- there's plans afoot to to nominate them for some kind of award. Strange that they've never had any of the "lifetime achievement awards", RRHoF or any of that other showbiz baloney.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1437390521' post='2825499']
Liked. :)
[/quote]

Excellent!
Apparently there's going to be a "major" :rolleyes: Slade announcement on FB at 6pm tonight. Nod was talking about wanting to do a solo album in Harrogate, but I highly doubt it's that being made official.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1437325704' post='2825097']

Could anyone who's interested please like this FB page for Alan G Parker of "Hello Quo" fame wanting to gauge popularity for doing a similar job on Slade. [url="https://www.facebook.com/sladefilm?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook...adefilm?fref=ts[/url]
[/quote]

Done & liked - would've good to have seen Slade & Quo touring together back in the day --early/mid seventies in Australia I think - that would been a bit on the loud side.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1437413178' post='2825791']
Done & liked - would've good to have seen Slade & Quo touring together back in the day --early/mid seventies in Australia I think - that would been [b]a bit on the loud side[/b].
[/quote]

Just a tad! They still keep in touch since then, & Rick & Francis were seen several times in the wings at Slade gigs in the early 80s.

*distant trumpets* and
[url="http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/when-slade-rocked-the-world"]http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/when-slade-rocked-the-world[/url]

Edited by Big_Stu

Guest bassman7755

I was at Reading 1980 (i.e. when it was still a proper festival) when Slade were drafted in at the last minute to replace Ozzy. They completely smashed it, I'm guessing dave had juiced his guitar sound a bit to suit the occasion. I'll never forget the sight of 30 odd thousand denim and leather clad rockers jumping around and head banging to Merry Christmas in the middle of a hot summers day - a once in a generation event I guess.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436886562' post='2821726']
[/quote]

Roy Wood used to push Mrs Zero in her pram, when they both lived in Brum. He probably wouldn't recognise her now.