Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision tuner upgrades

landwomble

I'm interested in this too. I was under the impression that Hipshot HB-1's are the retro fit tuner for CV basses.

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/drop-in-tuners-for-squier-classic-vibe-jazz.616279/

However I've also seen people talking about HB-7's, although I thought they were for Japanese Fenders and Squiers.

I've got some HB-1's on my Stingray and a CV bass, I'll swap them over and see if they fit - unless anyone here can confirm first.

The problem I've experienced with Squire tuners is not that they don't basically work, it's that the pressed steel lollipop bits are not fixed particularly well in the shaft, so they rattle. I put a set of Wilkinsons on one Squire. New screw holes were needed but the old screw holes were hidden.

The Hipshot HB7s wouldn't be a direct drop in on a CV bass; the tuner holes wouldn't line up and it would require redrilling. If you're not bothered about drilling new holes then presumably nearly any open-gear tuner would fit on there. The HB1s look like they'd drop straight in to the existing screw holes though. I've had no problem with the tuners on either of my Matt Freemans, I'd wait and see how you get on before changing them out.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1436537999' post='2819000']
The Hipshot HB7s wouldn't be a direct drop in on a CV bass; the tuner holes wouldn't line up and it would require redrilling. If you're not bothered about drilling new holes then presumably nearly any open-gear tuner would fit on there. The HB1s look like they'd drop straight in to the existing screw holes though. I've had no problem with the tuners on either of my Matt Freemans, I'd wait and see how you get on before changing them out.
[/quote]

If its the HB-1's then I bought some recently for my Stingray. By far and away the cheapest I could find in the UK was the set of four from Axesrus:

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Hipshot-HB-1-Machine-Heads-s/2274.htm

I would also echo the above in that I've had the original tuners on my CV P bass since i got it and I've always found them to work great; accurate tuning and no rattles. But if you must change them then Hipshots are the way to go.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1436712737' post='2820117']
Further research: if the CV tuners are the same size as the real thing, then Hipshot HB2s are the correct fit. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the HB7s.
[/quote]

CV tuners are not the same dimension as pre CBS Kluson or post CBS Fender tuners, so the HB-2's would definitely require drilling new holes to fit.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1436712737' post='2820117']
Further research: if the CV tuners are the same size as the real thing, then Hipshot HB2s are the correct fit. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the HB7s.
[/quote]

The HB7s wont fit without drilling as the screw holes won't line up. The tuners on the CV Squiers are the same as on the MIC Fenders (Modern Player etc), and are a different shape to the ones used on the MIM basses for which the HB7s are a direct replacement. The HB1s look most likely of all the Hipshot models to fit.

Have just put HB7s on my MIM Fender - a big improvement. The original tuners have a plastic shim under the cog which breaks up and drops out, that's when rattling started. HB7s are a much better design. The bushes supplied would not fit (too small for the bored headstock holes) so I left the originals in. The 27:1 ratio is better, originals were 22:1 . If you want to adjust the small screw that adjusts the stiffness, it looks like a 1/16th Allen key is required.