Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on drop D tuners please.

leschirons

I normally use a 5 or 6 string these days but, I seriously miss using my lightweight 4 string Jazz bass over the course of an evening as the others are starting to feel a little heavy in my advanced years.

I've realised, 99% of the time it's for the low D and just the odd occasion where I get bored down the head stock end so move up the board. I saw a covers band at a wedding a few weeks ago and the bassist was using a 4 string (an attitude I think) with a Hipshot drop D tuner. He covered a fair few of the numbers we do and used the drop D a fair few times. I'm not really into changing basses on gigs and wondered if any of you have forsaken the low B string in favour of a D tuner.

The alternative I guess would be buying a lightweight 5 string but thought I'd investigate your opinions first.

Thanks.

Depends really, a 5 or 6 string obviously retains your string intervals, a 4 string in drop D moves your E string out of your traditional fingerboard patterns.
Some people will find a 5 string more comfortable, some people will find a 4 in D more comfortable. Depends how good you are with fingerboard knowledge :)

Si

I have both 5 strings and a 4 string (jazz) with a hipshot. TBH I don't currently use the hipshot much live, but only because we are not currently doing any drop D songs in my current band. In fact with the current band I can use a 4 string in regular tuning.

There are some songs I have done (covers) which I only really know to play in drop D, and for those I would rather do with the hipshot than with the 5 string, because thats the way I learned them.

For songs I write myself, I use the 5 string because that is what I feel more comfortable with.

So not much help, but I can say that the hipshot does work very well and I am glad I have it.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1436385003' post='2817802']
Depends really, a 5 or 6 string obviously retains your string intervals, a 4 string in drop D moves your E string out of your traditional fingerboard patterns.
Some people will find a 5 string more comfortable, some people will find a 4 in D more comfortable. Depends how good you are with fingerboard knowledge :)

Si
[/quote]

I don't think I'll have a problem with new fingerboard patterns. We seem, to do quite a few numbers in D (due to the vocals) and when I've only had a 4 string at my disposal, I've dropped the E to D purely because the numbers sound a bit empty and lifeless played on and around the 5th fret. (Although that could be a jazz bass quirk too) The downside being de-tuning and re-tuning mid set.

I'm just thinking that for the songs that we have in the set that I need (or prefer) a low D, this may be the answer. I've just looked through our set list for this Friday and there are 17 numbers that I use a low D on so, may be the way to go as it's less grief than buying another bass (especially here in France)

I've a 5 string but still prefer gigging a 4 but I've never usedd tuner , instead I drop the E string between songs with a tuner pedal or rack display

Last Saturday i did this but forgot to tweak it back up before the next song, so I had to rearrange my bass pattern to compensate , which took a few bars of not playing so well

Presumably a D tuner would allow you to get over that slot easier and I should also consider one

Edited by lojo

If anyone needs a BT10 then I have one that will be for sale soon. My MIJ Squier Silver Series Jazz seems to have a very odd tuner, which doesn't match any of the hipshots.

When i used to have a detuner, I used it absolutely loads. Even managed to flip it during songs sometimes, there's a D > D# run into the chorus of Cochise, and I used to flip down to the low D, then flip it back up and play the chorus. Nobody ever noticed, but it made me feel cool.

Edited by allighatt0r

Take also into consideration that a d-tuner obviously makes a D available as an open string - some people don't like that and prefer the fretted tone of a D on a 5-string. Depends on how regularly you use open strings.

Edited by juliusmonk

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1436434414' post='2818050']
There's videos on youtube of Michael manring using hipshots on every string and de/re-tuning each string several times during a song. makes my head spin just to watch.
[/quote]
Like this one? This still stuns me every time I watch it.
Yes I know Manring's playing, music and approach aren't everyone's cup of tea (just trying to head off the negatives at the pass here ;) ) but I think this is just beautiful.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4Ra2KOyas[/media]

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1436432745' post='2818022']
How heavy is your 5 string bass?
[/quote]

The Musicman is 3lbs 2oz heavier than my 4 string Jazz.

Problem now (as mentioned by another poster) is working out which Xtender to buy. My Jazz has Schaller BMFL Original series tuners.

Thomann supply one for the Schaller BMFL tuner replacement but as it's listed as a Hipshot H20200N which is not a Hipshot reference, I can't be sure it's the right one. Best if I mail Hipshot.

Edited by leschirons

I have D Tuners on 2 of my basses. They are a simple and cheap mod compared to buying a 5 string. I personally don't get on with 5 strings and have not had to go lower than D so it's a win win situation for me.

I have D-tuners on the B-strings of my 5ers. So I guess maybe they are A-tuners? When I've got some more free time I'm going to investigate modding a normal D-tuner to have an extended arm so that I can have one on the E string as well.

Can I ask a Hipshot Bass Xtender question too, please?

Does anyone on here have the double-stop version fitted to a bass? If so, I'm wondering how low they can be set to go: for instance, on a regularly tuned 4 string could you drop the E string to a lower D and also a lower B?

Edited by matski

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1436447396' post='2818221']
Can I ask a Hipshot Bass Xtender question too, please?

Does anyone on here have the double-stop version fitted to a bass? If so, I'm wondering how low they can be set to go: for instance, on a regularly tuned 4 string could you drop the E string to a lower D and also a lower B?
[/quote]

Don't really know but going to the 5th below with an E string sounds like it may be flappy time. I guess you'd have to really up the guage on that string.

There's bound to be someone on here that has either tried it, or actually does it. I'm sure they'll be along soon :D

Don’t have any hipshot d tuners fitted but my understanding of how they work is you can choose to drop a tone OR drop two tones – not both, so on a bottom E that gives you D or C.
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Correction. The Hipshot XTenders (which is what we are talking about) generally detune to d (if put on an E - although it could detune to anything really). They do a double detuner option which lets you tune to either D or C, ie, it has two stops and you can pick either.

Strangely I can't see that product on their page any more.