Why become a member? ×

DI Cable for Ashdown Amps

Hi guys,

I had a quick search around and found some of the information I was looking but not everything...

I have had an Ashdown rig of some form or another for some time now but have usually used a DI box at gigs as the bands I was playing with always just used the venues PA, so I tried to stay out of the soundguy's way and just do what he said, which was normally use the DI box he thrusted/threw at me.

I'm now in a band that run their own sound through their own PA, so have had to get together a few bits and pieces to make sure I am gig ready.

The last piece to my puzzle is a cable to go from the DI output on my amp (currently either an Ashdown ABM 900 or CTM 300) to the bands desk for PA use. The current bass player (whom I am replacing as he is moving away) uses an unbranded cable to do this and suffers no problems whatsoever. My only experience of using the DI on my ABM directly is that it caused an awful hum, which it turned out was due to the cable having its pin 1 connected to the DI plug casing, not a problem with the amp itself. This was confirmed by Ashdown.

I cannot find information on any of the packaging or details online of the DI cables I have been looking at as to how they are wired, and as I do not want to buy a cable and then find it is not suitable, I thought I would ask here...

Does anybody know a good place to get a decent quality DI cable (about 20ft/6m should be fine) which will be wired correctly for my needs?

Or would I be better off making my own cable up? If so, what cable are people using for DI cables?

Thank you kindly!

A decent XLR is all you need. Speak to obbm on here - http://www.rock-wire.uk.com

I'd also sack off your amp DI (just so FOH carries on even if your amp dies). Speak to orchid electronics - http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/classic_DI.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys. I started looking at making my own but ended up just buying a Van Damme Starquad and Neutrik equipped cable from designacable as the price of similar quality cable and the connectors plus shipping was pretty much the same as just ordering a premade one.

The band do have a couple of spares in the box, but I would much rather have my own kit.