Why become a member? ×

Bargain!

Bass_Guardian

I bought a '83 Fullerton '57RI Precision from a music shop in Chelmsford for £300 in 1997. They even chucked in a new set of strings and a few picks. It had been stripped back to a natural finish and varnished. The gold anodised scratch plate had been painted white. I cleaned that up and I traded on here for a '75 custom build Precision worth over £900.

I bought my big Fender logo'ed JV57 Precision bass for £50 from the archetypal 'bloke down the pub' way back in 1985.

If I recall correctly, his sales pitch went something like: "Oi mate, you play bass dontcha? Wanna buy this off me for a bullseye?"

Edited by matski

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1436775667' post='2820526']
Got a Wal for £550 about 13 years ago, just before they took a serious upswing in price. Wasn't a huge bargain at the time, but turned into one!

[/quote]

Same here. Both my Wals were second hand for great prices. My 1985 MK 1 Custom was £500 in about 1991 or 92. Seven years old at the time, pristine and barely ever played. That was a steal but the guy just wanted it to go to a good home. Fantastic. I got my Pro IIE for £650 around £2000 which was the market price around then. Couldn't afford to buy either of them now!

Bought a second hand Fender Strat copy on Gumtree for £20.

Turned out to be a 1970s 'vintage fake' worth around £500 :) [smug face]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211966-just-bought-a-vintage-fake-now-refurbished/

I've since refurbished it as per the thread above and have decided it's a keeper. Plays and sounds great.