Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on drop D tuners please.

leschirons

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1436469080' post='2818457']
Correction. The Hipshot XTenders (which is what we are talking about) generally detune to d (if put on an E - although it could detune to anything really). They do a double detuner option which lets you tune to either D or C, ie, it has two stops and you can pick either.

Strangely I can't see that product on their page any more.
[/quote]

That makes sense – without revisiting the hipshot blurb to double check - my brain, subjected to years of low frequency at high volume, sort of but not exactly remembered something like that!! :)

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1436469080' post='2818457']
Correction. The Hipshot XTenders (which is what we are talking about) generally detune to d (if put on an E - although it could detune to anything really). They do a double detuner option which lets you tune to either D or C, ie, it has two stops and you can pick either.

Strangely I can't see that product on their page any more.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. :) They don't actually advertise the double-stop versions, but I noticed that if you click on the details button you get the option to buy either the regular or the double-stop.

How do you cope with the extra floppiness of the E string when down-tuned to D? When I've done it manually, the normal E string was far too floppy tuned to D to be comfortable to play. Considering that the difference between the A string and the E string is generally 20 which is for 5 semitones difference in tuning at the same scale length tuning to D should require the string to be another 8-10 heavier to maintain the same feel.

And as someone who also plays the guitar, I have a separate guitar with an extra heavy E string that I keep permanently tuned in drop D so that the lowest string is not controllably floppy about and sounding out off tune.

Edited by BigRedX

Use it on a Dingwall...no Mr Floppy issue there :D

I've also got them on a couple of other 34" scale basses, and I don't experience floppiness* on either - having said that, I prefer higher tension strings, so I guess that might help...

Edit: This is using a .105 E on all basses...

* Ooer, Madam, etc...

Edited by Muzz

I've got mine on a P with flatwounds which seem to be higher tension than the rounds on my Squier, so no issues with floppiness for me either.
I personally find it a handy piece of kit that hold both E and D tuning very well, instant flick between the two, sometimes even mid song!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436525178' post='2818836']How do you cope with the extra floppiness of the E string when down-tuned to D? [/quote]

We do a few tunes regualrly in Drop-D and, with standard 105 E it's fine. Drop-C is too loose though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436525178' post='2818836']
How do you cope with the extra floppiness of the E string when down-tuned to D? When I've done it manually, the normal E string was far too floppy tuned to D to be comfortable to play. Considering that the difference between the A string and the E string is generally 20 which is for 5 semitones difference in tuning at the same scale length tuning to D should require the string to be another 8-10 heavier to maintain the same feel.

And as someone who also plays the guitar, I have a separate guitar with an extra heavy E string that I keep permanently tuned in drop D so that the lowest string is not controllably floppy about and sounding out off tune.
[/quote]

I found it perfectly useable with a Roto 110 gauge E. These days I use the D'Addario balanced tension set with a 120 gauge E,
But I don't use a D-Tuner anymore...

I mostly play 4 strings
I've only got a 5 string to dabble with
But I do find it heavier than any of my 4 ers

I don't know if I'm alone here,
but my hands (particularly the right) seem to tire more when playing the 5 er - probably due to the extra stretching
I also play DB, and don't find my fingers tire as much as playing the 5 er

2 of my basses have Hipshot D Tuners (A P bass, and an Electro-acoustic)
Both on a 110 gauge E string. Roundwounds on both, with Phosphor Bronze on the acoustic....
I don't find it overly sloppy on either bass.....

Usually, the low D is as low as I need to go
I did find myself using the drop D quite a lot, with an acoustic outfit,
where D seemed to be the most popular key

Not using the drop D much, now the D Tuners have been in place a while,
and the novelty has worn off - But I do think it's useful

As someone else said, once you've got one fitted
you don't HAVE to use it - but it's there if needed
Yes, it's a bit of working out a different pattern,
but I find it easier than adjusting to 5 string, personally
EDIT: And easier on my back.....

I'd recommend giving it a whirl :)

Edited by Marc S

Thanks everyone. Going to order one from Bass Direct, probably tomorrow or Sunday. Hipshot inform me I need a BT2 as I've got Schaller BMF tuners and funnily enough, it's cheaper sent from the UK to here inc delivery than Thomann in Europe with free delivery to France :blink:

So, unless one of you has a chrome BT2 for sale secondhand I'll order one at the weekend.

Thanks for all your input.

I went through a phase of fitting them to all my basses and found, when they worked well, they were very useful. But I also found they rarely stayed consistent and I was having to fine tune manually, which kind of defeated the object. I fitted them always as per video on the Hipshot site. How do people get them to stay consistently de-tuned?

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1436541247' post='2819032']
Thanks everyone. Going to order one from Bass Direct, probably tomorrow or Sunday. Hipshot inform me I need a BT2 as I've got Schaller BMF tuners and funnily enough, it's cheaper sent from the UK to here inc delivery than Thomann in Europe with free delivery to France :blink:

So, unless one of you has a chrome BT2 for sale secondhand I'll order one at the weekend.

Thanks for all your input.
[/quote]

Just places a BT3 order from BD cheaper than Thomann and I'd rather support a UK business where I can. Hipshot were quick to get back t me with the right model for my bass.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1436542626' post='2819050']
How do people get them to stay consistently de-tuned?
[/quote]

On one of mine,I have many, the screw thread is a little looser on the stop and can move about with exuberant stage antics. If I used this bass in the band I'm in then I'd probably drop a bit of wax on the thread to increase the friction slightly.

The others are rock solid though and generally don't even need adjusting when I get the bass out of its gig bag.

I've used them and they're OK... it's easy to learn the songs you need a low-D for, just pattern memory, really. The thing is I think they're unnecessary. With a bit of practice it's easy to just manually tune your E to D and back in a second or two. Then you don't have the expense of buying a D-tuner, the hassle of fitting it (possibly making non-standard screw holes in your headstock), then losing money by selling it when you realise you don't need it...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436609502' post='2819450']
I've used them and they're OK... it's easy to learn the songs you need a low-D for, just pattern memory, really. The thing is I think they're unnecessary. With a bit of practice it's easy to just manually tune your E to D and back in a second or two. Then you don't have the expense of buying a D-tuner, the hassle of fitting it (possibly making non-standard screw holes in your headstock), then losing money by selling it when you realise you don't need it...
[/quote]

Just fitted a BT-3 to my US Geddy Jazz. Took a few mins to fit, holes all lined up perfectly and it's an exact match for the existing tuners. Actually better quality winding mechanism with nice nylon bushes on the peg that the stock ones don't have giving it a smoother action.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1436648639' post='2819804']
Just fitted a BT-3 to my US Geddy Jazz. Took a few mins to fit, holes all lined up perfectly and it's an exact match for the existing tuners. Actually better quality winding mechanism with nice nylon bushes on the peg that the stock ones don't have giving it a smoother action.
[/quote]

Obviously if you don't have to hack your bass about then it's a bonus. I don't have anything against Xtenders at all, I just don't find them that useful when I can get the same result without fitting one! Plus, I'm reluctant to fit one to my 76P because officially it will then be 'modded'. Yes, I know I can get it back to stock easily, but it would be just my luck to lose the original 76 tuner and I'm not prepared to take that risk!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436609502' post='2819450']
it's easy to just manually tune your E to D and back in a second or two.
[/quote]

ive pretty much always played five or six string basses but ive always thought detuners to be a bit pointless for this reason... id never 100% trust it and if im checking the tuning with a tuner anyway i may a well just manually detune.

Edited by CamdenRob

Mine is just on my geddy lee jazz, so it isn't worth less if I mod it (as I already have, I put S1 switching on it), so no harm in doing it. I can understand why you wouldn't want to on something that is a collectable.
And yes, it isn't hard to downtune, I have done it loads, but I would then need to look at a tuner to see if it was right on, whereas with the extender I just push a button, and it is there. Not a huge weight of my shoulders but it goes from being something I have to think about, to something I don't have to think about.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1436652796' post='2819837']
Mine is just on my geddy lee jazz, so it isn't worth less if I mod it (as I already have, I put S1 switching on it), so no harm in doing it. I can understand why you wouldn't want to on something that is a collectable.
And yes, it isn't hard to downtune, I have done it loads, but I would then need to look at a tuner to see if it was right on, whereas with the extender I just push a button, and it is there. Not a huge weight of my shoulders but it goes from being something I have to think about, to something I don't have to think about.
[/quote]

I agree, it makes the performance slicker too. I hate waiting to start a number because someone (the guitarist) is looking at a tuner.

I play in D all the time and use light strings. I love the lower tension and the clank you can get from digging in.

I thought about getting a D tuner to drop the D to a B and even thought about putting one on the A string too.

Floppiness aside, would a standard D tuner drop a D to a B? Or an A to an E?

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1436692849' post='2819932']
I play in D all the time and use light strings. I love the lower tension and the clank you can get from digging in.

I thought about getting a D tuner to drop the D to a B and even thought about putting one on the A string too.

Floppiness aside, would a standard D tuner drop a D to a B? Or an A to an E?
[/quote]

From what I've learned on this thread, the D to B is possible but not the A to E.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436651474' post='2819827']Yes, I know I can get it back to stock easily, but it would be just my luck to lose the original 76 tuner and I'm not prepared to take that risk![/quote]

I can thoroughly understand that!

• 4 years later...

I've been exclusively playing a 4 string in standard tuning for ages after moving from a 5 string. The bass has an Xtender on it but I haven't used it for years.

Last week I was writing with the guitarist in our band and we realised we needed to move to drop d. Having the xtender is going to be so useful at gigs for this one song.

Edit. Wow, what a thread revival!

Edited by rOB

I bought one recently and put it on my Dough Wimbish Spector but to be honest, I've hardly used it. All my basses are 5 strings apart from the Doug Wimbish so I thought I'd need a Hipshot to compensate but I haven't really found the need to use one when I've been playing.