Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.9, Surrey, Saturday 26th September 2015

silverfoxnik

Here's a few photos from the Bash that I forgot to put up earlier....

Robert Vanderlinde talk on Set Ups:
[attachment=202538:20150926_113750.jpg]

DB talk bt bassace:
[attachment=202539:20150926_132234.jpg]

The Jam Room:
[attachment=202540:20150926_132827.jpg]

[attachment=202543:20150926_132837.jpg]

Thanks TrevorR for the pics, nice to meet up with new and not so new bass chatter friends. Bluejay....really good pics, I love the "Wal wall of fame" picture. I used to visit Wal basses many years ago when getting my double bass sorted out ( by Neville Whitehead who lived around the corner from Wal) in High Wycombe. I guess it helped me start looking into the workings of woods and basses though it would be a few more years before I attempted building. Your pic of my headless bass and redwood 'fenderish type' bass are two that attracted some potential buyer interest. The Claro Walnut with abalone/paua inlay is my current gigging bass with a 33" scale that is
very comfortable for me. The 'real' Fender is a Japanese 32" scale Aerodyne that is very nice to play. All in all a great day for a bass bash so well done organisers.

More pictures within this from Bluejay's camera work..... [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][url="http://wp.me/p2ZbyY-ut"]http://wp.me/p2ZbyY-ut[/url]

Edited by mybass

• 1 month later...

hi!
i was there during this cab shoot-out, and i am seriously considering buying the prosound 250w passive speaker one of these days (especially if they'll drop the price this friday).

i was just wondering if there is anyone here that can share me a video of the prosound portion of the shoot-out...
thanks in advance.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1443365096' post='2874128']
So, yesterday being a great day and all, below are the results form the cab shoot-out. I`ll also copy this to a post in Amps/Cabs so that others who might not click onto this one - how very dare they - can see what happened.

So, the idea was, following on from last years amp shootout, to use the same bass and amp into a variety of cabs, and see if there was a particular theme/overall winner. As such, using my 2015 US Precision into a fairly neutral sounding Tecamp Puma 900 with all eq set at midday (in the hope it would be a flat setting), the cabs below were investigated. We did a section on 2x12s which seems to be a very poular cab nowadays, 1x15s, 1x12s, and then a very small misc section. For the purposes of the test if the cabs had tweeters I set them to be full on. I`ll list each cab, and the amount of votes it got from the audience as to whether it was their fave.

So the 2x12 section, starting with my very own cab:

Barefaced Super12T - 1
Schroeder 212 - 8
Bergantino CN212 - 9
EBS Neo 212 - 2
EAD 2x12 - 5

So a winner for the Bergantino, and pretty fed up that I made my own cab come last!

Onto the 1x15s

Markbass Traveller 115 - 3
Barefaced Compact (Gen2) - 8
Schroeder 115 - 11
Barefaced Compact (Gen 1) - 3

So a winner for Schroeder

Onto the 1x12s

Barefaced Super Midget (Gen 3) - 3
Schroeder 112 - 3
Fearless 112 (with mid speaker, think a 6?) - 13
Barefaced Big Baby2 (Gen 3) - 7
Prosound PA Cab - 2

A runaway victory for the Fearless then.

The misc section was very small, being OBBMs Phil Jones 4x5 - so it won that section hands down (well done Dave).

So onto the overall faves then, putting the winners from each section above:

Fearless 112 - 4
Schroeder 115 - 5
Bergantino CN212 - 20

So overall the Berg tops it, but it was interesting that over the range of cabs that Schroeder, given the lack of presence of their cabs over here, did so well in all sections. I`m sure a lot of it is to do with the cabs fitting my attack-based playing style, but overall the Schros did very well. Many thanks to Brian (Oldman) for bringing them along.

So, what were my impressions of the cabs used? Well my fave for the type of music I currently play was the Schroeder 212, as it really adds a cutting presence, a hi-mid bias I would say. For bands I`ve been in previously it would have been the Berg. But there were four real revelations for me:

1. The Barefaced Super Midget Gen 3 - such an amazing amount of sound from such a little cab. And quality sound too, not just volume.
2. Likewise with the Phil Jones 4x5, real presence and quality sound.
3. The Prosound PA Speaker - apparently £60 from Maplins. Did the job fine, and wasn`t lacking in any way.
4. I managed, yet again, to get my own gear to come last. This is a pattern that seems to be repeating itself.

But the main thing was, given the variety of cab brands, sizes, configurations, was that I would have been happy to use any of them at a gig. Sure there were nuances to each cab, but overall this shootout showed me that gear is gear, and sure, we all like to get our own sounds if possible, but workable sounds can be gotten from an array of different speaker cabs. Maybe we all obsess just that bit too much (I`ve certainly established that I do from this).

Lastly I`d like to thank Nik and Colin for asking me to do this, it was great fun, and to get to play through such an amazing range of cabs was just amazing.
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Got mine today as well. Did we all get the NYXL's? Is it basically just a new nickelwound?

Funny thing is I only got around to putting the Flexsteels I got at the bash onto a bass two days ago. I don't think i'll be changing from Elixir though! They are absolutely fine strings, but don't get on with the G string tension.