Why become a member? ×

Best speaker configuration, help please!

GarfyBass

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1438896312' post='2838579']
An ABM through a Super Twin is going to be epic - until recently I gigged an EVO II 500W head through one or two Super Compacts and it was utterly, utterly glorious.
[/quote]

Same here, sort of, until I got my PUMA head, I'd been using an ABM evoii 300 through 2 gen3 super compacts and that sounded great with the 5 string jazz I was using at the time.

The Ashdown evoii's eq really suit the super compacts, which dont have tweeters (top 'quoted' frequency response of 4khz), just a bit of boost on the 2 right hand sliders and 3pm on the treble knob had me swooning...

Other options are the 'big' cabs, big baby or big twin, which have tweeters and respond up to 18-20khz, and will work well with any amp..

Guest bassman7755

I the basic message is that these days you need to look at the basic capabilities and specs and audition cabs without worrying too much about the actual driver permutations.

Decide what size/weight/performance/price tradeoff that suits your circumstances and go from there. If you have preconceptions about what size drivers you need you will just be putting an artificial limit on your choices and may miss out on your ideal cab.

Looking through the comments on this and other threads, it seems to be favourable to use either two super compacts (more flexibility) or a super twin (basically two sc's). I guess for smaller gigs, one sc would be plenty and react better if pushed a little where as a super twin would only be getting tickled...although the Barefaced site says it sounds great at 100w but epic at 1200w... I think mine and everyone else's ears would be long gone before i approached that kind of volume 😏...
Time for a call to the guys that know their kit better than anyone else...

Cheers

All the Barefaced cabs I've owned have been startling on a sound to size/weight basis (and, like you, I come from an SVT/810 background years ago), the Super 12T I had was just huuuge sounding, but the most surprising was the Big Baby 2 - I played an RAF gig in a hangar with just that, and I couldn't believe a single 12" plus tweeter could cut it (playing all sorts, but including GnR, Muse, DC with 2 guitarists), but it did. Cash issues at Xmas meant I sold it, but I've got a Compact and Midget now, and they do all I need, and are modular, too. Plus they both fit, with 2 basses, amp and cables bag, in the boot of my Passat...

You could do a lot worse than start with 1 Compact and see how you get on with that, and add another if you need...

I've got a several different cabs cluttering up my house, but if I could do it all again I'd go for a lightweight modular 2 x 112 set up and congratulate myself on a job well done. Running the single 12 would be fine for rehearsals, moderate volume gigs and stage monitoring (if you're going through a PA), then you can bring in the other 12 if you need to go bigger.